Booking Caribbean Cruise During Hurricane Season

yuvraj

We always book in week 41, in the early october, because of the school holiday in Norway. We have been on 7 or 8 oct cruises in the caribbean and only have 1 itineraries changed. So we are not scared from booking. We have a cruise on Harmony in only 19 days[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been cruising since 2008, Eastern, Western & Southern in the first week of October every year. The cheaper prices is nice but that is not the main reason we cruise every year in October. We do so because it is our anniversary time so we like to take a cruise to celebrate it. The weather is still nice and hot in the Caribbean during that time and we have had no weather problems at all. If we do get caught up one year oh well......Sh** happens and we have had a nice run with no incidents but it won't stop us from cruising during that time! :cool:

Of course I book during hurricane season. Why not? I live in an area that has a hurricane, or a near miss, 80% of the years that I have been here. I have been hit, with 4 storms. But, my house does not move, but a ship can move, and avoid. I have better odds on the ship, missing a storm, than staying in my house.

Snow storms and cancelled flights from the northeast make me leary of winter cruises from FL though the prices are good. We would need a few days lead time to get there just to be sure. We prefer to go when school is in session as our kids are grown now. Spring could work. This will be our third fall cruise.I think we lost one stop in Grand Cayman once, not a big deal.

We are scheduled on Anthem on Saturday, which could get very interesting. Tough forecast with José and Maria both in play.

If you sail from FL, there are (usually) more alternatives to avoid the storm than sailing from NYC. The only three 7 day cruise options from NYC area are Bermuda, Canada, and the Bahamas. Depending on the timing of the storm, a single storm could potentially go through all three navigational areas in a single cruise week. We were on the Explorer during Sandy. That cruise had no options to avoid the storm.

Irma was a triple whammy for cruise lines in FL. The size, intensity, and timing of the storm turned what are usually reroutings into cancellations.