Carnival Hub App

rs45thompson

We are going to be 5 people in 3 different cabins so I guess I won't get my hopes up too high with the hub chat.
Perhaps you could try it and if it doesn't work for you after a few hours or a day perhaps complain and see if they are willing to apply the money spent toward the Social Plan.

Perhaps you could try it and if it doesn't work for you after a few hours or a day perhaps complain and see if they are willing to apply the money spent toward the Social Plan.

That’s a good idea. Although it will cost more buying the internet plan onboard vs ahead of time. I upgraded from my pre cruise bought Value plan to the Premium onboard thinking it would be faster. It wasn’t, so they refunded me the upcharge.

I also noticed that the Social wasn’t available to purchase by the day, only for the total duration of the cruise. This was the first time I had seen this.

Thank you Mr. Splitting Hairs.

Actually that's more than just splitting hairs. You're effectively insulting the previous poster by insinuating that they thought that they could engage in an online discussion with somebody without actually connecting their device to a network. That's pretty darned rude.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

First of all, I am an IT Tech. Second, I cannot tell someone's meaning here other than by their written word. Third, I have met PLENTY of people who would take your answer verbatim and do exactly what you considered to be rude (my wife being one of them). Since you did not expand on your answer, I corrected it. If providing a correct answer that fully explains what is needed makes me rude, so be it.

And if you want to get truly technical, you must have wifi AND and Internet connection from that wifi source to the outside world. Wifi is only the wireless link between a router and a device. Without a pipe from the router to the outside world, the wifi portion is acutally useless (you can have 5 bars but still no service). Most people can't differentiate between the two and incorrectly use the term wifi to mean an Internet connection.

BTW, doesn't name calling make you rude as well (aka the Pot calling the Kettle black)?

Edited by Computer Nerd

Thank you. Glad you told me that I downloaded my app 2 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

You're welcome. Latest version is a smidge more user friendly but the additional pieces of information provided now are the key updates. Really like knowing what is for dinner every night at the beginning of the cruise so I can find the best night to make steakhouse reservations.

Thank you Mr. Splitting Hairs.

Actually that's more than just splitting hairs. You're effectively insulting the previous poster by insinuating that they thought that they could engage in an online discussion with somebody without actually connecting their device to a network. That's pretty darned rude.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I'm sorry, when I first read Sunset's question, I was not sure what they were asking either. It's swell that you were able to guess Sunset's intent, but I found my self wondering if Sunset did not have a phone with wifi. There are still plenty of folks out there with phones that are phones, and even a few that only know how to get on the internet with a square plug. Without knowing Sunset's level of Internet competence, it's probably better to answer "you have to have a wifi enabled device, but do not have to purchase a wifi plan to use the hub app".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you have to have wifi in order to use the Hub app? Meaning, could I pay the $5 total for the cruise and be able to communicate with others in our group who have the app? Not planning on getting the wifi but I would like to get the app.
I think what you're trying to say is, do you have to purchase the Internet plan in order to use the hub app. Answer is no. In fact, you can connect to the wifi on board, download the hub app all for free. After you have downloaded the app, you can purchase the chat feature but all information provided to you via the app, like on board activities, are all free.

Just keep in Mind: I have heard many people say that the chat feature does not work well.

Sent from my E5663 using Tapatalk

That's not good. I was hoping to use it to keep up with my 11 year old. Any suggestions of what might work better?

The best option that is really reliable is two way radios. They're not cheap but you can reuse them on each cruise you go on

The best option that is really reliable is two way radios. They're not cheap but you can reuse them on each cruise you go on

I think by the time you pay for those, you could get two full internet plans and call and text just like you do at home (if both are iPhones) or do the WhatsApp thing.

How could you have forgotten to warn people that they have to charge their devices?

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Actually, you don't have to. You don't even have to have a battery in the device. You can plug the device into a wall socket.

Moot point since though power source has nothing to so with Internet connectivity. Try an stay on subject. :rolleyes:

You're welcome. Latest version is a smidge more user friendly but the additional pieces of information provided now are the key updates. Really like knowing what is for dinner every night at the beginning of the cruise so I can find the best night to make steakhouse reservations.

