Oscar Brown & Company

Ventura

i just received an email today from oscar ( actually carole ) about being able to confirm a tour now for april of 2007. i am very impressed that they are taking bookings this early. i cant wait to go on the canal tour with him.

i sent an email to oscar about when i could book a tour with him on 4/14, 2007 and his very nice reply was to send him a confirmation of the tour i wanted to take and he would set it up for me. now that is what i call wanting to take care of a person wanting a tour with him. i have sent back all the info for the tour i want and hope to hear from him in a few days with the final details of the tour. i love getting all my ducks in a row and knowing i am going to be having the best tour i can get so far in advance. now what to do in the panama canal :D .

We have stayed on the ship both times when we went through the canals. We had an aft cabin last cruise and it was amazing to watch the water right after we went into the first lock. It is very impressive to see the ship approaching the locks, but it is just as fascinating to watch the stern part.

Do your research on the Panama tours as I really didn't hear anyone say that their tour was wonderful. You will need to book with the ship as that wouldn't be a place that I would want to have vehicle trouble.

Cristobol Pier has grown so much in two years. It is amazing how much they can add in a short period of time.

Enjoy your day with Oscar.

hikerchick,

Oscar used to have trouble with his emails, but I haven't heard about that being a problem anymore. His sister Carol normally takes the bookings now. I think I remember him saying that he does tours there as well.

You might want to try a second email to the yahoo address. If you don't get a response let me know and I will try to get you in touch with them.

• 1 month later...

Musicmansmom-- I think we will be on the same cruise and we would also like to go with Oscar Brown. Your note said April 14. I may be wrong, but I thought we were there on the 13th. What did you tell Oscar you would like to do on his tour. My husband and I are interested in joining you. We won't be ziplining, are you?

Musicmansmom-- I think we will be on the same cruise and we would also like to go with Oscar Brown. Your note said April 14. I may be wrong, but I thought we were there on the 13th. What did you tell Oscar you would like to do on his tour. My husband and I are interested in joining you. We won't be ziplining, are you?

hi there, you are so right. i will be there on the 13th. i checked my email from oscar and i am set for that date. thank heavens i didnt make a mistake with him. NO im not ziplining either. i am doing the #1 tour without it. it sounds great. i would be glad to have you go with me. it sounds great and he is so much cheaper than the ship. $45 after the tour is over. give him a call and get set up with me. the more the merrier ;) . let me know if you get booked with him. i did it very early because he is so popular. so get in his book now.

and once again thanks for bringing my mistake too my attention. i cant wait for this cruise. in belize i want to snorkel with the ship ( the tendering is a huge factor for me there ) and i might just stay on the ship in colon. im not sure. the tours are so expensive and i dont know if i want to shell all that money out yet or not. i might just do some shopping close to the ship if there is any. i will have to wait and see.

Musicmansmom,

You will have a great time in Costa Rica with Oscar.

We stayed on the ship both times that we have gone through the Panama Canal. You will find shopping at the Cristobol Pier and should have plenty of time to shop. I don't think I have really heard anyone say that their tour in Panama off of the ship was worth the money. Going through and then back through the locks is amazing. If you stay on the ship lots will leave so you will have more of the ship to yourself to get some great photo shots.

I wish I was sailing with you. Tell Oscar that I said Hi.

i cant wait to go with oscar in limon. we dock at colon 2000. i am seriously thinking about staying on the ship that day. i know the locks are fantastic and a working marvel but i live along the mississippi and boat so i have been through the locks hundreds of times. those tours are so pricey it would be hard to justify going on one. being pretty much alone on the ship sounds more appealing to me.

i will tell oscar you say hi :)

• 2 weeks later...

