Princess St. Andrews Excursion

smm0218

If you have taken the Princess St. Andrews excursion I would be interested in knowing how much time is actually spent at the Golf Course. DH is interested in the golf course (not to golf) but if he would only be getting a little bit there it probably won't be worth it.

Thanks

Sandi

Hi, assuming you are docking in South Queensferry as we did - its a long bus ride to St. Andrew's and back. We had a great guide and he pointed out interesting spots along the way. We were let off right at the golf course and stood there in awe!!! We walked a couple of blocks into the very nice town and hung out there after going around the shops at the course. I think our entire trip was from 2pm - 6pm which really didn't give us much time in St. Andrew's - I think about 1.5 hours. Overall we were both so happy we took this excursion and felt it was well worth the money.

Hi, assuming you are docking in South Queensferry as we did - its a long bus ride to St. Andrew's and back. We had a great guide and he pointed out interesting spots along the way. We were let off right at the golf course and stood there in awe!!! We walked a couple of blocks into the very nice town and hung out there after going around the shops at the course. I think our entire trip was from 2pm - 6pm which really didn't give us much time in St. Andrew's - I think about 1.5 hours. Overall we were both so happy we took this excursion and felt it was well worth the money.

Thanks, that's just what I wanted to know. DH has also mentioned he would like to see Old Tom Morris' store, and I'm guessing it's close to Golf Course.

Did you go into Edinburgh and then back to ship to get excursion?

Thanks

Sandi

Hello again. We took the Princess excursion - not something we have done in the past but St. Andrew's was quite a distance from the ship and we aren't that adventurous with public transportation.... You get tendered from ship to port there which adds to the time as well. When you get dropped off at the course Tom Morris store is steps away - we had fun shopping there and talking to the manager - very friendly. If you could get this excursion in the morning you could probably get back and take the bus to Edinburgh in the afternoon. We had planned to go there in the morning before boarding the bus but overslept and it wouldn't have worked for us. Later we were chatting with others that had gone into Edinburgh and they said they were sorry they went as it was raining all day and not a great time walking outside in the rain.

This is a great cruise, our best to date, you will love it! If you are leaving from Southampton and staying pre or post cruise its a lovely town and lots to see. Enjoy it all!!!!

Karen

Karen

Thanks so much for the advice. I didn't see a morning option (maybe already full or I missed it , I'll have to look again)he really wants to see St. Andrews but also wouldn't mind seeing castle. So for an afternoon excursion we would have to tender to pier, go to Edinburgh, see castle then I would have to get him back to ship to meet excursion, with transport from/ to Edinburgh at least a half hour each way. DH is somewhat directions challenged, so I can't, for example, tell him just go back the way we came and get on bus/train and go back to ship.I wanted to spend time in Edinburgh and let him go to St. Andrews but I'm going to have to think about this.