coki beach and coral world condition post hurrican

ginger123snaps

• 2 weeks later...

The Coral World web site tells you what activities are available. Also their Facebook page. Make sure you also check the calendar on their web site to confirm they will be open.

Recent Coki reviews (on other sites) are favorable with no mention of hurricane damage.

My current plan is to visit Coral World & Coki Beach next week. It will be my first time to St. Thomas.

The Coral World web site tells you what activities are available. Also their Facebook page. Make sure you also check the calendar on their web site to confirm they will be open.

Recent Coki reviews (on other sites) are favorable with no mention of hurricane damage.

My current plan is to visit Coral World & Coki Beach next week. It will be my first time to St. Thomas.

Would you be so very kind as to report back after you go? This is my plan for early April & would love feedback. TIA

• 2 weeks later...
Would you be so very kind as to report back after you go? This is my plan for early April & would love feedback. TIA

This turned out to be the worst day of the trip but it's not the beach's fault. Last Wednesday the weather was mostly overcast and rainy and chilly. In the morning there was sun and it seemed like any rain might pass. We headed out after lunch on the ship.

Transportation was more expensive than I expected. $10 each way -- that's $80 for a family of four for 12 miles -- in a shared ride on an open-air trolley-style bus. I didn't see a way to avoid the "tour." I paid for just one way expecting to take another operator back.

I had prepaid admission to Coral World so we went there. It was interesting/enjoyable but very small. Not worth going out of your way to see in my opinion. But if you're going to Coki Beach anyway, why not? Probably would be more interesting with the guided tour option. We hung out there in the indoor coral reef exhibit hoping the rain would let up. After a break in the rain, we went to Coki Beach which was immediately next door. Very short walk. Snorkel rentals available. I could imagine the beach being very nice on a nice day but alas, it was overcast with just a dozen or so people in the water. I assume most people there were hanging out in the bars. I didn't have time to check any of them out.

\We were determined to make the best of it. Rented one lounge and umbrella for $10. Waves were strong enough for the kids to have fun. Too strong for young kids. Since we had lugged our snorkel gear all this way we went into the water and saw some tropical fish. Kids enjoyed it.

At four however while I was still in the water with the kids, the driver came and said we should go as everybody was leaving and there would be no other transportation out here back to the cruise port. Indeed, the beach looked mostly abandoned so we rushed to grab our stuff and join the ride back. They took a different route back, stopping at an overlook for a bathroom/picture break where I think there would normally be vendors trying to sell stuff but even they had left due to the weather. All in all we were only on the island for about 4 hours.

On that particular day Coki Beach was not the best option but on a nice day, I can imagine a Coki Beach trip to make for a fantastic day.

Thanks. The website made it appear they were closed till June.

Edited by B&J_Pgh