Is Infinity at Full Speed?

cfprunner

From what I have read here and else where, it sounds like the Infinity MIGHT be having pod problems and is not able to cruise at full speed.

It shouldn't affect it's stops as they are never too far apart. Anyone know if this report is true or not?

From what I have read here and else where, it sounds like the Infinity MIGHT be having pod problems and is not able to cruise at full speed.

It shouldn't affect it's stops as they are never too far apart. Anyone know if this report is true or not?

We were on the Infinity Hawaii cruise that returned 11/6 and there were no problems at that time. What have you heard? We will be on her again in February.

Where have you heard/read this? We are sailing on the Infinity in Feb. and if there are problems I would like to know.

thank,

sue

It's posts like this that start unwarranted concern and rumors.

They dry dock is scheduled for April is the routine dry dock X tries to do with their ships every 2-3 years. The changing of itineraries was made to facilitate the dry dock. It was not done at the oringinal time of scheduling itineraries as X was still in negotiations with a number of dry dock facilities and was looking for the best time to schedule it.

The change of itineraries had nothing to do with the pods. That is speculation and rumors started on the message boards not onlyl here, but on other boards. There is nothing to it.

If there are pod problems, they cannot wait the 7-8 months from when they changed the itineraries to when the dry dock is scheduled. The damage caused by running with the bad pod would not allow it.

Where have you heard/read this? We are sailing on the Infinity in Feb. and if there are problems I would like to know.

thank,

sue

Hey Sue :D

Come on over to the roll call for our cruise. Lots of the "mother" group are posting there. Here is the link to the latest page INFINITY (formerly MILLENNIUM) 2/05/06 Eastern Caribbean m We have 685 posts so far and plans are being made for slot pulls and sailaway get togethers :p

I'm not worried about the pods. It's going to be a great cruise!

It's also posts like this that allow concerns and rumors to be explained appropriately. It could start rumors, but it also can clear them up. Let's not restrict requests for information and clarification, as this is one of the main reasons to post here.

It's also posts like this that allow concerns and rumors to be explained appropriately. It could start rumors, but it also can clear them up.

There were additional posts after the original looking for the source of the information on what the OP heard, but there were no replies to that request. To me, that raises some doubts.

o/~ I heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another ... o/~

I was on the Infinity when they changed the itinerary with the Millie. (Early September) The day BEFORE it was released a staff member and I were talking about the situation with Pods etc and he knew about the change then.

It was explained to me that the reason was because of the Infinity's predilection for pod failure and they didn't want to be WAY down around the horn somewhere and have to deal with it again.

Just a precautionary strike by management. They seem to have the Millie straightened out but are not so confident of the Infinity. It was bad enough being off the west coast of Central America and flying out of Acapulco. We thought at the time what would have happened had they gone down in say Puerto Caldera or some other area with no airport nearby.

Although they seem to have a handle on the pods or at least a better one they still are leary of the finacial hit (cancelled cruises and free ones etc) & just are taking precautions. It's a lot more cost effective to cancel a week's cruise than a two weeker somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

But... it's still a fact of these ships that everyone should be aware of. Don't you think?

The question rasied by the first poster still has not been answered so I doubt that anythng is goin' on right now... But......

That is speculation and rumors started on the message boards not onlyl here, but on other boards. There is nothing to it.

There were additional posts after the original looking for the source of the information on what the OP heard, but there were no replies to that request. To me, that raises some doubts.

To tbelian: Sorry to not get back here for 24 hours. Believe it or not, I am not posting on this site 24/7 so I can't answer every question the moment it is posted.

To all: I'm not going to call out other posters like chessbriar called me out, but as chessbriar admited, there are other posts here and on other sites that have actual pax questioning the cruising speed of the the Infinity.

I didn't know that asking a question was the same as starting a rumor.

I'd like to thank my cruise mate cherbobtt for an excellent point in her post.

As someone who had a trip affected by bad pods on the Infinity and as someone who swore never to sail Infinity again, and as someone who booked a cruise on Milli, only to get switched to the Infinity again, I think my question was a fair one and if you will re-read what I posted, I CLEARLY never said that the Infinity was limping.

