Hard Beds on X

Islandbuoy

Can anyone confirm the availability of " egg carton" tops for beds for those with bad backs ?? How do I obtain? thx!!

Yes, they are availaable. Just ask your room attendant (otherwise known as a cabin steward ;) ) and he/she will be more than happy to accomodate your request. Anything that you need or have a question about, don't hesitate to ask the attendant. They will know or will know who to direct you to. They are looking to please, since their gratuity at the end of the cruise will reflect the level of service.

On Infinity in Nov. I asked and obtained a "topping " for the bed, I mentioned this to the two couples at my table who were complaining re the hard beds.

Couple "A" received a "topping" for one of the beds but had to make 3 more requests to get one for the other bed.

Couple "B" was told by their cabin steward that "only the conceige cabins" could have "toppings", I told them to go to the "front desk" as I was most certainly not in a conceige class cabin, they did as I suggested and got the "topping" they had requested.

You may have to be persistent in your request. but they are most certainly available.

The staff can be indifferent even in the dining room, our waiter was not only slow, he never even told us that "X was good tonight", he claimed no one could have "additional helpings" and even claimed that "there were NO TEAPOTS available" for those who ordered tea.

In fact 5 of the 6 at the table gave him less than the suggested "tip", #6 claimed she never tipped anyone, good or bad.

As always, it is a question of individual staff , other diners had waiters that were attentive, always gave advice, provided "seconds" (sometimes without being asked). The crew, officers, cooks etc, change with almost every cruise a fact we ,the passengers sometimes forget. and I am just as prone to do this as anyone else.

Re the "egg carton topping": does this make the bed more firm, or soft?

My DH has a back issue and the doctor recommends that he actually sleep on a board! I, on the otherhand, love a pillow top mattress....we will not be in concerige, but in an FV, and wonder if our request will be honored for these various toppings and pillows?

Re the "egg carton topping": does this make the bed more firm, or soft?

My DH has a back issue and the doctor recommends that he actually sleep on a board! I, on the otherhand, love a pillow top mattress....we will not be in concerige, but in an FV, and wonder if our request will be honored for these various toppings and pillows?

It makes it softer-ask for a half of one for single beds :) you have it your way he has it his! P.S. Ask early or they go away -the knowlegable know to get them first thing...otherwise you risk nnot having one at all.

We were on Century in November, and the mattresses we had were worn out years ago. They were actually so bad that you could feel the spring coils through the mattress top with your hand, without pressing down. The first night we lived with it, but didn't get much sleep. We asked for the egg flat mattress pads and they helped a lot.

What would be great, is for "X" to have decent mattresses so people wouldn't have to beg for mattress pads to make them bearable.. That would solved the problem completely. HAL and Carnival (in some ships, and moving to others) have converted to excellent mattresses like we have at home, and not the standard issue ship mattress. They are GREAT. "X" needs to get with the program.

Ken

Archived