USS Arizona, is it possible to see day 1?

comfixit

I am taking the Pride of America sailing on the 17th. The first day our air is due to arrive in Hawaii at 10AM local time. My parents would really like to see the USS Arizona at Perl Hearbor.

We probably need to go to the ship to check in and drop off our luggage (and perhaps get lunch and reserve dinning times for the week). Then in a perfect world we would like to head to the Arizona, see it then come back to the ship well before it sails.

Potential problems as I see them are that the ticket times for boats that go out to the Arizona fill up quickly. Furthermore their is a muster drill (at 5?) which is supposed to be mandatory for all on the vessel (although if we missed it we wouldn't technicaly be on the vessel) so I wonder what happens if you miss that?

Anyone who has been to the Arizona and/or done the POAM have any advice on if its feasable?

The tender tickets for the USS Arizona are handed out at 7:30am. A lot of people go to the line up before 7am, or shortly after. That way you get on the first few tenders and see it before the crowd.

I think it is 3,000 tender tickets that are handed out each day, and if they're out, they're out. Sometimes they're out by mid-morning. Sometimes they still have tickets till the afternoon. If you can still get a tender ticket at mid-morning, the tender time might be in the afternoon.

You arrive at 10am at the airport. By the time you get luggage and get a ride to the pier, it will be noon. Depending on how fast you check in and do othere things you like (book dinner times?), it'll be into the afternoon. If you really want to, you can still catch a taxi to see if you can still see the Arizona.

Or maybe try another day in early morning.

One option might be to drop by the Arizona Memorial after leaving the airport and before heading to the ship - then you can pick up tender tickets and if it happens to be in the afternoon, then you know how much time you have to drop off luggage and get lunch before heading back. The Memorial is actually really close to the airport area. Just a thought ...

Spleen

Hey guys thanks for the ideas. Ok so help me brainstorm the logistics here.

We got luggage and airport transfer from NCL (which we could forgo). If we take a cab straight to the memorial to pick up tickets (and hopefully get an afternoon tender) how much time does it take to pick up the tickets around 11AM. Is it a 10min thing or something that could take an hour? Can I pick up tickets for my whole family without them being present?

Another idea would be to break up the group (we have two seperate bookings). Send group 1 to the boat while my wife and I take a cab, forgo the NCL transfers get tickets for 5, then get on the boat, eat. Group 1 can take care of reservation times for dinner. Then we relax and take a taxi back to the memorial giving ample time to catch the tender and were good to go.

How often do the tenders return to the shore?

How long will it take to get from the Arizona to the pier assuming rush hour traffic (on a Saturday?)

Thanks again for the help.

What time does your return flight post cruise leave? If it's not until mid-to-late afternoon, the ship offers a tour that includes transportation and keeping your luggage on the tour bus while you take the Pearl Harbor tour, then they drop you off at the airport.

I thought of that. The plane leaves at 2PM but the cruise line had some small print saying the tour was for people with flights departing later then 4PM if I recall correctly.

I have heard the Arizona is a must see while in Hawaii, I just have such a limited timeframe while in Oahu. If I stayed a day before of after I would be in good shape, but no such luck.

Logic would dictate that with most attractions within a resonable proximity of the ship getting in at 10AM and leaving at 8PM it would be enough time, but with the tender tickets it makes the situation more difficult. I wish there was a way I could purchase admission and tender tickets online. Does anyone know if this is possible?

This site will give you all the info about a visit.

http://www.nps.gov/usar/pphtml/planyourvisit.html

If your luggage includes a transfer to the ship, I think I would do that. I don't know how that is handled post 9/11 and if you must claim your luggage at the airport???

From our limited trips to the Arizona, we think weekends tend to be more crowded. Arriving after 11 am could be a problem getting tickets. As far as I know each person taking the tour must get their own ticket although I would think they may make exceptions for someone in the party who is unable to stand in line?? In answer to your last question, you cannot purchase tickets in advance.

They will not take full size luggage at the storage facility at Pearl Harbor. That largest size they will take would be a small carry on (no larger than a large backpack).

Arizona "tickets" cannot be ordered or reserved online. They are handed out only on a first-come-first-served basis at the memorial. (BTW, there's no "purchasing" involved; tickets are free.)

There's absolutely no way to say how long it would take to get tickets. It's almost certainly going to be much longer than 10 minutes, especially later in the morning. And has been noted, once all the tickets have been distributed for the day, that's it. By 11 am, it's entirely possible that the tickets for the day will be gone.

As an additional FYI, when commercial or ship tours to the Memorial promise "special" things like guaranteed admission time, they are not being honest. No one gets special treatment in regards to the tickets.

