Marriott Vacation Points vs Cash for Cruise

57redbird

Before I get told to check on some board....

We have Marriott Vacation Club points that can be used on various cruise lines & since we like HAL, my question is it more cost effective to use the afore-mentioned points or pay cash? I can't find any where that tells how much each point is worth in USD to make a comparison.

TIA...

I’ve read Marriott vacation club is a very poor value, no matter how you spend the points.

Years ago we had a Marriott credit card that we used for business and personal travel. Nothing to do with timeshares. It was a highly rated card with an excellent reward system. We accumulated more points than we knew what to do with. Marriott was continually devaluing the points. To get ahead of the next devaluation we used some points for a cruise. We knew it was a poor value, it was and we had to pay taxes and fees on top of the points redeemed.

Don’t.

Watch out or do some googling. Sometimes when using timeshare points, they will try to charge extra for the non-commissionable fare, sometimes called port charges (different than the port fees and taxes everybody pays.)