Coming into Vancouver day early for our Alaska Cruise, need hotel help.

GwenA

The only thing I'll add to Dennis' reply is that the Moda has a couple of excellent in-house resto/bar options - Cibo and Uva - providing very solid breakfast lunch and dinner as well as some good cocktails. The Barclay Hotel (very much bargain basement) is very different from the B&B with very similar name - Barclay House (a very well-reviewed fancy B&B) - so be sure if you're checking reviews of the correct place... while Moda is on a busy street I'd personally peg it as a significant step up from the Barclay Hotel!

Has anyone stayed at or are familiar with The Victorian? I booked a superior King (private bath) at a fantastic rate the night before our cruise. We are aware of the no elevator situation and enjoy funky/historic properties so am not worried about the quirkiness. It also seems to be in a convenient location (walking distance to sights, restaurants and bars) as well as close to the Skytrain. I am interested in better understanding if it is safe to walk during the day/early evening (the reviews are all over the place). We aren’t afraid of “urban character” as we live and work in Atlanta, however if it is truly not safe we will look at other accommodations.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hotel near Vancouver Int'l Airport questions. Cruise departs Aug 1. We fly from FL July 31 and arrive after midnight (technically Aug 1, day of departure) after 12+ hours of travel. We will be exhausted and just need place to crash for a few hours until boarding later same day.

Looking at Quality Hotel near airport, inexpensive, complimentary shuttle from airport and breakfast. My question is approx what will a taxi to the cruise port cost?

Thanks!

Has anyone stayed at or are familiar with The Victorian? I booked a superior King (private bath) at a fantastic rate the night before our cruise. We are aware of the no elevator situation and enjoy funky/historic properties so am not worried about the quirkiness. It also seems to be in a convenient location (walking distance to sights, restaurants and bars) as well as close to the Skytrain. I am interested in better understanding if it is safe to walk during the day/early evening (the reviews are all over the place). We aren’t afraid of “urban character” as we live and work in Atlanta, however if it is truly not safe we will look at other accommodations.

Thanks in advance!

It's on the same street (opposite side) as the Salvation Army's main Vancouver operation, so you will see the residents coming & going as well as the usual downtown folks begging, collecting bottles for refunds etc. Even the stabbiest neighbourhood here is almost certainly safer for visitors than the least dangerous part of Atlanta - crime stats in our neck of the woods are all about property theft (if you rent a car, NEVER leave any stuff visible inside the car) rather than any kind of crimes against persons...

You could do much worse than eating in Cinara, the resto on the ground floor of the Victorians newer wing - top notch Italian using seasonal local produce.

Hotel near Vancouver Int'l Airport questions. Cruise departs Aug 1. We fly from FL July 31 and arrive after midnight (technically Aug 1, day of departure) after 12+ hours of travel. We will be exhausted and just need place to crash for a few hours until boarding later same day.

Looking at Quality Hotel near airport, inexpensive, complimentary shuttle from airport and breakfast. My question is approx what will a taxi to the cruise port cost?

Thanks!

If you take the shuttle back to YVR and get in a cab there, CAD$35 exactly (+ tip). From the hotel, metered rates apply by law - most likely you're looking at $40-45 on the meter. Either way you can pay with credit card, and most cabbies happily take USD cash (at a worse-than-official exchange rate).

It's on the same street (opposite side) as the Salvation Army's main Vancouver operation, so you will see the residents coming & going as well as the usual downtown folks begging, collecting bottles for refunds etc. Even the stabbiest neighbourhood here is almost certainly safer for visitors than the least dangerous part of Atlanta - crime stats in our neck of the woods are all about property theft (if you rent a car, NEVER leave any stuff visible inside the car) rather than any kind of crimes against persons...

You could do much worse than eating in Cinara, the resto on the ground floor of the Victorians newer wing - top notch Italian using seasonal local produce.

Thank you for the response and the restaurant recommendation - I love restaurants that locally source.

The neighborhood sounds about how I imagined it would be (assuming you meant “shabbiest” and not “stabbiest” [emoji13]).

Very much looking forward to exploring Vancouver in 24 hours.

If you take the shuttle back to YVR and get in a cab there, CAD$35 exactly (+ tip). From the hotel, metered rates apply by law - most likely you're looking at $40-45 on the meter. Either way you can pay with credit card, and most cabbies happily take USD cash (at a worse-than-official exchange rate).

Thanks! We were noticing the public transport route seems to be fairly close to the hotel and goes close to the cruise port. We will have one 24-26" suitcase each and a carry-on each. It will be manageable for us as we like to carry on/off our luggage from the ship. Do you think the public transport is a viable option? I appreciate the help!!

Thank you for the response and the restaurant recommendation - I love restaurants that locally source.

The neighborhood sounds about how I imagined it would be (assuming you meant “shabbiest” and not “stabbiest” [emoji13]).

Very much looking forward to exploring Vancouver in 24 hours.

No, I did mean 'stabbiest' - as opposed to 'shootiest';-) Homer is pretty shiny, even the SA building is pretty modern, although Pender (the cross street) is rather gritty - a block east and you're entering the stabbiest 'hood though it gets steadily fancier heading west.

