Tipping on NCL

PoAMHoneymoon

I agree that tipping should be a choice, and am glad it wasn't difficult for you to adjust it. Strange as it seems, I actually miss the old envelope system in a way, because I liked personally giving the tips and writing short notes of thanks to put in them for staff I particularly liked. I do that now with additional tips sometimes, but it seems different, maybe because the extra tips are relatively small since almost $300 already went into the pool. "You were fantastic - here's $10 or $20 more" just doesn't have the same impact on me as the tipper as - "You were fantastic, here's $50 or $100," even if the end result is similar.

Also interesting math, but I come to the opposite conclusion. One thing I know, even though I am not remotely rich (barely middle class), is that I didn't pay for the cruise on the $3-$4 per hour that I think your math came to. Have to admit, though, that the numbers come out higher than I would have guessed without breaking it down.

Something you said - that it's your understanding that extra tips to individuals are pooled - I wish we could get that resolved one way or another so that we all have an accurate understanding. Some very experienced cruisers on this thread have stated the opposite when I asked earlier, and I tend to believe that based on their credibility.

We reduced our “Service Charge” on the Wind last year and again on the Star last week. NCL did not ask anything more that for us to fill out a short form with a space for a paragraph explaining why we were making the reduction.

Roy

When you consider that there are about 2200 passengers on the Star and 1100 crew with probably 800-900 of the crew that are eligible for the tip pool. If all 2200 passengers paid the $10/day “Service Charge” that comes to $176,000 for the pool. Add to that the 15% mandatory gratuity on drinks and any extra tips given to favorite crew members and you probably get a lot more than that (It is my understanding that any extra money a crew member gets has to be turned in to be added to the pool as well.)

That give each eligible crew member a weekly tip of over $200 or more on average. I paid for my cruise and I work hard for my money and I will not be told that I MUST pay a specific “Service Charge” after I have already paid for the cruise. I am not cheep, and I have no problem with someone seeking a tip, but I refuse to be told how much that tip will be, that is MY choice and not theirs.

Nothing against people that choose to tip more if they feel the need, I just don't feel that same need and I do appreciate the ability to alter MY tip with little or no hassle.

I am not cheep, and I have no problem with someone seeking a tip, but I refuse to be told how much that tip will be, that is MY choice and not theirs.

I don't hear any chirping, so I would agree that you are not 'cheep', but it seems to me that you may be 'cheap'

The more that is posted about tipping, the more apparent it is that the pure pleasure of tipping has been completely forgotten.

It certainly is always your choice as to whether you will tip additionally, or at all, as far as that goes.

Personally, we find it pleasurable to tip. If we have enjoyed a service, and have received special treatment, we do not feel "obligated" to tip, it simply seems the proper thing to do, and as stated, we enjoy being able to do so.

If we have ever not received at least good service, we will either forgo the tip, or leave a nominal one.

I do not mean a demeaning penny - that is an unnecessary slap in the face.

The tipping issue is an individual choice. If you desire to tip, do so.

If not, don't - no one is going to chop of the "tip" of your fingers.

If you are satisfied with your decision, surely, no harm is done.

Nicely stated and AMEN!!

That give each eligible crew member a weekly tip of over $200 or more on average. I paid for my cruise and I work hard for my money and I will not be told that I MUST pay a specific “Service Charge” after I have already paid for the cruise. I am not cheep, and I have no problem with someone seeking a tip, but I refuse to be told how much that tip will be, that is MY choice and not theirs.

If I agree with your math do you thing $200 a week is enough ? A waiter on land in a good restaurant can make that a night:rolleyes:

As far as extra tips going into the pool - Your's will. The rules as I understand them is tips from passengers that remove part or all of the service charge must be pooled.

Not fair to get a full share of the tip pool and the extra when the those that could be considered cheap think a minimum of $10 is too much:rolleyes:

If I agree with your math do you thing $200 a week is enough ? A waiter on land in a good restaurant can make that a night:rolleyes:

As far as extra tips going into the pool - Your's will. The rules as I understand them is tips from passengers that remove part or all of the service charge must be pooled.

Not fair to get a full share of the tip pool and the extra when the those that could be considered cheap think a minimum of $10 is too much:rolleyes:

You are right Shoreguy! Two of our sons are in the restaurant business and on their "average" night they make $200!!!

To try to take this in a different direction:

Since shoreguy has a good knowledge of the policy and its implications, I was wondering if there is anyone *not* in the tip pool, and doesn't typically receive tips, that possibly should be. Is anyone getting particularly shortchanged, or is the system pretty good?

And they don't have to work 3 meals a day. :eek:

3 meals a day and the private parties, or the sail-away parties at night, or the buffets at all hours...and on and on and on.

