Pregnant Cruising

slotterhaus

First off, Cheryl, I’m so sorry about your loss.

I had a close call around 8 weeks that required me to be monitored by a high risk doctor. It was touch and go for a few months. As luck has it, my family wanted to go away for Thanksgiving that year. Before I booked the cruise I talked to my doctors and they agreed that it would be OK. The baby seemed to be doing very well in the second trimester so they said to go on the trip as long as I didn’t do anything crazy. I did get a letter from them, but no one ever asked for it. Before we went I rented a fetal doppler monitor and I took the monitor on the trip. Having the monitor was great because it gave us peace of mind and it was neat because my parents and siblings were able to hear the baby’s heart rate for the first time.

So the bottom line is, I went on a cruise when I was 24 weeks with my entire family and had a great time. Actually some of the best pictures of me and my husband (even better than our wedding photos) were taking during formal nights. I didn’t feel comfortable getting on the hot tub, but I did snorkel, went on a boat trip, swam with manta rays and even exercised in the Spa. I also watched what I ate, nothing greasy, no unpasteurized cheeses, no deli meat, no mercury laden fish, etc. Before you think that I’m a health nut, it was pointed out to me (by my dear husband) that I had more than *a few* servings ice cream a day. The beauty of being pregnant and having 24hr soft serve ice cream machine! :)

Good luck,

BaVe

I cruised to Alaska when I was 20 weeks preggo. RCCL said I need a signed letter from my Dr that I was not high-risk and that I was not 29 weeks pregnant. No problem! I forgot to show it when I checked in and I was never asked for it. But, better to be safe than sorry! I had an AWESOME time! I enjoyed hiking, shopping, and flying in a helicopter to a glacier. I was in my 2nd trimester, feeling fantastic, and barely showing yet.

HOWEVER, our ship experienced a norovirus outbreak and hundreds were affected including my father. I was lucky and didn't get ill. But, it IS a possibility!

I cruised at 12 weeks and had a great time. There was no special "documentation." After all many women don't even look preganant until well into the second trimester. I did sort of miss the drinks by the pool and I had to avoid the hot tubs but other than that it was a perfectly wonderful normal vacation.

• 6 months later...

I just found out I was pregnant on Saturday the 16th. I have a doctors appointment on the 21st and I go on a cruise March 6th. I hope I will be ok on the cruise as far as morning sickness and everything. I have lots of activities planned for the cruise so I hope that I wont be slowed down by this. I will be around 6 and 7 weeks preggo for the cruise. Has anyone else cruised at that time... how was it.

I just found out I was pregnant on Saturday the 16th. I have a doctors appointment on the 21st and I go on a cruise March 6th. I hope I will be ok on the cruise as far as morning sickness and everything. I have lots of activities planned for the cruise so I hope that I wont be slowed down by this. I will be around 6 and 7 weeks preggo for the cruise. Has anyone else cruised at that time... how was it.

First of all congratulations. Let your doctor know you are going on a cruise and ask about the possiblity of using Zofran if you are concerned about morning sickness. Being male I don't have any experience in this area but my wife and I are also giong on a cruise in March and she will be 16 weeks pregnant. We happen to be going on this cruise with a friend who is an OB. Have fun.

Just some advice from some who who has cruised, run and snowboarded during early stages of pregnancy... and is proud to have two healthy, active little boys to show for it.

Be aware of your body and what it is telling you. Those pregnancy books have a lot of good stuff, you just need to educate yourself.

If morning sickness is an issue, discuss what you can do about it with your doctor. You might just have to plan to start your day a little later than everyone else. :)

Also talk to your doctor about what you should and should not do and what you should and should not eat. And understand WHY to you can make informed decisions.

Be aware that every week you have a new body--you are gaining weight and bulk rapidly in some weeks that you may suddenly feel off-balance or even fall over for no apparent reason!

Hydrate! as previous posters said. Your uterus is very "touchy" when it comes to being hydrated. If you are not getting enough water, it may tell you by contracting (don't worry--typically this is Braxton-Hicks) Again, talk to your doctor about these regular warm-up contractions and the real thing.

HAVE FUN!!!

Thank you everyone for your posts. I have my Dr. appt tomorrow and will be asking a ton of questions. I am excited but scared all at the same time. I plan on packing tons of water for on the ship and on the excursions. I will be sure to ask about what I can and cannot eat and hope that I can still have shrimp. :-)

• 1 year later...
I was just about 5 months pregnant when I cruised and I suffered from severe morning(noon & night) sickness and was put on Zofran and the benefit was that I had no sea sickness what so ever :) :)

It was a great cruise!

Congrats and enjoy!

I cruised when I was 5 weeks prego, I had horrible morning sickness, and they put me on Zofran too. I had no seasickness, and the staff at the MDR had me a big glass of milk and a glass of OJ at the table at dinner, no tea or soda, kept pushing milk and juice. The waitress told us she had been to Med school in Romania and was a OBGYN, but could not make a decent living there, so she and her hubbie went to work for Carnival. Not sure why she was a waitress, but maybe they don't want Romainian Docs on the ships, the ones I have met were from Germany, France and England.

Archived