West Jet - cancelled flights - what did they do for you?

coco_808

Hi

I'm getting a little confused on what the airline is obligated to do for you when they cancel your flight.

I heard that Air Canada and United rebooked their passengers on alternate flights with no additional charge - then why is West Jet not offering the same? They are only offering a refund.

Has anyone gotten something more from West Jet than just a refund? Thanks for sharing

Hi

I'm getting a little confused on what the airline is obligated to do for you when they cancel your flight.

I heard that Air Canada and United rebooked their passengers on alternate flights with no additional charge - then why is West Jet not offering the same? They are only offering a refund.

Has anyone gotten something more from West Jet than just a refund? Thanks for sharing

Hi...just a refund for us.

Hi

Technically they are supposed to get you on another flight, but often will try and only use partners within their alliance. Westjet may not have had any partner airlines with available flights. Air Canada tried to get us on United flight, but the flight schedule did not line up with our trip and so we took the refund and rebooked ourselves on another airline.

• 2 weeks later...

We were booked from YLW to SJU through YYZ with WJ using WJdollars and a companion fare, WJ had no way to get us to SJU, while on the phone with the WJ CSR I was able to find a flight with Southwest reasonably priced from FLL and the total was pretty close so we fly WJ to FLL and SW from FLL to SJU.

Technically they are supposed to get you on another flight, but often will try and only use partners within their alliance.

I think they only need to try to get you on a flight if they have other flights or partnerships.

WJ is tiny with no partnerships that I know of. Therefore, refunds are what you’ll get.

AC and United are huge and have partners, and can put you on different flights.