Food Allergy Help

CarolTFL

Has anyone traveled on Royal with severe food allergies in Europe? I'm specifically looking for information regarding allergy friendly brands that were available on the ship. We are traveling on the Symphony out of Barcelona, and in the past, we have filled out the Special Request Forms to include specific brands for our children so that desserts are more easily accommodated. They have extensive allergies and we were able to source Enjoy Life, Piping Gourmet Whoopie Pies, Egg Replacer, CherryBrook Farms cake mix, as well as additional items required for their diet. We were unable to get a "safe" margarine for all three of our kids, nor a safe ice-cream on board. I'm concerned about what is available on a European cruise. For them, it's all about breakfast and dessert...those are the hardest meals to accommodate, but at the same time what makes it special for them. Any and all advice is appreciated.

I have....not too helpful at this point, but we are at early stages. The dilemma is I need to fill out the form requesting what I need. The problem is I don’t know what is available. Food allergy items available in the US are surely different than Europe. I’ve asked for prior cruiser information as a starting point, and I’m not getting anywhere. So...I’m here, looking for real people who have experienced this.

Good Afternoon, my wife also has numerous allergies: all wheat, corn, corn syrup, dairy, etc, etc. For a Baltic’s cruise, we carried most of one piece of luggage filled with our own crackers, chips and other bread substitutes as well as special chocolates for treats. We researched our embarkation port, Copenhagen, and located a couple of health food stores with contact information online. We asked questions of those stores by email prior to leaving home. We flew in early and purchased goat milk yogurt and cheeses prior to boarding. We also purchased a small cooler as we have found the ships refrigerators to not be very cold. On board, my wife ate lots of plain chicken breasts, plain fish, etc. At breakfast, it was best to go to the omelette station to ensure any eggs served were pure without any additives. good luck.

Health food store is an excellent idea. I'm looking for brands to ASK the cruise ship to carry to have available on board. We had success with this in the past with lots of planning. Breakfast and desserts are huge for our kids while on vacation and the hardest to accommodate. I know the allergy brands here...

I would maybe try to locate an allergy forum type website from Europe that you could ask questions on, specific to the kinds of items you are looking for, or at least try the disabled section of this site as people do post on there about food allergies from time to time.

Maybe someone knows whether RC stocks local brands while in Europe or if they ship in American supplies, which I know they do for some countries.