HAL Westerdam vs Celebrity Millenium

mresera

I am looking at going on a first cruise to Alaska. We have narrowed it down to two choices. Both are Vancouver to Seward over 7 days. Itinerary is very similar on both cruise lines. We have 4 and 6 year old children. Any other cruise factors or recommendations when Westerdam and Millenium are so similar in terms of itinerary? Both even have similar ratings. Thanks

We have never been on the Westerdam, but have been on the Millennium several times. Even those of us who live in Alaska do take Alaska cruises, and last summer we did a B2B on the Millennium (Seward to Vancouver and then back to Seward).

The Millie is one of the older Celebrity ships but was in excellent condition last summer. And Alaska Celebrity sailings have a noticeably larger number of families with young children.

I am looking at going on a first cruise to Alaska. We have narrowed it down to two choices. Both are Vancouver to Seward over 7 days. Itinerary is very similar on both cruise lines. We have 4 and 6 year old children. Any other cruise factors or recommendations when Westerdam and Millenium are so similar in terms of itinerary? Both even have similar ratings. Thanks

I would choose the itinerary that has the most times in the ports you want to visit. For many, including me, the ports are more important than the specific ship or cruise line.

If the itineraries are similar, I would then check out the kids programs to see which would appeal to your children. HAL tends to attract an older clientele than other lines, but does have more families aboard in Alaska than on their other itineraries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've sailed on both. Holland tends to be an older crowd, with fewer children. That can be good and bad....fewer kids in the kids club (so yours get more attention) but then again...fewer kids for them to make friends with. I agree with choosing the itinerary that works best for you. If trying to decide between the glaciers, here is a good article on the pros/cons of each. https://zest4travel.wordpress.com/2017/03/12/pros-and-cons-of-hubbard-glacier-glacier-bay-and-tracy-arm-fjord/

Does Celebrity still have issues with its Pods system? I know for a while a few years back, Celebrity was cancelling entire cruises or missing ports quite often due to pod propulsion problems. Moreso it seemed than other lines that use pods.