(Sorry, don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I thought it would be better to know the realities.)

beachchick

I think the possibilities of seeing the Arizona are diminishing. The crux of the problem is my families luggage which we have no way of storing unless we check into the boat at which time the likelyhood that tickets will be available is not something we can count on.

Ok what do you guys think of this idea.

Family takes cab to Arizona and gets there at 11AM with luggage. We have two groups Group 1(Me and My Wife) as well as Group 2(Mom, Dad and Sister).

Group 1 goes in and gets tickets while Group 2 watches luggage. Group 2 goes in and (hopefully) gets same time but perhaps gets later time.

If Group 1 has 2 tickets earlier entry then Group 2 then we try and find someone who asks for 2 tickets and see if they would like to trade their later time for a slightly earlier time so our family can go on the same tour.

If that works we would then have time to take a cab to the boat and check in. With luck if we had a late enough time slot we could even have lunch and make some resevations.

Does anyone see a problem with that plan (assuming the gods are kind to us)? If we got a 5:30 ticket and the tour ends at 6:15 does that seem like its cutting it way too close to get back to the boat by the sailing time 8PM (but probably need to be on at least 30min prior to sailing).

Lastly is there a place to check baggage at the terminal before checkin? Maybe another option is get to the pier ASAP even if it means taking a cab and forgoing the free transfers checking the baggage if possible then hightailing it back to the Arizona to hopefully get a ticket time.

How I wish I had a crystal ball, it would make the logistics so much easier to work out.

Thanks again for everyones continuing advice.

The last tour for the Arizona is 3 pm and will end approx 4 pm.

From some of the posts I've read from folks doing a pre cruise stay with NCL, the luggage is taken from the hotel and placed in their cabin. I would guess they may do the same thing with luggage from the airport. The only thing that may throw a monkey wrench into it would be that you may have to claim your luggage and give it to the NCL representative. You would still have carry on luggage to deal with, but if it's not too large, you should be able to store it at the park.

Going along the same lines as what you were thinking.

What if I taxi/transfer to the pier, drop the tagged luggage on the conveyor and then high tail it to the Arizona and pray that I get a ticket. I would keep the carry ons with us, but at least those we can pay to store while we do the Arizona tour.

For this to work I guess the main question is at 11AM or so, before the official check begins can people drop off tagged luggage or do you have to be checked in to check your luggage?

This might provide the best chance for us to hit the Arizona. If the last tour ends at 4PM that should give us more then ample time to get back to the ship before the 8PM departure.

Thoughts?

Even if you cannot get the tickets to take the boat out the the memorial iteself, there is a museum in the visitor center that has some nice arifacts to see. You all could take turns seeing that and watching the luggage. Also You could even go over to the Missouri instead and get a really unique view of the memorial from the front of the ship. The Missouri and Arizona are moored together...back to front.

Just another thought if you get there and the tickets are gone.

Since you already have transfers for your luggage, I would just send the luggage to the pier. I'd be about 99% sure that even if you ride along, you are not going to handle your luggage again until you get to your cabin. In all probability NCL will have someone at the baggage area at the airport to take your luggage to the ship. I really don't see any reason to go to the pier and really think you could go straight to Pearl Harbor, BUT I would check with NCL. Hopefully someone who has sailed recently will respond.

The Memorial actually straddles the Arizona and the turrets and outline of the ship are visible from the Memorial. The Missouri is a distance away so it's doubtful that you could see the outline of the Arizona.

As Suebee said even if you can't get tickets, the visitor center and museum are nice to visit and also the USS Bowfin submarine is right next to the visitor center. If you have time they have a self-guided tour of it and also in the park there, they have plaques telling of the exploits of the submarines lost in the Pacific.

Personally I think taking a chance on getting tickets would be worth it.

Can you see the sunken Arizona from the front of the Missouri? What can you see when you get tendered out?

You can see the Arizona from the Missouri (and vice versa of course). It's actually an awe-inspiring sight, IMO. You realize how WWII (Pacific theater) came full circle: where it began and where it ended. I took pictures of the Arizona Memorial from the Missouri and pictures of the Missouri from the Arizona (not from shore, but on the memorial itself). We put them side-by-side in our album--wonderful. On the memorial, you can look straight down and see the Arizona. You will see little oil "bubbles" come to the surface. This is what is still oozing out slowly all these decades later. There's a real sense of the tragedy and history involved. Also, on the tender out, they talk to you about some of the other ships and casualties. Often we forget that the Arizona wasn't the only loss that day.

A few suggestions for you: You could, as you mentioned, forgo the ship transfer and rent a car (a van for all your luggage). Then hit the road and go straight to Pearl Harbor. The idea to split up the group is not a bad one, but I would NOT recommend that you all try to get tour tickets on the same tour because there is no way to rent a car (van) large enough to hold luggage for 5 and have it "hidden" from view.

