Catalonia Barcelona Plaza Hotel

phatsneaks

We booked Catalonia Barcelona Plaza Hotel and are now reading some bad reviews, like someone went through their bags while in their room.

Anyone have history or knowledge of this hotel.

We got a great price and it is sold out, and we can cancel if needed.

Feeling concerned since this is our first time in Spain.

I can't comment on the hotel but from statistics perspective ratio of excellent/above average to average/poor/terrible reviews on TripAdvisor is 4:1 on a big # of reviews (around 2500). So one incident wouldn't be an indication of poor hotel or persistent problems. There are other higher rated hotels in Barcelona if reviews are the primary decision maker.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I can't vouch for this (or any other hotel in the city or elsewhere), after all, I live in Barcelona and I have no use for hotels in the city.

Only to chip in with a couple of reflections:

(1) this hotel is a 4* hotel from a big very reputable hotel chain with hotels in number of countries (https://www.cataloniahotels.com/en/about-us).

(2) while all hotels, especially above a certain level, heavily invest in security, there's no fool-proof system so even on the top of the top there are "incidents" from time to time, in this city and all over the world. We all remember the fiasco of the hackable electronic locks that swept a couple of very well known American chains a few years back, don't we? (https://www.wired.com/2017/08/the-hotel-hacker/) :) What I mean, is that while you're 99% secure in these sort of hotels, there's always the possibility to have a negative incident, but this shouldn't become a paranoia. You're going to be fine, like the vast majority of the thousands of users of this hotel every year.