Symphony - Amazon Fire TV and Voom

jgoodm

Hi All,

First time on RCCL and I am not clear on how any of the tech and authentication is set up but after reading many threads, I think I can assume the following will work. If anyone could confirm this scenario, I would appreciate it. I will be in a Crown Loft Suite if that matters.

1. Connect Amazon Fire TV (or firestick) to an accessible HDMI port on the TV. Will I be able to actually reach a port in these rooms (especially upstairs)?

2. For power on Amazon Fire TV (or firestick), connect the USB port on the Amazon Fire TV (or firestick) to the USB port on the TV. (Also, can anyone confirm if there is a standard power outlet behind the TV's?)

3. Bring a universal remote and change the TV input using the universal remote to access the HDMI port for the Amazon Fire TV (or firestick).

4. Connect Amazon Fire TV (or firestick) to appropriate WIFI and the device will open its own browser and connect me to VOOM's authentication web page. Enter VOOM credentials.

5. Enjoy Netflix on the TV.

Thanks,

J.

Thanks. Any idea if there will be accessible power near the TV?

I have never been able to access a power outlet behind the tv. I did try to do this whole setup once, and the internet connection was not reliable enough to make the time worth it.

You are able to bring an extension cord/power strip as long as it does NOT have surge protection (can damage ship electronics and become very dangerous)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off of Anthem. I had my laptop with a HDMI cable. It obviously depends on configuration but on my balcony room, the TV was mounted to the wall with no way to adjust the angle or position of the TV. I didn't see any way to reach any HDMI ports; not even sure that there was an available port to use. I also had the standard voom package and averaged 500k at best for download speeds.

With literally thousands of people all sharing the same internet connection ... your millage will very. There will be >5.5k guests on board assuming double occupancy only. That goes up to nearly 9k when at capacity and the crew included (who do use internet too).

Generally this works better on phones or tablets. The smaller screens mean a lower resolution can be used, which uses substantially less bandwidth.

For 1080p streaming on Netflix, you need a 5 Mbps connection (according to Netflix). This is not likely to be the case with so many people.

Also, I had a plain extension cord (no surge) in my carry-on for my CPAP. That was taken by Port Security when checking in to the building itself. Asked if I wanted it tagged to be returned when we got back and I said to "keep it". I had some multi-tap power and USB adapters in my checked in luggage (no surge on those either) and they were not taken.

Does anyone know if all of the tvs on the anthem are samsung? I tried doing a search for photos and saw a thread where someone mentioned Samsung as well. I also found posts that said the tvs are mounted, but it swings out. I also saw posts that said the tvs don't swing out. I guess it depends on the stateroom whether they swing out or not? I'm planning to hopefully use the hdmi. Thanks.