Hair Braiding - Do they?

thunder_lin

If you really want to look like that, don't despair. Hair braiding is ubiquitous in the Caribbean. They have been doing it to themselves for centuries. They will gladly take your money for an opportunity to try to look like them. Oh yeah, really LOOK at the people who have had it done. Do you honestly think it's cool?

Beach Bummmmmm - yes I think it's cool for my 16 year old daughter - not for me. She had it done in Roatan last year and loved it. Easy to take care of. You also don't see a lot of people in Canada with their hair braided like that because it's just not done much here so it's a novelty especially for the younger ones.

Our other islands are Freeport and Cozumel.

If you really want to look like that, don't despair. Hair braiding is ubiquitous in the Caribbean. They have been doing it to themselves for centuries. They will gladly take your money for an opportunity to try to look like them. Oh yeah, really LOOK at the people who have had it done. Do you honestly think it's cool?

How unnecessary!

wow.

I'd suggest you try getting it done in mexico. generally cheaper.

My 15 year old daughter is here with me scanning ideas on what to do in GC and this post really caught her eye.

She said you can stay home and have someone pull your hair for free.

She was accosted (she has waist length hair) last year right after a dolphin swim in Ocho Rios. After I agreed to a few braids the braider ended my daughters swim with the dolphins early and darn near pulled her out of the water herself to braid her hair. It was the most awful experience. (the finished "do" did look cute for a few hours) But the braider pulled the living daylights out of her hair and used dirty combs. I was sitting there wondering if the experience was as bad as it looked...it was worse. And then the girl tried to double her price. I wish I had stopped the whole thing after the first braid went in. It wasn't until her head was more than half way done that I saw the tears my daughter was trying to hide.

It was awful. AND it is homely, ugly and embarrassing ESPECIALLY on middle aged white women who are dressed up for formal night.

Sorry to be so blunt but this experience ruined the mother/daughter day we had looked forward to for months.

Thunder,

My daughter had hers done in Grand Cayman on our first cruise. There were some girls hanging around the shops with huge baskets full of beads, they sat with my daughter and let her pick out the colors and were generally very nice. If your daughter wants it done, then she should definately get it done!!!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the hair braiding issue. We cruised last year and my daughter (15) had it done in Roatan for $25.00 for the whole head with a design. I brought my own combs and then left them for the girls. The whole experience was great. Actually my 11 year old son also had it done. They (the kids) travelling with us on this cruise want to have it done again. I know it is done in Mexico but wasn't sure if it was done in Cayman. We are being rerouted to Costa Maya so they could always wait and have it done there. Just thought Cayman is in the middle of our cruise and would be a perfect time to get it done.

Archived