Are the Drinks Packages worth the price ?

LeoLes1968

This is my standard response to the drink package question.....

Don't forget about the water! A bottle of water runs $2.50 in the ship. Grab a couple for an excursion or a couple for your cabin and the package easily becomes affordable.

Simple math.....

--- 2 bottles of water per day (with the package we tend to do 4 each) $ 5.00

--- 2 drinks at dinner (Wine, liquor, etc) @ $12/drink 24.00

--- 2 drinks during the day or evening @ $10/drink 20.00

--- 1 random beer @ $6 6.00

TOTAL $55.00

Now the math isn't exact or perfect, but it shows that its close enough for the casual drinker to at worst break even. But you also get the peace of mind to not have to worry about during the entire cruise. You want a drink...have a drink.

We got the package for $45/pp/day. I'd say 95% of the time you'll be able to find a drink package sale at that level or better before you sail. For our trip last February on Adventure OTS, we caught a sale for $38/pp/day

I tell my fellow travelers that its not worth fussing over +/- $5 a day. GET THE PACKAGE.

Your math is just fine. I don't think 5 drinks during a day is a lot. HOWEVER... you need to keep in mind this is the AVERAGE number of drinks per day. If you're off the ship in port, when you return, you still need to drink your 5 drinks. Some people may not be able to handle 2 drinks at dinner and 2 at/after shows... especially for multiple days in a row.

You need to know how you drink.

I also love the argument "I don't want to worry if I get a drink I don't like." So it makes more sense to (potentially) pay hundreds of dollars extra so you don't "waste" $12. OK.

If you get the alcohol drink package on a sale (like $41-$43), the break even becomes 3 drinks and a cappuccino...it becomes a price to enjoy it at, and not worry about it...

Our deluxe drink package finally went on sale this week for our July 2018 Alaska cruise. I was waiting to buy it until it went on sale. If it hadn't gone on sale, I would probably just pay per drink as we don't drink that much. Keep in mind that you can get bottled water in the package also which helps get your monies worth.

Your math is just fine. I don't think 5 drinks during a day is a lot. HOWEVER... you need to keep in mind this is the AVERAGE number of drinks per day. If you're off the ship in port, when you return, you still need to drink your 5 drinks. Some people may not be able to handle 2 drinks at dinner and 2 at/after shows... especially for multiple days in a row.

You need to know how you drink.

I also love the argument "I don't want to worry if I get a drink I don't like." So it makes more sense to (potentially) pay hundreds of dollars extra so you don't "waste" $12. OK.

It is only 5 drinks per day if you don't get it on sale, and only drink cheaper drinks, and weren't going to pay for other packages (soda or replenish). Point is, there is no cut and dried answer, and while never buying the package might be right for you, that is not necessarily true for all.

Example - my last cruise, I was on the fence about it, as I rarely drink. I do drink bottled water allot (love to have some in the fridge to take ashore, and would normally take 6-8 with me each day). The replenish, even on sale is $18 per day. We got deluxe for $38, so it was only 20 per day additional for me. When I drink, it is normally frozen drinks (again not big drinker), so 2 drinks at $12 and I was already ahead. Most days, I would have 3-4 drinks, there might have been a day I only had 1 (it was a port intensive southern Caribbean) but overall, I am sure I got my money's worth, and was never really even tipsy, let alone drunk or hung over.

Even if you were not going to get any other package, if you drink any kind of frozen drinks ($12 normally), and 1-2 glasses of wine at dinner, at $45 per day, that is less than 4 drinks, which throughout the day is pretty easy.

As to not being worth the peace of mind, to me, that can be worth it, as I know if I am signing for every drink, even though I am not a penny pincher, I would probably just not drink at all, or not get near as many, (even if I felt like it) just to save money. There is (at least for some people, me included) a value in being on vacation and being able to just get whatever you want whenever with no real worries about how much it costs, or having an unknown bill at the end.

All this being said, I am still on the fence for the next cruise, since our kids will be there as well, and not sure if I will want to be drinking at all. I already ordered the replenish while it was on sale, and debating on the deluxe, however my wife will most likely get the deluxe.