Resto-wise the entire local PNW food scene is all about seasonal local produce (John Bishop, of the eponymous still-running Bishops resto, pretty much invented modern locavore cuisine). Unfortunately a couple of key staff changes in Cinara mean I do have to issue a minor caveat - I met the new sous at a dinner party but he's never cooked for me and no clue who the new somm is. While the head chef is very hands-on, nights he's not working may be noticeable until the team has restabilized.

If you're really keen on a truly well-done locavore menu, then I can heartily recommend Burdock - it's a cab ride for you unless you feel like a really long walk, but being outside the downtown core it's also a wee bit cheaper so dinner for two and a cab will quite possibly still end up better value than downtown.

Thanks! We were noticing the public transport route seems to be fairly close to the hotel and goes close to the cruise port. We will have one 24-26" suitcase each and a carry-on each. It will be manageable for us as we like to carry on/off our luggage from the ship. Do you think the public transport is a viable option? I appreciate the help!!

Eminently viable - we take 28" rollers and carryons. Just don't transfer to or from buses or other SkyTrain lines, as there is nowhere to put luggage on transit except for the Canada Line to YVR (no luggage racks, seats have extra legroom and space underneath for bags to stay right with you).

Edited by martincath

No, I did mean 'stabbiest' - as opposed to 'shootiest';-) Homer is pretty shiny, even the SA building is pretty modern, although Pender (the cross street) is rather gritty - a block east and you're entering the stabbiest 'hood though it gets steadily fancier heading west.

Resto-wise the entire local PNW food scene is all about seasonal local produce (John Bishop, of the eponymous still-running Bishops resto, pretty much invented modern locavore cuisine). Unfortunately a couple of key staff changes in Cinara mean I do have to issue a minor caveat - I met the new sous at a dinner party but he's never cooked for me and no clue who the new somm is. While the head chef is very hands-on, nights he's not working may be noticeable until the team has restabilized.

If you're really keen on a truly well-done locavore menu, then I can heartily recommend Burdock - it's a cab ride for you unless you feel like a really long walk, but being outside the downtown core it's also a wee bit cheaper so dinner for two and a cab will quite possibly still end up better value than downtown.

Too funny, I have never heard the phrase “stabbiest” - so glad I double checked. We will definitely stay west (sort of like when we explored Chicago by foot and figured out how south we could go).

Burdock looks amazing - we don’t mind a cab ride for good food (especially when it is off the tourist path). So excited I was able to get us a reservation. Thanks again.

That is the one, but I really do not know about shuttle from port. We didn't even know about the shuttle to the port until I asked the best way to get to the port and they told us about it.

Received a reply to my query to Sheraton Wall Centre.

"Thank you for booking with us at the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre.

Unfortunately, we no longer provide the complimentary shuttle from the cruise terminal to/from the hotel.

It will be a short taxi ride for 3~5 mins from the cruise terminal to the hotel or 15-20 mins walking distance."

Eminently viable - we take 28" rollers and carryons. Just don't transfer to or from buses or other SkyTrain lines, as there is nowhere to put luggage on transit except for the Canada Line to YVR (no luggage racks, seats have extra legroom and space underneath for bags to stay right with you).

THANK YOU, AGAIN!!

Thanks!

Is this the Quality Hotel on Westminster by Gilbert? The location is South of the airport.

At USD$123 for July 31st on Booking.com, I have to admit... it's hard to beat that price compared to other nearby airport hotels. TaxiFareFinder estimates $33 to $77.

I was going to suggest the Coast Vancouver Airport as it's closer to the airport and port, but at USD$158. It's about the same as the longer cab trip from Westminster.

Wait.... I'm seeing availability at the YWCA for USD$134.30 for a double room with a private shower. I recommend going there for price and closeness to the port. Book soon to secure that listing! Cab ride to the YWCA vs the Quality Inn is not much different time wise after you land.

Edited by xlxo

My parents stayed at Lonsdale Quay. It's across the harbor but they have a very inexpensive ferry that will take you practically to the port. I'm going to Alaska in May and we booked that hotel again based on my parents recommendation. It was about $140/night but lots of stuff to do around that hotel and such before the cruise.

Is this the Quality Hotel on Westminster by Gilbert? The location is South of the airport.

At USD$123 for July 31st on Booking.com, I have to admit... it's hard to beat that price compared to other nearby airport hotels. TaxiFareFinder estimates $33 to $77.

I was going to suggest the Coast Vancouver Airport as it's closer to the airport and port, but at USD$158. It's about the same as the longer cab trip from Westminster.

Wait.... I'm seeing availability at the YWCA for USD$134.30 for a double room with a private shower. I recommend going there for price and closeness to the port. Book soon to secure that listing! Cab ride to the YWCA vs the Quality Inn is not much different time wise after you land.

Thanks for the input, but we're booked at Quality Hotel for $122 USD July 31. I used trivago.com and it stated the booking was non-refundable. So we will stick with Quality and take the Sky Train to the cruise port.

I did check on YWCA prior to booking and saw it was downtown but what I read was semi-private bath. I may have mis-read or didn't check something I should have. But we are good with Quality for one half-night. Also the airport pick up and hot breakfast (both complimentary) added to my decision. These boards are awesome, I only knew about the YWCA from this board.

Thanks again for your help!