Theme nights

Jakk

How do you know what to pack for a theme night? I just looked at Celebrity & they mentioned different types of themes. Is this standard, fun, silly, or part of the cruise experience? We're sailing to Alaska, on Infinity, I'd like to know what to plan for. Thanks for any help at all. By the way 12 night cruise, I'm assuming this will be done!

I haven't seen anyone dress up for theme nights - usually, there is a party in one of the lounges or poolside (tropical night, tex-mex, sock-hop, etc). The only time I saw people dress was for Halloween where dress code was informal or halloween costume. Otherwise, nearly all follow the evening dress code.

I've been on three X cruises and I've not ever seen a theme night, with the exception of Island or Carribbean night and even then it was just a matter of wearing an Hawaiian print shirt. They've not had anything that required a costume or special type of dress. I've been on 7, 10 and 11 night cruises and we didn't have a 50's night or a Country/Western night or anything that required we pack anything special.

I've been on three X cruises and I've not ever seen a theme night, with the exception of Island or Carribbean night and even then it was just a matter of wearing an Hawaiian print shirt. They've not had anything that required a costume or special type of dress. I've been on 7, 10 and 11 night cruises and we didn't have a 50's night or a Country/Western night or anything that required we pack anything special.

In contrast,there have been themes nights on all of my X cruises. The melons on parade night usually has a caribbean flavor and an island or hawaiian shirt would be fine. There are occasional country and western themes that feature polside line dancing and a tex-mex buffett.in the disco there is usually a 50's night with doo-wop music and staff in poodle skirts-usually a twist contest...I remember 'cause i won it...thrill of a lifetime...no free cruise but a bottle of champagne and the adulation of countless women -no doubt.

However, none of these require your dressing up except for the stupid Cirque "masquerade ball" on the Constellation, which required a mask and suggested some white clothing for black light effect. On the other hand were you to bring your poodle skirt,cowboy boots and hat etc no one would object...have fun and do whatever makes you feel good.

Many years ago there were costume balls and I even remember a French apache night on the Home lines 20 years ago,when I was a little child.

drfun48, yes, there are evenings when they do things like the line dancing and a 50's/60's music night or the Island buffet, but none of those events actually had people wearing outfits that reflected those things. We went to the sock hop where they did the twist contest, and we did the line dancing thing, but no one was wearing costumes. To be honest, the only time I've seen passengers wearing anything different from their usual clothing was at Halloween, and even then, participation was quite low. Considering that the airlines are so strict with how much you can pack, I just wanted the original poster to understand that you don't need to worry about packing costumes or special outfit to match any particular evenings on board a ship.

Archived