Oscar Brown & Company

Ventura

I recently found out, by checking my cruise roll call, that a tour that we booked with Oscar Brown may not be with Oscar after all. It appears that another group also booked him for that same day. When I emailed Oscar to inquire, the response was that he does use assistants, but that he arranges everything. Has anyone else had this same experience, and used one of Oscar's assistants? I've heard such goods things about Oscar, and I'm now concerned that we may get short-changed. Comments would be appreciated.:rolleyes:

I have booked Oscar Brown for my cruise on January 23rd. There are 11 in our group. By reading these boards, I would say that Oscar and his assistants are going to be very busy the day that we are in Puerto Limon. I have seen numerous groups that say they have booked him as well. I have heard that his assistants are very good as well so I am not worried. I am sure that he would not have them doing tours if they weren't qualified as his reputation would be ruined.

Have a great cruise and enjoy Oscar's tour.

Thanks for your response. I've emailed Oscar/Carol, and they've assured me that everything will be fine. I agree that their reputation is on the line -- especially with the way word gets around on this forum. What can go wrong with a day of zip lining and touring Costa Rica?By the way, I'm originally from London -- know St. Thomas well. Have a great trip!

Chucky -- we're now living in the Toronto area. Left London 18 years ago. Happy to give you an update on our tour with Oscar (or whoever we're with) when we get back. Leaving for Florida Wednesday -- cruise departs on Saturday. Can't wait!

Ventura

We just got back from our cruise. We had booked Oscar Brown also. When we got to the pre-arranged meeting place, about 15 minutes early, we were told that Oscar had left already, but he asked to be called when we got there. They arranged for us to go with Geovanni, one of Oscar's nephews. I was a little worried at that point, but had a great time. We had a private tour, just my husband and I with Geovanni. Costa Rica was the place I was least excited about seeing, but it ended up to be my favorite. Hope you have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from the Liberty, and as promised, wanted to let you know about our day with Oscar. First and foremost, Oscar's reputation is well deserved. He is a fabulous guide and we were all impressed with his professionalism and great service. Oscar himself accompanied our group which expanded to 20 from the original 13. Our first stop was Jungle Breeze, and as promised, Oscar ensured that our group was one of the first to get off in order to beat the crowds. A few of the group members opted out, but those of us who zipped truly enjoyed the experience. The drinks and snacks back on the bus were well appreciated. We all enjoyed the banana plantation and although the animal reserve was really a stop at a friend of Oscar's, the kids were thrilled to actually hold a sloth and some other slimy creatures (I only got close enough to take pictures!). Oscar's knowledge and passion for his country was tested constantly with lots of questions being asked and answered. The rain clouds held off, and I can honestly say, our day in Costa Rica was the highlight of our trip.

I was a "Johnny-come-lately" for a tour with Oscar last year on a cruise to Costa Rica. He added a second van with his brother or brother in law driving. The vans were still going to be full so rather than having us crowded, he went and got a taxi and put a group of three in it and the three vehicles went as a caravan. At each stop we all got out and Oscar did the talking so everyone got the same service. I happened to be with Oscar but the people in the other vehicles said their drivers did a great job of pointing stuff out too.

I have been on 7 cruises and do private excursions (no ship tours) and this was one of my two top days - the other was Pete Taylor in Jamaca. Hope this helps

Thanks Tommy, we will be with Oscar In Limon & Peat Taylor in Ocho Rios. We are looking forward to it. I will look on the Jamaica Board and see if you posted about Peat there. If you haven't already done that, would you mind letting us know how that tour was?

Diane

I did post about Peat Taylor - the gist of that post was that we were able to do Dunn River Falls and River Tubing with Peat (one or the other with the ship tour) plus he gave us a nice local tour and one hour of shopping at the market. He had us from 8:30 AM to 4:15 (had to be on the ship at 4:30) and charged $20 pp plus admissions which I think were $10 for each adventure. Our family of four was $160 for an amazing day - I gave him $200 and it was still a great bargain. You just need to tell him in advance what you want to do - read my post under Jamaica - Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I booked a tour months ago with Carole/Oscar for 1/8/06. I outlined the itinerary we needed, and said that I would try to scare up more folks than just the two of us. I wasn't able to do that before leaving. Two other folks from Canada had contacted them from our ship as well.