Some people do leave their luggage in the car trunk and just go for it. I don't consider this wise for two reasons. First, there have been break ins before and no doubt will be in the future. (And I am not saying that there are more car break ins in Hawaii than elsewhere; I am saying that they do happen just like in any urban city--and especially at tourist attractions and beaches. Locals, you know how precious DH and I think your beautiful islands are; no disrespect meant.) Second, it is hot and usually humid. If there is anything in the luggage that will be affected by this for an extened time (think medication, make up, etc.), you have to keep that in mind. So, IMO it would be best to go in two groups with the other minding the luggage.

Have you looked into a private tour? I don't know if there are companies that do van tours, but that could help with several issues. You could arrange to be picked up at the airport (no spending time on ship transfers or getting a rental car) and go straight to Pearl Harbor. The tour driver could stay with the luggage, so you wouldn't have that worry either. It's something to consider, but I honestly don't know if it's a reasonable suggestion.

As Suebee wrote, it is well worth going to Pearl Harbor even if you don't get to the memorial. There is a lot to do and see there besides the memorial. Plus, just standing on the shore and seeing the memorial and all that surrounds it gives me chicken skin.

The idea to possibly go to the Missouri is a good one. Some of the tour tickets for that can be bought in advance. (There is no free admission to that as it's not a National monument, but a privately funded museum.) There is a self-guided tour that allows you to just go at your own pace. There are guided and special tours that do have scheduled times. Be aware that you cannot drive over to the Missouri on your own (unless you have a specific military pass) and that the same no bags/backpacks/waistpacks rules apply.

Have a wonderful trip and lovely cruise.

beachchick

Beachchick....great response. The other cool thing about the trip over to the Missouri is that you can see the Ford Island Air Control Tower. It was featured inthe movie Pearl Harbor and was untouched after the attack in 1941. Incidentally, the barracks on Ford Island will become another Museum to open hopefully in a year.

There are so many other cool places nearby but you simply cannot access them without an ID. The UTAH for example, is on the other side of the island from the Arizona and the rusting hulk is still sitting out of the water where is was bombed all those years ago.

On Hickam Air Base, the buildings still have the bullet holes.

I myself found that the movie had so much more impact the second time around and after being at the memorial.

Sorry there are no current tours that can take you where the active duty go...and you dont have enough time for the Home Of The Brave Tour.

But you will have a spectacular time visiting our islands.

Oh and one thing to keep in mind....if youre on the right side of the airplane (as youre sitting), make sure to look out the windows when you decend. 90% of the time The planes pass the south of the island, turn around, and come in over the mouth of Pearl Harbor. You will see the entire harbor spread out like a fan below you....you'll see the naval ships, Ford Island, and even the memorial and Missouri....just before you fly by Hickam Air Force Base and land....Wave and I will wave back!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Dan I think that NCL requires you to claim your baggage once as you get on the transfer and once when you get off it. At least that was the experience my mom had when she took a different NCL cruise (Not NCLA). It could be different but I think I am going to be baby sitting the luggage to the pier at least. The cruise docs I am keeping on my person when I get to the Arizona.

Wish me luck.

Suebee: I had forgotten about all the stuff you see on the bus ride to the Missouri, like the Ford Island Air Control Tower. I don't know how I could have not mentioned it--my DH was in heaven the entire time. I'll be sure to tell him about the barracks becoming a museum (open to the public I presume?). I guess he'll probably insist on another trip to go see it. Oh, woe is me--back to Hawaii again!

It looks like we may actually by back your way sooner then our once-every-two-years average. We're seriously thinking abouting cruising on the PoH next year. I suspect there will be some good deals to be had when there are 3 ships doing the inter-island run. Can't wait!

You're right about sitting on the right side of the plane if possible. DH absolutely insisted that on my first trip (his 20th or so) we get seats on the right. That's exactly what the pilot did, and it was a beautiful sight.

Aloha.

beachchick

For some reason, I cant make it bigger....I hope this one looks ok. Its a view of the Missouri and Arizona together....a different angle than you would get from the tour.

I have a bunch more pix but I dont want to upload them if they are going to be that small....they are fantastic on full screen! Sorry.

848275217_IMG_2662(WinCE).JPG.fd0e7c6025cdd7472d2bd0091fa010ff.JPG

One thing I do not see mentioned in the timelines of getting to and from the memorial is the tour time. You need to plan probably at least two hours at the memorial to complete the tour. You have to cue up in line for your ticket time, there is a movie (about 20 minutes as I remember), line up for the tender, ride over, you spend 15-30 minutes on the memorial, cue up for the return tender, ride back, disembark.

Hope you can figure it out.. It is well worth it. Next trip you should plan to see the Missouri...also worth the time and effort. :)

Archived