IT IS CLEAR TO ME FROM WHAT I HAVE READ HERE, AFTER ASKING, THAT INFINITY CAN GO JUST AS FAST AS SHE NEEDS TO.

Now that questions = rumors, and since "It's posts like this that start unwarranted concern" let me get the rumors really flying:

1. Do they still serve Lamb in the specialty rest.?
  2. Is the corkage fee now $15?
  3. Is San Juan safe after dark?
  4. What is there to do in St. Martin until 1AM?
  5. Are the Persian Gardens open 24/7?
  6. Is the balcony on 6135 as big as 6145?
  7. Can I buy post card stamps on board?
  8. What is in a Yellow Bird?

Oh the unwarranted concern these rumors will cause!

Hey Sue :D

Come on over to the roll call for our cruise. Lots of the "mother" group are posting there. Here is the link to the latest page INFINITY (formerly MILLENNIUM) 2/05/06 Eastern Caribbean m We have 685 posts so far and plans are being made for slot pulls and sailaway get togethers :p

I'm not worried about the pods. It's going to be a great cruise!

Hi Char,

I know about the roll call and have been looking at it from time to time. It has been a rough year for me and I haven't had the time or energy to add our names or post there. Just too many groups to keep up with. I know a lot of the people there and am looking forward to meeting some old friends for the first, second etc times. I will probable get around to joining the roll call during or after the holidays.

I just hope the pods are ok, we both really, really, really need this cruise(grin). We normally cruise a couple of times a year, but haven't been on a ship since 11/04. Of course we have been on a couple of land vacations, but that just isn't the same thing.LOL

sue - who can't wait for the mother

To tbelian: Sorry to not get back here for 24 hours. Believe it or not, I am not posting on this site 24/7 so I can't answer every question the moment it is posted.

As someone who had a trip affected by bad pods on the Infinity and as someone who swore never to sail Infinity again, and as someone who booked a cruise on Milli, only to get switched to the Infinity again, I think my question was a fair one and if you will re-read what I posted, I CLEARLY never said that the Infinity was limping.

Ok. Look, here is what I can say from my experience on Infinity, and i'm pretty sure this trip was after. There is nothing wrong with Infinity. The ship is fine. If you have a cruise booked on this ship, not to worry.

That being said, when a message is posted along the lines of 'I heard that ... ' etc. etc., is there anyone else who thinks this may cause concerns? Maybe just a little? Someone might read that and think OH! , problems on the ship I'm going on, trouble! And get worked up over it for nothing.

You have admitted to being personally affected by problems on this ship. Agreed, that's unfortunate. Is there even the slightest possbility that there might be some 'dissing' happening because of your trip on the Infinity?

If you personally are not going on the ship again, what's the point of asking about it, other than to get other people concerned or worried. Maybe for nothing. For the record, what I'm saying is not that you are starting a rumor, but rather that you may be generating concern where it is not necessary.

By the way, how fast can a ship go? Full speed ahead? 25 knots? More? And do they even always travel at 'full speed'?

I'm not going to call out other posters like chessbriar called me out, but as chessbriar admited, there are other posts here and on other sites that have actual pax questioning the cruising speed of the the Infinity.

It wasn't a matter of calling you out.

It's the fact of throwing out the I have read that she might be having problems. Too often on thes boards, I have seen someone speculate about something or report a rumor only to have it become gospel on the boards with the subject matter becoming a repeated topic again and again.

Look at the number of thread questioning the conditions of several of the ships. On every thread it seems as if 95% of the posts come in talking about how great the ships are and yet the questions keep being asked.

And lastly, if there are posts here that have pax questioning the speed, why did you feel the need to bring it up again. You could put a link in your thread mentioning a previous thread.

It was more the way it was addressed than it was the question. Too many times people come on these boards making claims or questioning the condition of the ships without anything to back up why they ask.

I can understand your concern after having been scheduled to be on the ship when previous problems cancelled your cruise. But that being the case all M-class ships are at the same risk. Millennium or Infinity, they both have the pods and are at risk.

If you are looking to avoid these problems, book your cruises on the C-class ships.

