What to Do About the Super Senior Cruisers

kitty9

I have a card in my wallet from the United States Tennis Association stating that I am officially a Super-Senior. To play as a Senior you have to be 50, and Super-Seniors start at 60. Last year I played in the regular league (19-49), the Senior League, and my Super Seniors team won the local league and went to the State Championships. I also played in three doubles "quads" each week. I try not to "shuffle" too much on the tennis court. I also climbed the 178 steps to the top of the Tybee Island, Georgia, lighthouse last month, although that was much harder than playing three hours of tennis. :eek:

I'm not trying to brag.... (okay, maybe a little bit :D) , but my point is that age does not necessarily determine a person's physical ability or mental acuity and as we get older, it becomes more and more offensive to hear all of us categorized as doddering, shuffling "inconveniences" to society.

Allen

To answer the original question, I would have a gentleman from your party discretely mention it to the person, or ask a staff member to do it. It is less awkward to do that then to see this poor guy 90 minutes later and think he flashed half the ship unintentionally (I presume).

We are two men who travel together and if I saw a woman in a simlar predicament (say, with her skirt tucked into her panties in the back), then I would ask a waitress or some other woman to tell her.

Geesh, some people get offended so easily. My grandparents are in their mid 80s. My grandfather tells me I'm looking "stocky" and I tell him he's only got a few good years left. We laugh about it and he puts me in a wrestling choke hold till I ask for mercy. Bear in mind I'm 35.

My last cruise with my grandparents a year ago, even they commented on how rude some of the older guests were. Rudeness has no age requirement.

SOME really let you know they think they are A#1 on board.

I'm polite and acomodating until it goes too far then my reaction towards them has nothing to do with age and everything to do with correcting someone who has bad social skills.

The old gent with his fly open. Unless something worse than a shirt is sticking out.....let him be.

And for the record, my grandparents are the dang coolest, hobbling, complaining about their aches and pains, ornery "super seniors" I know.

Oh for heaven's sake, this was meant in jest. Boy, have we all become so politically correct in everything? Geez, you can't call a older person a senior, you can't say Merry Christmas at Walmart. What's next? Can't call a kid misbehaving on a cruise an out of control teenager because you're lumping all teens into one group?

Let me tell you folks something. I'm an overweight, disabled woman who walks with a limp and I don't let things said in jest get me in a lather. I've taken tons of crap from more people that I can count who've made fun of how I walk, since the age of 3 and I don't get all in a tizzy over it.

I totally agree!!! People are getting so nasty about everything!!! Enjoy life, I lost my Mom to cancer last year....now she had something to be angry about!!!! I miss her terribly and she never once complained about anything; just was greatful for her time she had, and stayed faithful to God all the way through. Thank you Mom for the wonderful examples and life lesson you taught me!!!

And, as has been noted, it can be a delicate situation. My MIL appears healthy and can carry on a conversation, but might not remember what she was doing 10 minutes ago or what she was supposed to be doing. If you correct her, she can get angry in an instant. Case by case...exactly.

That is exactly what I was trying to say---I have this same situation with my MIL. ;)

I like the fact that some restaurants here give "senior" discounts to those of us over 55!!! :D

When my mother in law was in the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease, a stranger might not realize that there was anything wrong with her because she was still able to have a delightful conversation with the same poise and grace that she always had. The only problem is that she spoke about people who died years ago as if they were still alive, as well as other items of of misinformation, that would only be obvious to someone who knew her.

I agree with the original post; that approaching a very senior senior with his fly open is a touchy situation.

No way I can get past this one. I wouldn't "touch" it with a 10 foot pole. :eek: :D

How funny. When I saw the title of this thread I thought she was talking about a super (or superb) senior. In other words, one that was above average.:D I guess my mind tries to go to the positive, not the negative.:rolleyes:

Garry

........and I thought it was referring to a large group of people who were able to take advantage of those great super senior discounted cruise rates. Go figure, maybe it is as Woody Allen stated in I think it was Annie Hall, "the biggest crime in my family was paying retail."

As a resident of aport Charlotte I can reassure you that they are all safely back in their rebuilt condo's. Although I do not live there myself,I know that they do have a very interesting social life. Unfortunately the condo's I live are the opposite. In cruising terms they live "a la 6 star" while I live in "3 star" but I am lucky I get away cruising three times a year, so I must count my blessings.

Jan 6th it will be HAL 30 days Sth Pacific, April 10 days on Princess Sun and next November I hope to do 25 days Back to Back on Infinity Alaska, Mexico and Canal to Fort Lauderdale.

So sorry -- I did not mean to get everyone all excited because I thought it unfair to intimate that all super seniors are feeble, senile, rude or just plain nuts.

I know plenty of folks in their 40s like that.

I am a pretty laid back cruiser == I don't make a lot of racket, I don't run around in my bathrobe, I don't think I slobber at the table, I don't shove lmy way to the head of the line, I wait my turn in the elevator and all those nice things.

The only thing -- you an usually tell when I am coming by the tap tap tap of my cane.

I just want to be treated like everyone else. And talked about like everyone else. Just don't call me an old lady.

love

joan

JoAn, you are NO WAY AN OLD LADY!!! Far from it! You and I may have canes (although most folks think mine is more a weapon 'cause I'm no where near as nice as you!) but we are NOT OLD! We have more fun than most folks I know!:) And you are a pleasure to travel with! Any time, any where, I'm happy to be cruising with you!

Darling Joan, I, for one, enjoy each and every post of yours, especially your rambling rose when you cruise. I'm so looking forward to our cruise together on the Connie! And you could never offend me!:D

Garry

Just don't call me an old lady.

love

joan

Joan,

I am assuming you are objecting to the "old"? I, on the other hand, would not want to be called an old gentleman when I am in my nineties. I won't admit to the "old" and I want to still be able to behave in a "non-gentlemanly" manner.

Originally when i read this thread header i was thinking "super senior" meant they were so fab and active the op couldn't keep up with them and that would be the issue..............................Then I read the rest.

Archived