Gluten Free on Anthem of the Seas

Hello. I am sailing on Anthem of Seas in January 2018. I have cruised several times before, however, this is my 1st Royal Caribbean cruise. My question is, how are the gluten free options on this cruise. My husband and son have a gluten allergy and I am just wondering how readily available the gluten free food is and if it is any good. Please let me know, thank you.

Let your Travel Agent know you are GF or if you booked direct with RCI then call them and let them know.

When you hit the dining room on the first night the Dining Room Captain will come to your table and go through all the GF options for you. They will also let you know what the GF options are in windjammer.

My kids got GF pancakes and bread and they were really good about making sure we knew what was GF.

If you do the dining room every night they will bring you a menu for the next night and you can pick your meal then.

They take food allergies seriously on the ship. At least that has been our experience.

-Sean

Yes, be sure to ask in Windjammer at breakfast for GF pancakes, waffles, French toast. They may not have all items everyday but usually at least two. On Freedom it was located in the back.

Also, on Freedom they had gluten free Usi’s cookies at Sorrentos. You had to ask pretty early in the day!

I'm Coeliac and was on Anthem on her maiden voyage - I think I read that dining is different to that sailing now and has more of a MDR system - which is usually better because you have the same wait staff that know your needs :) The menus are usually great with clear indications of what things can be made Gluten Free - and they normally give you the menu for the next night at the end of your meals, so you can choose what you want and they can get it ready :0)

In windjammer, there is more risk of cross contamination which shouldn't be too bad if you are gluten sensitive, but if you are coeliac is more risky - they have an island that is labelled GF and has some of the dishes specially made to be GF, as well as GF bread, and GF deserts :) I have also used my judgement and risked other stuff - Salads, plain rice, fries, etc, but thats up to you as anything could have some risk of Cross contamination by other diners. I've been fine though!!

If you ask, they have GF bagels and they will toast for you (they have a GF Toaster, and the staff wear gloves ) but I tended to go to the dining room for breakfast when I was up in time, as there was a better chance of getting breakfast that was definitely GF!! :) In the coffee bar, they have Udi's Cookies also behind the counter and you have to ask for them :)

Speciality restaurants are also OK, but some better than others for me -

Chops - great for steak and fries, but not a huge variety of GF options

Giovanis - Fabulous, more GF options, they seemed more on the ball and accomodating

Izumi - Again fabulous, but then i adore Sushi, which is usually GF anyway, and they have special GF Soy Sauce!!

All the best

Daisy xxx

Thank you Daisy. Both my husband and son have celiac. We will be eating in the main dining rooms for dinners mostly every night except for a couple of specialty dining nights that we have reserved. It sounds like they will have a lot of options to choose from for my family, which makes me happy.

Don't worry they will do help you out greatly. I know on night one they came looking for our table mates, who didn't show up. One since one of them had a gluten allergy. They showed them the next nights menu and brought them over special bread every night .They will treat you good in the dining room

Sent from my iPad using Forums