Bermuda- Public Transportation

Rebels82

is it safe and easy for two women, in the day time, to use public transportation from St. George’s to Hamilton?

Thanks.

Safe yes, Easy sort of, but it's an awful lot of trouble for not much return.

Most of the stores in Hamilton have outlets in St Georges, and there is blessed little to do in Hamilton besides shopping.

Thanks for that info. This will be our first time in Bermuda. Is there any need to go to the dockyards? We are just trying to get a “feel” for the island. We are not shoppers and love to walk. We are planning to walk around St. George’s.

Thanks for that info. This will be our first time in Bermuda. Is there any need to go to the dockyards? We are just trying to get a “feel” for the island. We are not shoppers and love to walk. We are planning to walk around St. George’s.

St Georges is Charming, but small (as are the dockyards). If you get a nice day, for a feel of the island, I'd recommend using the Ferrys

4578-ferry-routes-bermuda.jpg

https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000073.htm

We were there on Sirena in October '16. Docked in town. I had reserved a van with a guide who is a taxi driver off season. He picked us up and drove us to St. Georges, we had a lovely day. This was right after the hurricane and we saw some damage but the island escaped real problems. If you want information about my guide, email me off list. If the address below doesn't work (sometimes it doesn't) try mkievman at nyc dot com.

To get the good price we did have two other couples with us, that we found on the roll call.

Mura

It's very safe and very easy. My mother and I have taken 2 land based vacations on Bermuda, and saw the whole island using the buses. The routes are easy to understand, and the drivers are very helpful.

Here is a link with details of the routes - the 10 or 11 goes from St George to Hamilton - We stayed at the Grotto Bay hotel. which is 30 minutes from Hamilton, and 20 minutes to St George, so we used that route ourselves.

https://www.bermuda4u.com/transport/buses/routes/

One of our most heartwarming memories was made while taking a public bus on a rural route back to Hamilton almost 10 years ago. Too long of a story for here but the interaction of locals with the bus driver and each other reminded me of simpler times we have long lost.

If you do take the bus please acknowledge the bus driver as you board and thank them him or her as you leave. It is a lesson I was reminded of by a perhaps five-year-old schoolboy as he sang out "Good afternoon Mr. Bus Driver!" when boarding the bus .

Dockyard is either a time consuming (by bus/ferry) or expensive (by taxi) proposition for very little return in my opinion. Unless you are a huge fan of British 19th century naval history it’s mostly an outdoor shopping center designed to keep 6000 people on two ships at a time entertained. It definitely has some historic merits but it’s a fairly narrow focus. It’s more about the time or investment of getting there when you’re on the other side of the island with limited time on the island- there are more interesting places to go.

Hey Buggins0402...we are on Insignia 8/14.

Thanks to all for the great info. Sounds like there is not much need to venture out of the St. George area (for what we enjoy....like to walk, be near or on water, shop very little).

Thanks to all for the great info. Sounds like there is not much need to venture out of the St. George area (for what we enjoy....like to walk, be near or on water, shop very little).

Thought so, the 8/14 cruise has the Tues/Wed stop in Bermuda.

I’m thinking of exploring the island with a transportation pass the first day, when there is no deadline to get back to the ship. The second half day we will probably stay around St. George’s. There appeared to be a nice snorkel beach near there.

We’ve taken the “bus” transport on Granada, the busses on Bermuda look to be tame in comparison.

We’ve taken the “bus” transport on Granada, the busses on Bermuda look to be tame in comparison.

They are- they’re actually quite nice and nothing like you would find in the Caribbean. The only knock on them is that they are slow. Our first time there we started using them but found it too slow given our short time on the island.

We started using taxis and ferrys strategically at that point and it worked much better albeit a little bit more expensive. They now have an app called Hitch which is like a local Uber and allows you to pay for taxis with credit cards and hail them from your phone. More importantly you know exactly what you’re going to pay before getting in. I would recommend downloading it at very least as an insurance policy if they busses are moving slowly and you need to get back to the ship.

I love St. George's. If you can do some walking, visit the old churches. Visit Fort St. Catherine. Get over to Tobacco Bay, a beautiful small beach.

If you have the time, use a multiday pass good for all buses and ferries and see Hamilton. Take a bus to Horseshoe Bay, the main tourist beach.

The buses are safe and easy. But they don't take paper money. A pink bus stop means the bus is going toward Hamilton, blue means going away from Hamilton.

If you have a lot of time or are just curious, the Dockyard exists mainly to serve cruise ships. A small mall, bars, maybe some moped rentals. the rum cake factory and glassblowing can be interesting. If you go, make sure you know where to catch the return bus or ferry. There's a main stop, but the road is one way and they go around.

I will reiterate how wonderful the Bermuda public transportation is. Locals take the bus as to school kids!

We were able to get day passes and went everywhere we wanted. It is VERY safe and very reliable! The lighthouse was nice as was St George. Make sure you go to one of the sea glass beaches. Enjoy!!