It always amazes me when I see the same people serving at 1:00 AM and then up again serving breakfast in the dining room or the buffet. Would you work those hours for $200 a week? :eek: I know...I know...it's their choice to work onboard...guess I still believe in a fair wage no matter what country you come from.

For me...I'll remain the consummate over-tipper!! :) LOL..maybe that's why they always love to see me onboard again....ya think? ;)

Happy Cruising All!

Michele

This will be our first cruise in several years and are taking our grandkids on the cruise out of Barcelona in July. It did seem to be a bit stiff to tip $60/day for the 6 of us. Kids range from 17 to 7. We won't be doing the formal dining thing 'cause the kids would prefer the buffet and don't want to dress up. Any comments?

This will be our first cruise in several years and are taking our grandkids on the cruise out of Barcelona in July. It did seem to be a bit stiff to tip $60/day for the 6 of us. Kids range from 17 to 7. We won't be doing the formal dining thing 'cause the kids would prefer the buffet and don't want to dress up. Any comments?

Do a search on tipping and see what others say. Its 10.00 a day per person and it includes the person cleaning up the room and alll the servers inclduing those that work the buffet. Unfortunately this is the way they get paid. Kids require as much work as adults(sometimes more). Cruise prices have stayed steady or have gone down if you cruised per 9-11. Personally its a small price to pay...

Your kids will still be using services from cabin stewards, and probably services from the ice cream servers, and the waiters in the buffet cleaning the tables and delivering more drinks.

They will also be using services from the child counselors, who aren't in the tip pool and should be tipped separately as well.

$10 pppd for adults and $5 pppd should be considered as minimum tips, what you should give for average to good service. If you receive better than normal service, you should be tipping more.

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea that the "club" people didn't participate in the tipping pool. How do you find these things out?

Also someone replied that tipping for kids was $5/day. Where is that information? I thought $10/day was added to the daily "account".

We have cruised many times Hawaii, Alaska (twice), Mexico, Greek Isles, West Coast of South America, Panama Canal.Caribbean, Galops. (those are the ones I remember off the top of my head). But it has been years ago and things seem to have changed alot.

Also someone replied that tipping for kids was $5/day. Where is that information? I thought $10/day was added to the daily "account". quote]

From the ncl.com web site, click on booked guests register here and then click on "what you need to know".

What about Tipping?

SERVICE CHARGE

A fixed service charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account; there is no charge for children under the age of three. Our crew is encouraged to work together as a service team and is compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that the service charge supports. It is our earnest wish that you enjoy your Freestyle Cruise experience and that our entire crew in all areas of the ship will provide you with the standard of service for which NCL is known. Therefore, if you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise, please bring them to the immediate attention of our reception desk staff on board so that we can address any issues in a timely manner before the cruise is over.

I think of tips more as a gratuity, which is a gift. I don't concern myself how the gift is used after I give it, I have no control of that. So I wonder why people are concerned about pooled tips. I'm sure there is a hierarchy onboard ships, where the crew and staff have to work to make the larger portion of the "pool", just like working harder for promotions and raises in pay in our part of the world.

I'm one who would like to see the cruise fare increased and to do away with the tipping debate, NCL and now many more lines are doing away with the envelopes, therefore, probably the crew and staff are now earning what they should be paid. If you have poor service onboard, a talk with a supervisor during the cruise will do far more than a complaint to customer service after you're home (takes months for those to be dealt with) or worse, not leaving a tip. People have got to realize that not leaving a tip does not teach anyone a lesson, it only makes you look cheap.

My own personal belief regarding reduced tips for children is why should the server suffer financially because of the age of your child? I've always tipped the full recommended adult amount for my children, it only seems fair to me.

I remember just a few short years ago when people were furious over NCL adding the tips to the seapass card. Now, almost all lines do that and many people enjoy the ease of tipping in that fashion. I think if traditional tipping were stopped and the amounts added to the fare, people would get over that real soon, too. Then, tips could become what they are really intended to be, a gift to the service person for a job well done, given in a kindly fashion with no resentment.

I've never pre-tipped and never will. I'll bet the people who do still receive the same service from their room stewards as everyone else. Year ago I worked in a field where I received tips and I would have been highly embarrassed to be tipped prior to my service (hair stylist). My clients also received the same service from me, whether they tipped or not. Of course, the non-tippers always did hurt your feelings a bit.

grandmamarlene, I did not read where anyone attacked you. People only gave answers and their personal opinions and experience. An attack would be personally directed at you, I don't read that or any "ire" directed towards you.

I'm sorry you're so sensitive and in no way intended on hurting anyones feelings. If it was the comment regarding people looking cheap, it was not directed at any one individual here, just a general comment regarding people who stiff servers out of tips.

Archived