Independent Tour operators - experience?

MattInFLL

I am wondering if anyone as used the independent tour operators, such as shoretrips or portcompass to book in Progresso? We are thinking about Xumal (sp?) and there are private tours for 4 or 6 that are OK in price.

I have mixed feelings about this port from what I have read here. I personally never liked Cozumel, or Playa del Carmen...not because they're overrun with tourists, but I just don't get the appeal of shopping for knick knacks, overpriced jewelry, and eating or drinking anything with a constant worry about how it might affect you....with the exception of Puerto Vallarta, I have had trouble finding Mexico charming... so maybe if we go to the ruins and avoid the rest, it will be a nice day.

Matt. After two port calls to the Progreso and two land vacations throughout the area, I have never had any kind of problem with food or drink. Everyone uses bottled water and purified ice.

In fact just returned from two weeks in Merida, Santa Elana/Ticul, Campeche and Techac. Uxmal is awesome and Merida is a great large and historic city with bldgs dating to the mid 1500s. Merida does not depend on tourism for it's existance; it's the state capitol and home to four universities. It is the real Mexico and pretty sophisicated.

BTW. Merida and Progreso have no Calos & Charlies or Diamonds International or any other cruiser chain stores.

Archived