Mazatlan: Looking for Input on Carnival's Deer Island Kayak Tour

Sailfish

I'll be on the Pride in November and just began looking into shore excursions. Anyone have anything to say about the Kayak Tour on Deer Island? As the shore excursion includes a 70 minute catamaran trip over to the island, I was wondering if any food or drinks were served on the boat, or if there was a place on the island where you could get food?

Carnival's website gives minimal information.

Thanks.

Suzi

05 July 2004 Monarch of the Seas
21 November 2004 Carnival Pride
20 February 2005 Mariner of the Seas CC Group Cruise

• 3 weeks later...
Susie, My husband and I did a kayaking excursion to Deer Island in 99 0r 2000. We were on the Elation and we got the tour on the pier, not a ship tour. We had a great time. We paddled to the Island and back. There was no place to get food or drink, so bring your own. We were given snorkeling gear also. They had areas of sandy beach with few fish or some rocky areas with lots of fish. The water was warm ( May ) and visability good. When we paddled back we had to watch out for the parasailers and other boats. We also forgot to put sun tan lotion on the tops of our feet and got sun burned. Not the best place for a sun burn. The Kayaks were the sit on top type. They had some small back supports for both people. This is important to most of us, I know my back gets tired. After the kayaking we were able to use facilities at a local hotel, bar, resturant, pool, bathroom, changing room etc. I think we paid $30.00 each and there was no time limit. The ocean was calmer in the morning, the wind chopped the water up a little in the afternoon. We did this a few years back, but I hope it helps. Carla

Carla steckmyer

Thank you Carla!

I have yet to make plans for Mazatlan, but this tour sounded nice. I will try to do a search and see what tours in Mazatlan are offered independent of the cruise line.

Thanks again.

Suzi

05 July 2004 Monarch of the Seas
21 November 2004 Carnival Pride
20 February 2005 Mariner of the Seas CC Group Cruise

Hi Suzi, I looked in my photo album. The flyer we got from the kayaking tour was still in it. We went with El Cid Mega Resorts. We got a free taxi ride to the resort. The kayaking, a free drink each, resturant discount, and use of the facility. The were advertising on the pier. It was a mile paddle to the island each way. They also offered catamaran tours. The boats held two and the guide. It looked like fun. We went in May of 2000. Have fun. Carla

Carla steckmyer

Archived