Lido Balcony or Ocean Suite with Infant?

Dixie24

Looking to do the 4 day Victory cruise to Key West and Cozumel when my daughter is 9 months old. Trying to decide between a lido balcony or an Ocean Suite, which is $510 more than the Balcony.

I know the crib will fit in Suite just fine, but has anyone had a crib in a balcony cabin? I can't see how it would fit in there but would like the savings if it can. Anyone have any experience? Thanks!

Look at it this way...

A suite will give you priority boarding and end of cruise priority disembarkation. If you or your SO are Platinum+ it will not make things faster but if gold or below it helps by not having to wait on long line then sit waiting for zone boarding.

Either gives you a balcony to sit on while the infant is napping, but an ocean suite does give you the dressing room which might be able to fit the port-a-crib, almost acting as a interior cabin with very little light if the bathroom and cabin door is kept close. This would allow whomever is doing the nap sitting a chance to watch TV in the main bedroom portion of the stateroom. (Or privacy for adult pursuits.)

Speaking of TV if you bring your own cables the suites are the only rooms on board where the TV input/output hook-ups work, this would allow you to bring other devices allowing the in cabin TV to play your own DVDs on a portable player or game console to be used. (A very popular feature for older toddlers and preschoolers.)

I'm sure other posters will be along with other pro/cons for your situation.

The crib or pack n play in a balcony will have to sit right in front of the couch. There is still room to walk around to the bed and such but not really to use the couch. The balcony was great to use when my 15 month old was napping or in bed for the night (we took turns for going to shows, I usually did the really show because I usually get tired before my husband anyways). Something I found helpful was bringing a battery operated baby monitor, just a cheap audio one. That way if my son woke up or cried I could still hear him on the balcony.

For sure you would have more room in the ocean suite but you don't necessarily need it. Does the ocean suite have a tub? My son did NOT like the shower in the balcony cabin, something to think about.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Edited by horsegal

Oh, that's another thing suites do have a full sized tub (actually on most ships a whirlpool bath) plus a double vanity in the bathroom and a large dressing room counter, either of which in a pinch can be used as a changing area if the bed is otherwise occupied.

Look at it this way...

A suite will give you priority boarding and end of cruise priority disembarkation. If you or your SO are Platinum+ it will not make things faster but if gold or below it helps by not having to wait on long line then sit waiting for zone boarding.

Either gives you a balcony to sit on while the infant is napping, but an ocean suite does give you the dressing room which might be able to fit the port-a-crib, almost acting as a interior cabin with very little light if the bathroom and cabin door is kept close. This would allow whomever is doing the nap sitting a chance to watch TV in the main bedroom portion of the stateroom. (Or privacy for adult pursuits.)

Speaking of TV if you bring your own cables the suites are the only rooms on board where the TV input/output hook-ups work, this would allow you to bring other devices allowing the in cabin TV to play your own DVDs on a portable player or game console to be used. (A very popular feature for older toddlers and preschoolers.)

I'm sure other posters will be along with other pro/cons for your situation.

I stayed in the OS on the Victory last month. I don't think a crib could fit in the dressing room area and there is no door/curtain that separates it from the living room. The TV is mounted right on the wall next to the dressing room, so the sound can be heard in the dressing room. The TV also is stationary :mad: and does not swivel and faces the balcony window. There is also no double vanity, but the bath tub was very nice and the whirlpool function worked great.

Anyways, I would not book the suite for anything but space or the bathtub IMO. It was only a $100 upgrade for us, but if it was $510, we wouldn't even had think about paying for it. Mind you we were four adults. For the sake of everyone, I rather have one of us sleep in an upper bunk than that horrid trundle bed the steward brought us. Wish Carnival would fix the trundle bed situation as our sofa bed on Holland was way better.

But since you have a child, you can put a crib right in front of your bed if you would like. There is plenty of room. I'm not sure if it will fit on the balcony, but I can promise you it will fit in the Ocean Suite.

We've done both with babies and young children(and also done ocean views and insides) While suites are nice, they aren't necessary.

If money is tight, there is nothing wrong with a balcony. There's a whole lot you can buy with an extra $500!

If baby is a light sleeper, you can sit on the balcony during naps.

As far as bathing, nothing wrong with sponge baths. In our situation, our kids have all been fine in the shower-the shower head is removable and the floor of the shower has a 1 inch "lip" that you can fill for a very shallow bath.