Check in times and switching cabins?

norwane

I started my online check-in tonight and saw that the earliest we can check-in was 2:30. :( If we get there around noon or 1, will they allow us to check-in earlier, or will we just be sitting there waiting to be allowed to check-in? If we can't show up until 2:30, any suggestions as to what to do between when we have to check out of the hotel and before we can board the ship?

Also, right now, we have a balcony cabin on deck 4. It looks like there is a cabin on deck 8, that is available. Would it be worth the extra money (to go from an 8A to an 8E?) How is deck 4, overall?

Carnival will not allow you to enter the terminal until your check-in time or later. An option is to purchase Faster to the Fun if available which would allow you to arrive and check in at a time of your choosing; however, that doesn't necessarily mean you can board then. Carnival Pride deck 4 does not have cabins below, and deck 8 has Lido above, so either deck is subject to noise depending on the exact cabin location.

I started my online check-in tonight and saw that the earliest we can check-in was 2:30. :( If we get there around noon or 1, will they allow us to check-in earlier, or will we just be sitting there waiting to be allowed to check-in? If we can't show up until 2:30, any suggestions as to what to do between when we have to check out of the hotel and before we can board the ship?

Also, right now, we have a balcony cabin on deck 4. It looks like there is a cabin on deck 8, that is available. Would it be worth the extra money (to go from an 8A to an 8E?) How is deck 4, overall?

To be honest with you, after 1:30Pm, the mad crush is over and it's pretty much stroll right into the ship.

This is with a huge caveat that there are no delays of unloading previous cruise.

Example: In our past 5 cruises, we got to the port around 1, by the time we parked etc, and drop off luggage with the porters and strolled right onto the ship 45 min after.

See my answers in Red

I started my online check-in tonight and saw that the earliest we can check-in was 2:30. :( If we get there around noon or 1, will they allow us to check-in earlier, or will we just be sitting there waiting to be allowed to check-in? No, the Port of Baltimore is pretty strict about the Check-in Appointment times and will make you wait outside the terminal until then. If we can't show up until 2:30, any suggestions as to what to do between when we have to check out of the hotel and before we can board the ship? We usually stay the night before at the Best Western, under their "Park, Sleep, Cruise" package. This includes a night's lodging, buffet breakfast for 2 vouchers (the cost of the buffet can be used towards the sit down menu), free around town shuttle, parking for the length of the cruise, and driver service to and from the cruise terminal. We are Platinum and automatically have priority boarding, but the front desk always asks what our cruise check-in time is to schedule the driver for the least amount of wait at the terminal. We have noticed that some of those with general boarding also staying there will eat breakfast, check out but store their luggage so they can either take the around town shuttle to the Inner Harbor to visit the sights there or to local stores for last minute shopping, avail themselves of the indoor pool, hot tub, and/or gym, or socialize with others in the same situation in the hotel's bar. You should see what your hotel offers that you might do the same prior to heading over to the terminal.

Also, right now, we have a balcony cabin on deck 4. It looks like there is a cabin on deck 8, that is available. Would it be worth the extra money (to go from an 8A to an 8E?) How is deck 4, overall? I find deck 4 to be mostly quiet, above you there are cabins and below you are public areas such as the main dinning room, the FunShops, and the Atrium. On seadays the MDR and the shops don't open till about 9 am so not much very early morning noise, though on port days if over the MDR you might notice some noises. Of course noisy neighbors can crop up anywhere.

Deck 8 is directly below the Lido deck, so noise could be a problem, especially early mornings when the crew is cleaning the pool areas and moving the loungers around or if under the gym section of the spa. With that said we have stayed on deck 8 forward under the spa treatment areas and founded it to be just as quiet as deck 4. The nice part is that you are close to the self service beverages and buffet for any time refreshments and snacks.