Roatan on the cheap

yoshi404

Hi all!

Cruising on the NCL getaway on Dec 24th and this is pretty much the highest I've ever paid for any cruise (I guess because of the season) but I've had a rough year and it was a gift to myself. I really just want to eat, sleep, read, drink and repeat all 7 days! Didn't even plan to get off the ship at Roatan and Belize at all, but reading these forums have got me all excited about these ports so I just might depending on costs.

My question is what are some affordable things to do in Roatan. Having spent so much on the cruise itself, I'm looking for cheap as in ~ $20 to $30. I'm not really interested in water activities like snorkeling, beaches, etc. I'd prefer cultural activities, like maybe a tour? Or just some interesting things to walk around and see?

Any other cheapo tips or ideas? :)

Hi all!

Cruising on the NCL getaway on Dec 24th and this is pretty much the highest I've ever paid for any cruise (I guess because of the season) but I've had a rough year and it was a gift to myself. I really just want to eat, sleep, read, drink and repeat all 7 days! Didn't even plan to get off the ship at Roatan and Belize at all, but reading these forums have got me all excited about these ports so I just might depending on costs.

My question is what are some affordable things to do in Roatan. Having spent so much on the cruise itself, I'm looking for cheap as in ~ $20 to $30. I'm not really interested in water activities like snorkeling, beaches, etc. I'd prefer cultural activities, like maybe a tour? Or just some interesting things to walk around and see?

Any other cheapo tips or ideas? :)

I can empathize with your cheapness!!! Check out Victor Bodden tours. They have stuff in that price range which will still be enjoyable. http://www.boddentours.com Ron was our driver and I would highly recommend. Others have recommended other drivers. There’s a whole thread dedicated to just that. You reserve ahead of time, no deposit, then pay when you get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can empathize with your cheapness!!! Check out Victor Bodden tours. They have stuff in that price range which will still be enjoyable. www.boddentours.com Ron was our driver and I would highly recommend. Others have recommended other drivers. There’s a whole thread dedicated to just that. You reserve ahead of time, no deposit, then pay when you get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

I have a few ideas.

When you get off the ship, there will be a large 2 story shopping complex to the right, with a round circular staircase going up the middle. Inside, there is lots of shopping! And at pretty good prices. You can spend quite some time there.

On the 2nd floor of the complex, near the center, there are three old men playing away on a marimba. These three guys have loyally been there at the cruise dock since it opened. Their music is mesmerizing! I could listen to them for hours. Not sure if they sell music albums, but they should.

Another thing you could do is buy a local treat at one of the snack stands, and sit at their nearby wooden tables, while reading, taking in the crowds, and scenery, and the exotic drumming dancers right there by the cruise port.

Another fun cheap thing to do is watch the zipliners scream in excitement as they travel over the open water by the cruise ship dock bay.

I'm cruising on the Getaway this coming March. This will be a new ship for me, but I have been many times to all the ports that she visits. Harvest Cay Belize will be just what you are looking for, a place where you can read and relax, and not have to spend too much money if you don't want to.

I have a few ideas.

When you get off the ship, there will be a large 2 story shopping complex to the right, with a round circular staircase going up the middle. Inside, there is lots of shopping! And at pretty good prices. You can spend quite some time there.

On the 2nd floor of the complex, near the center, there are three old men playing away on a marimba. These three guys have loyally been there at the cruise dock since it opened. Their music is mesmerizing! I could listen to them for hours. Not sure if they sell music albums, but they should.

Another thing you could do is buy a local treat at one of the snack stands, and sit at their nearby wooden tables, while reading, taking in the crowds, and scenery, and the exotic drumming dancers right there by the cruise port.

Another fun cheap thing to do is watch the zipliners scream in excitement as they travel over the open water by the cruise ship dock bay.

I'm cruising on the Getaway this coming March. This will be a new ship for me, but I have been many times to all the ports that she visits. Harvest Cay Belize will be just what you are looking for, a place where you can read and relax, and not have to spend too much money if you don't want to.

Already decided to go with Bodden tours, but my cruise partner might actually be interested in this so i'll bookmark for her. Thank you for the response :)