Iconcierge App on Getaway...Have you used it???

jserra82

We will be sailing with 20-30 people for the 3/11 sailing and looking for ways that will allow us to communicate with each other while onboard. I know that there is a service through the iconcierge app that will allow passengers to call/text each other but have been unable to get a concrete answer on the fee and how well the service works.

I appreciate any feedback!

$14.99 per person for the duration of the cruise.

When it works the service works reasonably well, but in my experience it's kind of spotty (this is using the Android app). It's not really Norwegian's fault, but many Android phones include power-saving features that include closing or suspending apps that haven't been used in a while. Most phone manufacturers have gotten pretty good at realizing not to do this with chat apps like Snapchat and Kik and clearing them to stay active in the background; however, since the iConcierge app isn't widely used most phone will apply power-saving features to it.

If that happens someone might send you a message or try to call you and although Norwegian will relay the signal to your phone, it won't get the call or message until the next time you open the iConcierge app on the phone. Think of what it's like when you get off a flight, turn airplane mode off on your phone, and suddenly all the texts sent while you were in the air come flooding through. That's what it was like for me whenever I'd open the iConcierge app.

If you can get people into the habit of checking the app regularly or if you send messages that don't need to be received right away it will work just fine for you. Or if you or someone you know is fairly tech savvy they might be able to fix this problem for you and make it so messages arrive instantly. I like to think of myself as tech savvy, but with each new version of Android and different phone it seems like they change around how this works and I'll admit I wasn't able to figure it out on the last cruise I was on.