St Kitts - Scenic Railway

capegirl

St Kitts Scenic Railway

When:

Daily

Where:

St Kitts Scenic Railway (Needsmust Station), St Peter Basseterre Parish, St Kitts and Nevis

Opening Hours:

Departures at 8am & 1pm

I remember from our cruise last January that QM2 passangers opting for this tour did leave quite early.

You know, I really must stop posting to this board... think I'm becoming addicted.

A Google search shows some great links and pictures.

During our last visit, we opted for the minibus tour and our driver was "mad", every corner was a speed challange to him and could only be took on two wheels. On coming traffic was avoided at the last second... it ended up being like "Wacky Races".

It was a relief to get back to the ship!

During the sailaway party, the ship did a 360 rotation in the harbour (using bow thrusters I assume) it was a fantastic sight and experience... take me back NOW!

Jack

We have done the railroad tour once on St. Kitts.

Just returned from St. Kitts on Celebrity. We did the "off the beaten path" excursion. It was fantastic. Much, Much better than the railroad. In fact, it was by far the best shore excursion that my wife and I have taken in 16 cruises (all in the caribbean).

If this tour is not on the shore excursion list, you can contact the company directly, http://www.gregssafari.com. I think this is the website, if not, just search for gregs safari on St. Kitts. I do not think that you will be dissapointed at all.

• 6 months later...

DO IT!

probably one of the best trips we have done, so nice to see all the happy people kids and workers stopping and waving at the train, st kitts must have some of the nicest people in the west indies. Loved the train and the island, we will return for sure.

regards

jimgib

Can anyone tell me if the tour for the Scenic Railway is in the AM or PM at St Kitts:confused:

The train runs westbound out near the fort in the AM...and eastbound returning to the station in the PM. We took it in April while on Star Clipper for the Antiqua Classic Yacht Regatta. If you don't take an organised tour, make sure you know which end of the island the train is leaving from before you get in a taxi.

I would no longer recommend this excursion. Some of the scenery is beautiful...but it is 'about an hour too long', and you ride past grindingly sad poverty. We found it very depressing. The chirpy constant narration and singing became tedious. The wheezing diesel engine loud and sooty.

In 2005, the St. Kitts government suspended the harvesting of sugar cane...and the huge crop is rotting in the fields. There is some talk of new investment for using the sugar for bio-fuels, but it needs massive investment and in any case is many years away.

This is a beautiful island (from the sea it looks like Maui, in the Sandwich Isles)...but an island having a very hard time sustaining itself by tourism and 'offshore' medical schools alone.

Off my soapbox...sorry. Bottom line..I don't recommend the sugar train trip.

That is sad to hear, about the sugar crop rotting I knew they were stopping the harvesting, so I should have guessed that something like that would happen. They had to bring in migrant workers ( many from Guyana) to harvest the crop so costs were getting more than the crop was worth.

You say about depressing poverty, maybe but the people are so happy from young kids right thru to grandparents. The people are such a delight to be with, it also makes you realise you dont need all our cash and go on fancy boats to be happy.

having said that I would rather have money than not.

regards

jimgib

However, think about the employees on the train who were able to feed their families, because we rode the train. Without tourists, many children would be hungrier! We enjoyed the train, scenery, music and singing. My husband sat on the top, and we were below in the air-conditioned car. More enjoyable than a tour bus!

It was a 3 1/2 hour trip. On our stop in St. Kitts in 2005 there were two departure choices: 8:15 AM and 1:10 PM. It was so popular that both of these departures filled up quickly. So book early if you are interested in this excursion.

It was a 3 1/2 hour trip. On our stop in St. Kitts in 2005 there were two departure choices: 8:15 AM and 1:10 PM. It was so popular that both of these departures filled up quickly. So book early if you are interested in this excursion.

thanx for the info!!!!

Archived