Dolphins in PV...questions

melika091900

We will be on NCL star , 1/28/06

I have some questions about the swim with the dolphins in PV

im assuming the water is deep and you have a life vest,

as far as getting in the water with the dolphins??? do you jump in? ( god forbid) or is there stairs like a swimming pool? or a ladder?

any feedback id appreciate,

I definetley have trouble getting out of the water into boats, so i dont want to be disappointed,

any comments id appreciate

thank you all so much

melissa

Hi Melissa -

I did the Dolphins in Jamaica and it was in a contained lagoon like area.

You step down a ladder into the water and you have a vest on. No boat. A lot of fun.

I've been looking into which one we should go to, I wouldn't book through the ship, unless the was using the same company and the difference in cost was minimal.

See you at sea! :D

hopefully PV does it the same way..

on nCL its like 185 per person on the web its 130.. its a toss up

im going to call them tomorrow and make sure it isnt blacked out , from the cruise ship passengers to book on our own,

i will see you aboard

melissa

FYI...just booked a tour with the dolphins with the web site pv4me mentioned...but I booked the 7 hour tour...only $100.00 more for a lot more time with the dolphins...maybe not for everyone but for me...can't wait!!!! LuAnn

devinc...Well...as far as I can tell they are independent of the cruise lines...the only "catch", if there is one, is that you need to take a taxi to the location of the dolphins...but they say that is very easy with the number of taxis' available at the pier and out on the main street. They also said my DH could come along (for free) and observe...last time, on a Princess excursion, he had to pay just to come along and take pictures...when I did this before, for just 45 minutes or so...it was one of the highlights of my life...got out of the pool and just started to cry!! ( of course I'm a big baby and an animal lover) ...please encourage your DW to do this, somewhere, sometime....I promise you and her that it will be VERY special!!!! LuAnn

We just got back from our cruise on the Star. Swam with the dolphins in Puerto Vallarta. Words cant discribe this experience. We booked it through NCL ( $185 ) The facility has an area were all your belongings are kept in a secure spot. They have changing rooms, bathrooms, and a gift shop. You have to take a shower before and after entering the water. The lagoon is deep so yes you do wear life vests. Ladders are used to enter the same. Water is a little on the cold side, but you get used to it. Something we never thought about, it is salt water. We spent about 45 minutes in the water with the Dolphins. Will do this again in a heartbeat!!! The staff at the venue take pictures and video tape the whole experience. Photographs are $10, video tape runs $38, DVD is $42. They except credit cards. We were originally booked to take this excursion in Acapulco and lucked out that we were able to do it in PV ( itinerary change on the Star ) This adventure made the whole cruise for us. Enjoy!!!

You may want to read my posting at the bottom of this page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=237708

As far as your husband taking photos: Unless he has a good zoom lens, a lot of the interaction will be bit of a distance (visually) from where he will have to remain. But, no doubt, he'll find the expression on your face priceless!

I had a wonderful day there, and would do it again. Very nice people to deal with, and all show a great appreciation for the dolphins.

Paul :)

We just got back from our cruise on the Star. Swam with the dolphins in Puerto Vallarta. Words cant discribe this experience. We booked it through NCL ( $185 ) The facility has an area were all your belongings are kept in a secure spot. They have changing rooms, bathrooms, and a gift shop. You have to take a shower before and after entering the water. The lagoon is deep so yes you do wear life vests. Ladders are used to enter the same. Water is a little on the cold side, but you get used to it. Something we never thought about, it is salt water. We spent about 45 minutes in the water with the Dolphins. Will do this again in a heartbeat!!! The staff at the venue take pictures and video tape the whole experience. Photographs are $10, video tape runs $38, DVD is $42. They except credit cards. We were originally booked to take this excursion in Acapulco and lucked out that we were able to do it in PV ( itinerary change on the Star ) This adventure made the whole cruise for us. Enjoy!!!

thank you for the info... did you take any pics????

I would love to see them,,

my email address is

melissaofoia@sbcglobal.net

thanks

melissa

Hi Meliisa

we spoke with the staff at The Dolphin Adventure yesterday. They said you are not allowed to take a camera in .

They have a toll free # 1 888 333 3105. This is their Video Dept. Did not ask if maybe their trainers could take some underwater pictures for you.

Jens

thanks so much for that info,, I figured they wouldnt let us take that in, but hey,, im still going there. thats for sure.... im so excited

thanks for all the information

I love these boards and the people on them

happy holidays

melissa

:D

I have done this before with the ship.. but have booked it for PV with puertovallartatours.net. It is a complete day (Dolphin Trainer for a Day) for $225.00...a real bargain considering 90 minutes is 185.00! Being with the dolphins is a wonderful treasure...I cried when I got out of the water...it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life...don't miss it! LuAnn

I am a MAJOR animal lover and supporter of many animal groups. I understand individuals concerns regarding the capture and the use of these animals in a controlled environment. I tried the "wild dolphin adventure" in Hawaii several weeks ago, but due to an ill passenger we were not able to continue the cruise beyond the snorkel aspect...but we did see MANY dolphins "playing" off the bow in the Lahaina harbor (from the cruise ship)...it was great...they are real "show-offs'"...I think there are two sides to this story...as there always are...it is important to understand and value the dolphins and teach future generations about them...easier to do when they have an up-close and personal experience. In San Diego, we have a world famous Zoo...there are many people who feel that zoos are wrong because the animals are confined...(at the Wild Animal Park they live as they might in Africia, but without the chance of being killled by a predator) but I feel zoos are important because they try and care for and nuture those wild animal species that still inhabit this world..in any event...I think that those of us who respond to this tread are obviously animal lovers! LuAnn

No cameras or video devices are allowed, because after the swim, they have photos and videos available for sale. If they let you take your own, nobody would buy them.

The photography is above-water, but maybe if you specifically asked, they could do underwater, who knows?

The videos are fun - I recommend you buy them - we bought ours and it's good memories. We have our photos with the dolphins on our wall still today, 5 years later.

thanks so much for that info,, I figured they wouldnt let us take that in, but hey,, im still going there. thats for sure.... im so excited

Hi Melissa,

Did you mention to Vallarta Adventures that you were cruising on the STAR? I emailed Vallarta Adventures about the swimming with the Dolphins excursion they offer and this is the reply I got from them...

Dea Maragaret,

Thank you for your e-mail. If you are coming with the NCL star you will need to book directly with your ship as they hold all of the spaces on our tours that day.

Natasha Johnson

01322 2971212 ext 425

free phone 1888 3032653

Hi Melissa,

Did you mention to Vallarta Adventures that you were cruising on the STAR? I emailed Vallarta Adventures about the swimming with the Dolphins excursion they offer and this is the reply I got from them...

Dea Maragaret,

Thank you for your e-mail. If you are coming with the NCL star you will need to book directly with your ship as they hold all of the spaces on our tours that day.

Natasha Johnson

01322 2971212 ext 425

free phone 1888 3032653

\

that sucks.. oh well. thanks for the info, i guess ill be paying about 185 per person,, oh well, its worth it, thanks again

& happy holidays

Knowing me I would leave on the NCL sticker they put on you as you leave the ship....LOL.

I may just end up booking with NCL since I didn't particularly like the refund policy with Vallarta Adventures. Since were travelling on a ship we know has engine problems I don't trust that they won't change the port times or order. We'll just have to use the $50 pp on board credit towards the difference in price.

:)

Archived