High Hopes - High Ropes: Best Excursion

defreeze

I recently returned from the 11/26/05 sailing on the Constellation and would like to share my utter thill and excitement over the best excursion I have ever taken.

It is called High Hopes - High Ropes and was offered in Dominica. It is a canopy tour of the Dominican Jungle that consists of about 25 wooden platforms affixed to trees high above the ground. You begin by climbing a wooden ladder to your first platform and then you travel from platform to platform by way of various cables and logs strung between the trees.

It is perfectly safe as you are harnessed and connected (in two places) to protective cables. You also must wear a helmet and protective gloves. Some of the cbales you walk along (like a tightrope) holding onto either another cable above, or swinging ropes. Sometimes, you are walking from log to log, or from wooden step to wooden step. Each tree has a different formation. The easiest ones were the zip lines, where you simply slide mid-air along the cable (using a pulley system) to the next tree.

There is even a Tarzan jump, where you swing down holding onto a rope, and then when the rope reaches the point where it starts to swing back, you let go and jump onto a big net strewn between two trees. The course ends with a thrilling zip line high above and across a river.

You must be in pretty good shape to do this because it is a bit harder than it looks. But is is well worth it -- and well worth the black and blue marks later seen on the triceps of many participants, myself included.

DO NOT MISS THIS EXCURSION - IT IS MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!

Archived