What to do with a few days in Italy?

We're finishing up our Greek Isle cruise (Grand Princess) this July in Rome. Then we're spending 3 nights in Rome. So we leave Rome on a Tuesday, but really don't need to be on the plane until Saturday. I'd rather not drive myself, and would prefer the train. I was thinking we might head up to Cinque Terre area, and then fly out of Milan. We've never been to Italy, so I'm a bit lost, and was hoping I might get some ideas here. By the way, we'll be in Venice a few days pre-cruise.

Have you been to Florence? If not, you can take the train from Rome to Florence in less than 2 hours. If you are going to have lots of luggage, I don't recommend taking the train. You can hire a driver instead. Where are you flying out of, to come home?

Italy is a smorgasboard - there will always be more than you can see or do in one trip. The Cinque Terre area is really nice (try the pesto!) but I also recommend the Lake Como area. One of the most beautiful places I've seen. You would probably want a car, however, but it's well worth it.

Have a wonderful trip!

I would take some additional time in Sorrento. From there you can visit Naples, the island of Capri and Ishia, Pompei, the Amalfi Coast etc. We spend our honeymoon there and have been back several times, the food is amazing, the scenery spectacular, and the weather is usually great.

Thanks for the suggestions! We'll be doing a quick stop in Naples with the ship. We going to see Sorrento and Herculaneum. If we do head north, it seems like Milan is a good city to fly out of. We've not made our air reservations yet. Thanks again!

You could also book reservations on the Eurostar take it from Rome to Florence stay for 2 days and then on the Venice for 2 days and fly home from there. An open jaw ticket from to Rome and home from Venice should not be much more than a RT to Rome.This way you would get a nice,but brief taste of Italy since you will be south anyway. No matter what you do enjoy your cruise and stay in Italy.

Archived