Questions about the Dream

redhead101

A group of us, 16 in all, friends and famlies are taking the Dream out of Houston Jan 14th thr 21st.

I used Cruise Critic for our first cruise back in Dec of 2001 and picked up some good tips and shore tour ideas.

I was wondering about a couple things from reading a few posts. Is the Dream now doing all four original ports? Cozumel, Honduras, Belize and Cancun? Or are there still engine problems or ports dropped due to hurricanes?

Is Cozumel a tender now due to hurricane? I saw some remarks about tendering there and wondered because no one said why. Last time I was there there was a dock for cruise ships.

Last but not least, what if any shore tours can you book without using the cruise line? I did two of our three ports last time and was very happy with the results. Smaller groups and less money.

I am specificly interested in the Myan ATV ruins and beach on Cozumel,

Jolly Rodger Catamarain in Honduras, the River Safari in Belize, and the Jeep or ATV tours in Cancun.

Any help from past cruisers on the Dream would be very appreciated.

The Dream's diesel engines seems to be repaired from the reports coming in lately. There's equal prop wash from both propellers.

Cosumel is a tender port now becuase a hurricane destroyed all the docks, and it will take millions of dollars and months of time to repair them.

Cancun is still closed, when it will reopen for cruise ships I have no idea. The Dream should be able to stop there when it reopens. Let's hope that will be sooner rather than later.

I was under the impression the tenders being used at Cozumel were from Cancun. Therefore, even if Cancun reopens, either Cozumel's docks will have to be rebuilt, or more tenders will have to be built. Obviously, Cancun won't reopen for cruise ships until Cozumel's docks are rebuilt.

I got my electronic travel documents in my email and on the itinerary it shows Cancun arrain 9am depart 3pm so I was wondering if they are planning to still go.

Any past cruisers to Cozumel, Cancun, Honduras and Belize with links to shore tours?

We would like to budget as soon as possible.

Thanks

I was on the Dream for the week of Nov. 26. Our documents also listed all 4 of the ports. When we got on the ship we received a letter that said the engine had been fixed and so would make it to Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. Cancun was cancelled due to hurricane damage. We received $12.81 (I think) per person for the port charges for Cancun.

Cozumel is using tenders. They are very large boats and so take a long time to load and unload. This was especially true when getting back on the ship. Try to sit by the exit!!!

If you look at the boards for the specific ports you might get an idea of things to do. We booked an excursion with a dive shop in Roatan since we had some scuba divers in our group. I know of others who hired a taxi for the day and were able to see the island and do some great shopping. THey booked that on the pier after getting off the ship.

In Belize we booked an excursion with Coral Breeze. THere is a lot of info about this on the Belize boards. I posted some info about this as well. We loved it!!!

In Cozumel we just did some shopping along the main street after getting off the pier. Then we took a taxi to Paradise Beach. I do know that the diving and snorkeling wasn't too great in Cozumel yet.

Hope that helps. :)

Archived