:)

Musicmansmom,

Got a confirmation back from Carol and Oscar today and we will be on the tour with you.

great , i cant wait to meet you and i know we are going to have a great time. we will have a great tour. i will be the solo one who is going to have a good time no matter what. im so glad you got on the tour with me. we only have about 8 months to go and i cant wait. have you made plans for the other ports-- colon, and belize. i want to snorkel in belize. i thought about the mayan ruins but i will be seeing the rainforest with oscar so i am going to try something different in the belize port. it sounds fantastic and i cant wait to do it. i am a good swimmer and want to do something in the water and on a beach. ( i hope i loose a few pounds by then so i wont be so embarresed about being in a suit :D ) i am doing it with the ship ( belize paridise is who they use ) so the tendering in not a problem. i am not sure about colon. i live on the mississippi and have been through the locks hundreds of times. i know it is not as awesome and not a engineering marvel as the panama but the tours are so expensive. i might try to do a little shopping at the dock and stay on the ship and have the pool/hot-tub to lounge in when it is not busy. it is going to be a great time. i cant wait to meet you. my name is sharon and i will see you on the tour. please tell me about your self.

Sun Catcher,

You are welcome! I won't recommend someone unless I feel others will enjoy a tour as much as I did. What I love about Oscar is that he has all types of tours and can tailor it around what the group wants to do.

What made me initially book with Oscar years ago was his willingness to help out a fellow CC member that had a handicapped husband. He showed them the best time while in port.

Every tour that I have taken with him has been wonderful and we have seen so much more than a ship sponsored tour. When we go back to Limon I hopefully would love to see the volcano, but not sure if that is possible with the time limits set on being back to the ship.

I hope you have a great day in Costa Rica.

Driftwoodgal:

I couldn't agree with you more relative to his willingness/ability to tailor/recommend a tour based on one's interests/needs. My first email contained our ages and interests. He replied with multiple different appropriate tour options along with his recommendation for US.

I'm excited to see Costa Rica.....and pleased that I have a reservation and some assurance that DH and I have a time for pick-up at the dock and that he has told us that we will see someone on the dock holding a sign w. our name (hope they spell "Scavongelli" right :) ..even not, it'll look SOMETHING like our last name? :) ) on it at 8am on 12/16/06.

They did not respond re: appropriate attire. We'll have our packable ponchos. Just wondering re: bugs and maybe wearing light-weight, long sleeved shirts and pants for this excursion, boats?

SCinRI-Marty

Sun Catcher,

We didn't have any problems with bugs in January and we wore shorts and tee shirts. Remember you will be in the Caribbean so it will be warm all year long.

I didn't take any bug spray but did have some towelettes in my fanny pack. We didn't need them either time, but I am not bothered by bugs very often. The pancho is something that you do want with you as it isn't called a rain forest because it is always dry.:)

Our first trip to Puerto Limon was a picture perfect day without any rain. On our second cruise it rained on and off most of the day. This didn't stop anyone from having a good time, but I would have my poncho ready just in case. The boats do give you a pancho to wear during your tour that will keep water off of you,t also shielded my camera. You will get a little more water in the front of the boat if it is raining. This water comes off the tarp above you not from the canal water.

I hope you have a great time and if you have any other questions please post them.

Colleen:

Bugs LOVE me! I'll be bringing the spray and/or towlettes. And, thanks to your post, a cheapy, packable rain poncho from Walmart or some such place. Nice to know there's a poncho available for the boart ride.........need to mindful for the other parts of the tour? I truly appreciate your kindness and advice.

I hope that you and yours have a great cruise as well.

Marty

Marty,

It is only through posts from others that I found Oscar Brown & Company. I just like to pass along a great thing when I can. I hope that you have a great cruise, and I already know that your day with Oscar will be wonderful.

I say wonderful, if it doesn't rain it will be spectacular, if it rains it will be wonderful.

Thanks Musicmansmom. Tried to "google" him and got no website hits. I'll be traveling with my 80 yo mom so I'll see what he suggests.

i am doing tour #1 ( no zip-lining for me :D ). i am sure he will have something that your mother and you will enjoy. i have bought a hat already and i am going to pick up some good insect repellent with deet. i cant wait to go and i know you are going to have a great time too. have fun.

Archived