What is there to do Close to the Pier??

tennisobo

We have decided to take it easy the day we are in Grand Cayman. (We've already booked stuff to do in our other ports) So, what is there to do and see that we can just walk to from the pier? We're not big shoppers. We like the beach and interesting sights. We've never been to Georgetown but we figure we'll be back some year soon, so we can always do an excursion then. We're just looking to get off the ship for an hour or two.

Thanks! :)

Too bad you're not big shoppers, because there are TONS of shops right as you get off the tenders, bars would be a distant second. There is no sandy beach within a reasonable walking distance. There is shore snorkeling that is fairly close, free if you have your own gear, and has 2 dive shops to rent gear if you don't have your own. They also have lockers at the dive shops.

Here is a map to the site:

edenrockmap.jpg

If you haven't been to GCM before, you are missing the signature attraction by not going a tour, Stingray City. I would recommend against the ship's excursion there as their boats are large and loaded with people. It would be a better experience going with a smaller private operator.

Hello

If you like to snorkel you can do it for free. The cruise ships charge $30 something per person to do this "excursion", but you can do it for free if you have some snorkel gear and a few dog biscuits. It is called the "Ship Wreck Snorkel" what a crock. They don't even take you out of the bay. All you have to do is get off the tender and make a left. Walk down the street about 2 blocks or so. You will come to a small dive shop that a deck out back. Go back there and you can rent a locker and buy a soda. You will see freshwater showers and a ladder that will take you right into the water. About 100 feet away are the people who paid $30+ per person. Do not take your dog biscuits out all at once. You will get swarmed with fish. It is a nice excursion and it won't cost you a dime. Unless you want to rent a locker or something. The people are very friendly. Well, I hope this helped. I am sure you can rent snorkel gear there if you want. It's not the best snorkeling, but it's something to do and it's free. Plus it is kinda cool to look around at the wreck. Take Care!

I was in a wheelchair recovering from surgery last time I was in Grand Cayman...May 05. I was unable obviously to do water excursions, so we decided to take it easy too in the Caymans this trip.

We had tons of fun just hanging out at the Hard Rock Cafe right near the pier. They had great music, food and the bartenders were super. It felt nice just kicking back. There is another place to eat right next to pier that has an outdoor patio, but I cant recall name. Its a white building though, I do remember that.

There is also a Senor Frogs bar that just opened up a few blocks from pier so I hear. We are going there after our beach day while there next March. Good fun there.

It will be a fun day for you even if you dont do excursions. Grand Cayman is such a nice port and its friendly!! You will have a great time!

Thanks to all who have replied. We may do the snorkeling thing.

How is the town for just wandering around and stretching our legs? Is it picturesque (like Aruba or Curacao) or are there any historical buildings close by to visit?

Thanks again, all. :)

Archived