Sounds like it will be very helpful. Thank you

Impossible given your comments, but I think we've beat this dead horse enough.

My comments have been straight on target based on the OP's question. Your's have been leading people astray but thankfully, they were corrected.

My apologies if I hurt your sensitive feelings with my correct answers.

My comments have been straight on target based on the OP's question. Your's have been leading people astray but thankfully, they were corrected.

My apologies if I hurt your sensitive feelings with my correct answers.

BUU frequently drags out the dead horse when he knows he lost an argument. Way too small a person to say "I was wrong and my snarkiness was uncalled for."

My comments have been straight on target based on the OP's question.
As were mine. We'll have to agree to disagree about the relevance of my comments and the appropriateness of your responses.

BUU frequently drags out the dead horse when he knows he lost an argument. Way too small a person to say "I was wrong and my snarkiness was uncalled for."
Neal resorts to vapid, "from left field" personal attacks whenever he craves the self-gratification of beating a dead horse, instead of actually sticking to the topic of the thread.

As were mine. We'll have to agree to disagree about the relevance of my comments and the appropriateness of your responses.

Neal resorts to vapid, "from left field" personal attacks whenever he craves the self-gratification of beating a dead horse, instead of actually sticking to the topic of the thread.

What is it with you and dead horses? If there ever was an appropriate use of that metaphor, it's how often you use it. You're the one who took the thread off topic with your nasty response to being corrected and defense of the same.

• 2 weeks later...
thank you.. If you remember could you come back and post how you felt the Hub app worked with keeping up with your kids.

Just got back yesterday, enjoyed and extra sea day compliments of Hurricane Nate. Here is how it workedwd for us on the Dream......we were on deck 9 Fwd balcony. Worked well for adults in the room, kids in interior room......sketchy or they just ignored me. (Son verified worked in interior room)

NO connectivity in spa. At the check in desk yes, but in the Thermal whatever area no. Located Fwd deck 11/12

Once you go to an open area.. ... It would hook up again. But that is a Carnival Wi-Fi thing not necessarily the app. Again most glitches were due to carnival wifi.

Occasionally if we experienced problems, we would turn off wifi, then turn it back on. Seemed to solve the issue.

In the hurricane tail winds/storm.....nada...again wifi, not app.

Key: keep the app open. It is not like texting where you get a 'ping' if you are reading or playing a game or in another app. So you need to check it to see if you have messages.

Verdict...worth the $5. I tended to track my kids down with a check in. Where r u? They would get back to me in a reasonable time.... until my son didn't.....so I told him I would shut off his soda card.....he promptly responed. [emoji57]

I would tell them...heading to spa until 4 etc , be ready for dinner at 545, or keep them clued into where we were so if they needed us they knew where to go.

HTH

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Considering the HUB app too,

you mentioned menus ahead of time- are they the real detailed ones, or the one liner that tv menus used to give you like pork loin... Thanks

Also would my senior mom be able to figure out using the app for the texting/chat? she is just starting using a smart phone :rolleyes:

p.s. how fast does chat arrive to eachother? like hey I am at Serenity area leaving it, coming down to cabin now..

Edited by Buffettfan 225
typo

Considering the HUB app too,

you mentioned menus ahead of time- are they the real detailed ones, or the one liner that tv menus used to give you like pork loin... Thanks

Also would my senior mom be able to figure out using the app for the texting/chat? she is just starting using a smart phone :rolleyes:

p.s. how fast does chat arrive to eachother? like hey I am at Serenity area leaving it, coming down to cabin now..

It's been a few months now but as I remember they use the same wording as on the menus in the MDR. Since this aspect of the HUB is free it's worth checking out. Just make sure you update the HUB app on your phone to the latest version before you sail otherwise without purchasing Internet while on board you won't be able to update the app during the cruise (unless you look for free wifi in a port somewhere).

The chat function on the HUB is not worthwhile to me. The biggest issue (IMO) is that it doesn't (or didn't) hold the text if the receiver lost connection. So if someone sent you a text while you connection was down it just went off into space instead of being held until you reconnected. That issue may have been fixed in the newest version of the HUB but I don't know. When I tested with my wife's chat to me (holding both phones) it took about 20 secs for the text to reach me but that will vary from ship to ship based on their network.