Water quality at beaches?

KellyOKelly

Hi there,

Our group will be in St. Thomas in about a month. I've read concerns that the water quality at beaches in St. Thomas aren't as clean as in the past because of all the hurricane damage (broken sewer pipes, etc.). I've also read that people are still going in the water and snorkeling so I'm not sure what to believe. Do any of you have any insight on this? We will be snorkeling on Princess Cay so if we end up not going in the water we'll still be ok. I'm also going to to ask this on the St. Martin board (sorry for the double post if you see it!)

The bathroom situation is scaring me a little too! Are there any bathrooms on any beaches that aren't ports potties that haven't been cleaned out? Idk!

Thank you so much!

Kelly

Most beaches in the USVI are tested weekly using EPA standards and those deemed safe for swimming and fishing are posted on various places online. Almost all the beaches have been passing every week using very high standards.

I think the beaches on St John have had to resort to port a potties, but many of the beaches on St Thomas have clean, regular bathrooms. Check posts for Emerald Beach and Secret Harbor as examples.

• 2 weeks later...

The official name of Emerald Beach is Lindbergh Bay, so that's often how the locals refer to it. From what I've read it rarely fails the water quality test. The few that do are the ones that aren't popular so nobody recommends them.

If there is a serious issue at any beach, they close it until the issue is resolved.