Magica - Western Caribbean

latadj98

I got a sneak preview of the Magica. She is absolutely gorgeous and brand spanking new! It was a short experience but really great. The staff was very friendly, the food was fantastic. The inside staterooms are smaller than the oceanview. The oceanviews are the same size as the balcony, minus the balcony. If you have specific questions, let me know.

Thanks Nancy sounds like you were impressed and had a good time. Where did you cruise too ?

We have a outside cabin with balcony. I'm hoping it won't be too congested for my wife and 2 children.

Let me ask a few silly questions. How much for soda and cocktails ? Is there any kind of drink plan (besides the wine package) ?

I have a picky 13 year old eater...doesn't sound like that should be a problem ? Lot's of "American" type food (burgers,fries, taco's) as well ?

We chose the second seating for dinner, I thought I read somwhere that you can attend the first without too much hassle ?

Are there things to do for the typical teenager at night where I don't have to worry about them running wild around the ship ??

Oh, and what do you recommend for attire ? I'm really looking forward to getting away from the everyday world and just want to chill. Would a couple pair of nice slacks and button down be appropriate for the formal nights ?? If it was up to me I'd be in shorts and T the whole time !!

Interested in hearing your answers - John

Well unfortunately the cruise I was on had no kids. I am looking forward to the feedback from returning passengers on the kids program here soon.

The balcony room for 4 will be quite comfortable relatively speaking (space is a premium on a cruise ship). The stateroom is large enough for 4 for sure. It has a queen bed and a sitting area with a looong sofa (that converts to a bed) & coffee table.

No they don't have any other drink plan other than the Wine Package & Boys & Girls Card. It's listed on their website. This gives them 20 non-alcoholic drinks including milkshakes, fruit juices, etc. for $56.47 inclusive of service charges. They do have complimentary ice teas & breakfast juices available @ buffet.

They do have 2 formal nights, but you certainly have the option of going to the Bellagio Buffet for a casual dinner if you prefer. Formal nights is a cruise tradition and most people will be wearing their best. Men wear suits, may even see a tuxedo or two, and ladies wear gowns or cocktail dresses. I don't think they would ever enforce a dress code, they only suggest it. At minimum they may suggest a jacket for men on formal nights.

I will keep this short as my husband intends to do a longer critique. This was our 14th or so cruise. We wanted to branch out from RCCL and NCL and try other lines, so we booked the Magica. It was TERRIBLE. If you have booked a cabin amidship on level 8, change it. The pool deck and band are right above and all you hear all afternoon is a booming noise. The rest of the night this new ship has vibrating walls that are very noisy. The food was tasty, but very very very small portions (I had trouble finding my duck - the largest item on my plate was a small potato ball). Service in most of the dining rooms, from all we have heard from everyone we spoke with on the ship, was non-existent. The cabin steward was good, though. If you have second seating, you may not make it to the show. We missed the first 1/2 hour of the first show because of the slow service. And a tip, watch out about the tipping. Read your booklet. The tip is automatically added to your bill. You can go to the desk and cancel that. We did and tipped what we wanted to those we felt should get it. Auto tips the Maitre 'D. We never met him.

Archived