Galveston Hotel?

MelBCroozer

My family and I may be booking a cruise out of Galveston in February and will be driving up the day before. Can anyone suggest a hotel? Just need a comfortable and clean place for the night. Also, how is the parking at the pier? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!!

we stayed at the Ramada Ltd on the seawall. 2 miles from the pier, parking free for the week at the Ramada, taxi to pier $10 plus tip. The room was $54 for a king non smoking. The hotel was clean, but a bit shabby. Continental breakfast is served, but it's very minimal.

I'd highly recommend The Galvez Hotel. It is a historic Wyndham hotel and from our brief visit to Galveston, this is by far the nicest hotel there. Of course you get what you pay for...I think it is about $100.00 for a room...but if you are going on a cruise, then you need to splurge and ave a good time!!

Also, they offer long term parking at a benefit to their guest, so you pay $10.00 for you to park your car and then they shuttle you to and from the dock.

Sign up as a "Wyndham by Request" online for free, and then you get free wireless internet and you get to choose what type of drink and snack you prefer and they will brin that to you once you arrive for free. We got Coronas and pretzels.

The hotel is plush and the common areas and pool are very nice-and it overlooks the Gulf as it is on the sea board.

Hope you pick this one..you won't regret it!

• 2 weeks later...
we stayed at the Ramada Ltd on the seawall. 2 miles from the pier, parking free for the week at the Ramada, taxi to pier $10 plus tip. The room was $54 for a king non smoking. The hotel was clean, but a bit shabby. Continental breakfast is served, but it's very minimal.

We have a booked a room at the Ramada and we are curious if there are any stores (liquor, grocery) breakfast places and such close by?

Scootie -- right next to the Ramada is a Wendy's, there are multiple gas stations with convenience stores in them. Restaurant right across the street is a little pricey, but good seafood right on the ocean. There is a family style restaurant which I'm sure serves breakfast just a few blocks away.

We just got back from the Rhapsody of the Seas departing from Galveston and we stayed at Holiday Inn on the Beach. They offered an ocean view room and offered free parking for the week and shuttled us to and from the hotel free. It was great. You brought your luggage down to the lobby on the day of departure and then they loaded it up on the bus, unloaded it at the terminal. When we came back the bus was waiting for us and loaded all our luggage up, and dropped us off in the parking lot next to our vehicles. It was a nice hotel for the price. I would recommend staying there.

Just got back from our holiday cruise on Rhapsody. We LOVED the Galvez! We had a nightmare of a trip trying to get to Galveston- see my post on getting from Bush international.... We finally got to the Galvez. The hotel signed us up for a free shuttle. To leave you are one of the first off the ship. Just two blocks away is a nice little seafood restaurant we ate there for a later dinner- 7:30PM. We had a nice morning just hanging out at the Galvez- checkout is at noon. We walked the beach ate a nice breakfast just a few blocks from the Hotel. Nice soaps and shampoos to use. Pampered! I would go back to the Galvez in a snap! Only $99 a night, then figure in tax. If I travel out of Galveston again it will be the Galvez for me! There's my 2 cents worth! Gabrielle

• 3 weeks later...

For a stay in Galveston, I would highly recommend a stay at the Hotel Galvez. The weather during our stay was in the 40's, windy and rainy (in other words-- lousy!), but it was still quite beautiful. Nice public spaces even for hanging out and a decent restaurant. Some complain the rooms are too small. We are a family of three and it was just fine.

Booking the resort through Celebrity, we knew we would have the cheapest category room. We are Wyndham by Request members and much to my surprise, dh emailed them with a request for an oceanfront room. Upon arrival, my parents who also booked through Celebrity and are not by Request members, had a room overlooking the parking lot. Exactly what they expected. Wyndham Hotel Galvez did honor my dh's request. Also as a by Request member we received free WI-FI access.

We stayed at the Tremont Hotel a few weeks ago, prior to our cruise. It is also a Wyndham Hotel. It is located in the historic part of Galveston, only a few blocks from the terminal (we could see the ships dock from our room). It is a very nice restored historic hotel. We ate dinner on the wharf and breakfast at a cute cafe called The Phoenix. I personally like the historic area better. I booked on Priceline several months in advance and got the room for $70. There is a free shuttle to the cruise terminal or a taxi will cost about $5 and you can go at your leisure. They were very friendly and helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

We are heading out the same day as you on the Grand Princess. staying Friday night and we needed 3 rooms. We got the Hotel Galvez on Priceline for $85 each and it was accepted on the first bid, which of course always makes you wonder if you could have gotten it for less ;) but it was a great price compared to what they want if you book it direct.

Give it a try.

WannabeaTraveler, What do you mean it is not listed? When we booked the only 2 hotels that were listed in Galveston were the Tremont and the Galvez. I was really hoping for the Tremont because it is within walking distance to the pier and in the Strand district.

I will check back so let me know if you have any questions?

Don't they only let you bid once every 72 hours unless they come back with a 'that bid was turned down but for $12 more they will accept it' statement and you can press accept. That is what happened to us for the Sheraton at the Houston airport and we got it for $57. Other wise we have always had to wait the time out.

We stayed at the Quality Inn on Seawall Blvd and loved it. You can leave your car there for free while on the cruise. All rooms have a balcony and Gulf view. We had six and ordered a large van to get us to the port and that was only $15. Will definitely use it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Don and Dede I have looked at the Quality inn site and it does not mention the free parking for cruise ship passengers. Is this something they offered after you got there, and who did you get the van from to carry ya'll to the ship. Any help and info on this matter, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Paul

Archived