Well, I managed to talk the six other folks (wonderful, crazy Scots) from our table at dinner into going. Yet another one of Oscar's nephews met us (his name was Alec, I think), I asked, can we fit 6 more in and the quick response was you bet. The 10 of us had a WONDERFUL, I repeat, WONDERFUL time, even though it was pouring. THe banana planation was great, and extrememly quiet as it was a Sunday, and we learned a lot.

Alec placed us in the hands of a truly OUTSTANDING guide for Tortuogua Canal (and tucked us into a boat with very much needed rain slickers for each of us). The man's English was excellent, and his ability to spot wildlife unmatched. Other boats (with wet, soaked tourists without rain slickers) watched this guys every move and "piggy-backed" as it were with us to spot the wildlife. They were polite enough to let us look first, then after we left came rushing over to the same spot.

My only boo-hoo was that only half of us wanted to stop at the hilltop restaurant for lunch. So we got to see but not eat. The food looed outstanding, was very inexpensive, and the setting matchless. I believe that some of the folks on our van were intimidated by the locals rushing up, pressing flowers, etc as we drove up. There was nothing to worry about however, a firm no thank you emphasized by our tour guide was all that was needed to make them back off.

In short, Oscar has a lot of "nephews" and whether you get "da man" himself or one of the family should not, in my experience, deter you.

• 1 month later...

We were with Oscar two years ago and he was equally terrific. He did say he wanted to expand his business and so it seems he has! I so happy for him. What impressed us most was when my son had a slight reaction to a bug bite (which he alway does), Oscar briefly detoured to a pharmacy and got a topical cream to make him more comfortable and reduce the swelling. Oscar is really a great guy (and definately a great value!!).

• 2 months later...

Where does time go, I said I would post about our day in Puerto Limon and haven't. They don't call it a Rain Forest because it is dry;) This day made our second time with Oscar and I can honestly say that he out did himself again. Even with pouring rain all day we had another magical day. We were scheduled to zipline at the closer Las Brisas, but most of us changed our minds since it was raining. Two of our group of 16 chose to still take the zipline and they had a ball.

The canals were full of wildlife even with it raining on and off. Actually the rain might have been a blessing as the temperatures were not hot and steamy.

Oscar has indeed expanded his business and everyone that used his company seemed to have a great time that day.

We will use him again next time we are in Pureto Limon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i am not going to be in limon untill april of next year. i want to do a tour with oscar and will be solo. i am wondering now how early i should book with him? he is getting so popular it sounds like he books up quickly

musicmansmom,

Oscar doesn't require you to pay for your tour until it is over. I would get in touch with him so he can put you with another group that wants to do the same things that you want. Our tours with Oscar have been wonderful and we can't say enough good things about him. Puerto Limon is a wonderful port that I hope to visit again and again. On our last cruise we had dolphins swimming at the entrance of the docking area. We watched them for over an hour while they were fishing.

musicmansmom,

Oscar doesn't require you to pay for your tour until it is over. I would get in touch with him so he can put you with another group that wants to do the same things that you want. Our tours with Oscar have been wonderful and we can't say enough good things about him. Puerto Limon is a wonderful port that I hope to visit again and again. On our last cruise we had dolphins swimming at the entrance of the docking area. We watched them for over an hour while they were fishing.

i have emailed today and asked him when his 2007 calander will be open to start booking tours. i told him i would be solo and need to be put with another group for the canal tour. his tours sound great and the price is fantastic. i cant wait to get an answer back from him.

Jim,

You are very welcome. I don't recommend people that often, but a day with Oscar shouldn't be missed. We found him when he had first started out several years ago. A poster named Basketlady posted a review about how her husband was in a wheel chair and Oscar showed them a great time even with his handicap. Her review really impressed me and we booked with him. I am glad that we have boards to post on so we can share good tours with others.

Archived