Impure metals allergy

travel-to-go

Well, I have gotten so many good answers from the great people here (Where else would I have learned about magic powder- And not the kind customs checks you for with the dogs, either! <LOL>) I figured I would try y'all with this one.

Would any of you here have any suggestions for how to deal with allergies to impure metals- earrings with nickel in them, for instance?

I know, I could just buy only silver and gold. But there are so many cute earrings out there that I love to wear, or that maybe match a dress for formal night. I don't want to "sit home while the rest of the world goes out" so to speak.

I know when I was a kid and my mother wore clip-ons (which I can't wear- between losing them and hurting my ears) she used to either paint them with clear nail polish so the metal wasn't touching her ears, or put Dr. Scholl's Moleskin on the backs of the clips.

It's rather difficult to paint pierced earrings with nail polish- and it tends to flake off inside your holes. I have bought replacement hooks, when possible, but you can't do that for post-type earrings, and a jeweler can't really replace them either (I used to make sterling silver jewelry and cut, grind, and polish gemstones and set them. You solder the posts BEFORE you set the stones. The heat could crack the stones.)

And for those times that I just can't resist wearing those earrings which are dripping with Austrian crystals that make one look like some 40's movie star dragging her white mink down the grand staircase <G> without paying a queens ransom, what do I do after the fact- when my earlobes itch and turn red and ooze? (punishment for the sin of vanity, I suppose!) I usually put Neosporin ontiment on them, but then I don't wear earrings for a week or two to allow my ears to heal. I've asked my allergy nurse. She was useless! They don't deal with THAT type of allergy, and the answer is always to avoid the allergen.

Any good hints?

Please?

I am leaving on the QM2 in three weeks! I'd love to wear my nice (but impure) earrings!

Thanks,

Karie

I have your same problem with cheap earrings. What you experience is contact dermatitis due to the poor qulaity metal used for the posts of the earrings.

As the Neosporin helps you after the infection sets in, the only thing I can think of is to put the Neopsporin on the posts before you put them on. Another thought is to coat the posts with over-the-counter cortisone cream before you put the earrrings on, because these creams help with mild contact dermatitis also.

These ideas are one thing to try. Be advised that your ears may be as sensitive to the Neosporin as they are to the poor quality metal. My mother cannot use Neosporin. She has to use Bacitracin instead.

One other thing. I have discovered that heavy and "swingy" or "dangly" earrings irritate my ears more than, say, hoops do. I guess it is the constant swinging and movement that causes the trouble. Another thing I do is try not to wear earrings for very long periods of time and never to bed. The longer I wear them, the more likely my ears are to get sore.

Thanks for the response. I hadn't thought about Neosporin being a problem in and of itself. Funny- I put some on tonight and it seems to be worse! Maybe that's why! I never thought of the cortisone. I'll try that!

I had tried putting it on before putting on the earrings on occasion, but not religiously.

<sigh>

Three weeks! (and three days)

I can't offer any suggestions for the irritation, however, I thought I'd add that you're probably not limited to only gold or silver wires.

I've had costume jewelry earrings that were made with surgical steel and they are generally good for people who have allergies to the other metals.

Jane

I have a severe allergy to nickel and other impure metals. I cannot wear anything less than 14k gold jewelry, which is frustrating as there are so many cute non-14k gold items out there. I discussed this with my jeweler at Zales and she advised me that jewelry can be dipped in a substance called rhodium, which is a silver-white metallic element, is highly resistant to corrosion, and is extremely reflective. She said this should alleviate any allergic reactions I have to impure metals. You may want to check with a local jewelry store about this possibility. I have tried the Sensitive Ears products, which are nickel free, and still have experienced the same result - irritation.

I hope this helps!

You might like to try Simply Whispers, www.simplywhispers.com. I have very sensitive pierced ears and am able to wear their earrings with no problems at all. They do have a few sterling or 14k earrings, but mostly sell a nice range of costume at reasonable prices. They also have a few bracelets and necklaces. There are replacement parts, too--wires, earring backs for posts, etc. Good luck!

Somehow I just knew I could count on this crew to steer me in the right direction! Y'all are simply a wealth of knowledge! Useful stuff at that!- So giving and helpful, too!

I have bought some earrings from Kohl's (now that they built one near my office and I don't have to drive an hour in the wrong direction to get to one!) Bad part of that is... There is now a Kohl's one exit down from my office <G>

Oh well, their prices are so good that an occasional binge isn't so bad. I'm not a shopper by nature... Although I spent this afternoon doing exactly that. Spent $200 at Micheal's. I never knew there were so many different types of craft paints I just couldn't live without! I have bought their jewelry findings on occasion, but alas, they don't sell hypoallergenic. And as others said, I sometimes have trouble with those. I got a very cheap pair at Fashion Bug last year that I could keeop in for weeks at a time, which is what I need to do! Sometimes if I take them off, I leave them out (I'm not much of a jewerly or make-up person for everyday work attire) Then I have trouble with the holes wanting to close up. I wear a cloth watch band. Sometimes I even have to take that off if it is hot and I get sweaty.

Oh! Back to Michaels! (I I can't go back there. I already spent all my money there! <G>)

I bought a cheap scrap book- on sale- and lots of goodies for putting together all my stuff when I get back. Good borders, stickers, sayings, palm trees, a ship, suitcase, a few tropical looking drinks, thongs, leis, hibiscus, Even one which says Caribbean! Now I will have no excuse not to organize everything when I get bacK! I usually get an extra daily program to put in, along with other stuff.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will check out Simply Whispers post-haste, I will head to my local jeweler after seeing what earrings I simply MUST have treated. And yes, some surgical steel posts I do okay with, others I don't. It may be that something else is tocuhing my ear besides the post itself.

And MrsMoose, I always welcome your input! Thank you for your kind wishes. I am getting so antsy! 3 weeks and two days! And the other half of me says, Oh No! I need more time! <G>

Thanks to all!

I know that Claire's also has earrings for sensitve ears. Also, when I got my ears pierced at Claire's they gave me a huge bottle of stuff to put on my ears. My ears don't bother me much now, it's been almost a year, but every so often I wear a pair of earrings that irritate my ears. I just put that stuff they gave me on my ears, and they are healed again in no time! I don't know what is in it, but it seems to cool them down right away.

Good luck!

Archived