Infinity, just like the Summit has pod problems. It always has and always will. (Unless they completely change out the pods.) Infinity did have its dry docking moved up a year because of the pod issues. It's itinerary was changed to an easier one that was closer to facilities, just incase of breakdown before then.

Chessbriar and tbelian: To hid these facts and pretend as if nothing is wrong is, well.... wrong. These ships do have troubles.

That said, I would not hesitate to sail on either ship. They seem to understand that more frequent drydockings are needed to keep the ships running smoothly. They are also realizing that the rougher journeys will have to be done by stronger ships. Summit and Infinity are beautiful. The "M" class ships are the best I have ever sailed.

Chessbriar and tbelian: To hid these facts and pretend as if nothing is wrong is, well.... wrong. These ships do have troubles.

Nobody (not me at least) is saying 'hide the facts' ... and, it's not as though the situation regarding M-class ships is not widely known. It is. The original post implied that 'I heard there is a problem right now'. This is (so far in this thread at least) unsubstantiated. And, chessbriar is saying, basically, if you don't want to run the risk (again, a widely known risk), then don't cruise M-class.

Where did I say hide that facts?

There is a problem RIGHT NOW, with Infinity. It is why it's schedule has been radically changed. That is why it is headed for dry dock a year early. You deny that there is a problem RIGHT NOW. That is NOT true. There IS a problem.

Edited in: I am sorry if I give the impression that this is a big problem for cruisers. The odds of this effecting cruisers at this point is very slim. The problems with the pods are being addressed and should not effect the public. It certainly has the potenital to disrupt future cruises, as it already has disrupted many. I have been speaking from mostly a technical viewpoint.

There is a problem RIGHT NOW, with Infinity.

Yup, well, I don't read that this is what the original poster was talking about in the original post (copied here for your convenience):

The implication is clear that Infinity, wherever it is right NOW, is running slow. THIS is what has not been substantiated. I asked 'where did this information come from', and did not get any reference to it. I searched the forum and did not find anything recent regarding pod problems happening RECENTLY on this ship. Can you direct me to new information?

It is known that there are bearing problems on Infinity's pods. They might still be able to reach top speed, but that would only cause the bearings to wear that much faster and put them that much more at risk for failure.

Note: the Summit did the Hawaii run last year just fine, only to have it's pods fail early into the Alaska season. Lucky for me, my sailing was not the week of the repairs. This early drydocking should head off the troubles Summit suffered. They will do thier best to baby it until then.

1. Do they still serve Lamb in the specialty rest.?
  2. Is the corkage fee now $15?
  3. Is San Juan safe after dark?
  4. What is there to do in St. Martin until 1AM?
  5. Are the Persian Gardens open 24/7?
  6. Is the balcony on 6135 as big as 6145?
  7. Can I buy post card stamps on board?
  8. What is in a Yellow Bird?

Oh the unwarranted concern these rumors will cause!

1. Yes

2. Yes. There was a brief attempt a couple of years ago to move it from $12 to $20, an uproar took place, and $15 resulted.

3. Depends upon where you are. Even in the more "touristy" sections of Old Town, it's necessary to pay attention to your surroundings.

4. Party! The first time we had a schedule change, it was to move our departure in Aruba from 7:00pm to 11:00pm. We had an opportunity to see some of the local "night life". That's not common.

5. No. The entire spa usually closes down at 11:00pm.

6. One way you get depth, the other width. Have not seen 6145 personally, but I'd expect about the same sq ft either way.

7. Traditionally, we've simply paid the Guest Relations folks while handing over the cards/envelopes and they handle the appropriate postage from the current/next port where they'll be posting things.

8. There are numerous recipes, but they all include Rum and Galliano, and some sort of citrus (powdered mix or juice).

If you personally are not going on the ship again, what's the point of asking about it, other than to get other people concerned or worried. Maybe for nothing. For the record, what I'm saying is not that you are starting a rumor, but rather that you may be generating concern where it is not necessary.

I think a large number of assumptions are being made that may not be accurate. (and you know what assume does) If I'm not mistaken, the OP is going to be on Infinity in a few weeks. I will be on the same cruise, and I am interested in the condition of the ship also. CC is a forum for questions and discussion, and I would hate to see it ruined by people who want to control what type of questions can be asked.

Archived