Cruise Director -- Galaxy

arkcruiser

Not sure if this is recent enough for you' date=' but we were on the Thanksgiving sailing and the CD was Shawn Cavanah.[/quote']Still was as of 12/17 when we returned. Shawn was OK -- high energy and all that -- but if he had special talents of his own, he kept them a secret.

I still miss Alan the Scotsman -- best Celebrity CD we've ever had. Need to look up his last name in the cruise docs one of these days. He was the sort that could do a "groaner" every day, but had his audience sympathizing with him in the process! He was CD on the Galaxy during our cruise of 12/02. Heard he went to Silversea, but could never confirm it.

Still was as of 12/17 when we returned. Shawn was OK -- high energy and all that -- but if he had special talents of his own, he kept them a secret.

If anyone sails with Shawn anytime soon, please tell him the "Duckie" lady says Hi. We sailed with him a few times on HAL. We had John Challenger on our Galaxy cruise last year and I understand he's now back at HAL.

TIA and Happy Holidays to all.

I still miss Alan the Scotsman -- best Celebrity CD we've ever had. Need to look up his last name in the cruise docs one of these days. He was the sort that could do a "groaner" every day, but had his audience sympathizing with him in the process! He was CD on the Galaxy during our cruise of 12/02. Heard he went to Silversea, but could never confirm it.

Hi Canderson !

You are referring to Allan King. Allan is definately still with Celebrity. He was our CD on Century a few weeks ago. I have had the pleasure of sailing with Allan several times on Celebrity, and he is one of the very best CD's on the Seas. Allan is very visable, and he truly cares about the passengers, and their overall Cruise experience. And yes, his "groaners" are a lot of fun too !

Hi Canderson !

You are referring to Allan King. Allan is definately still with Celebrity. He was our CD on Century a few weeks ago. I have had the pleasure of sailing with Allan several times on Celebrity, and he is one of the very best CD's on the Seas. Allan is very visable, and he truly cares about the passengers, and their overall Cruise experience. And yes, his "groaners" are a lot of fun too !

I'm very glad to hear that Celebrity has kept him on and vice versa. Thus far, we've had only one cruise with him - the Galaxy cruise 3 years ago. I hope that we have the good fortune to run across him again. I'd agree that he's one of the best. He builds a real rapport with his audience, and as you say, was very visible off-stage as well. He actually seems to enjoy what he does for a living -- and that can make a very big difference.

As a result of your post, I've looked around, and as far as I can tell, Allan has worked at times on the Infinity and Galaxy, started with the first sailing of Mercury in 1995, and has recently spent his time on Century -- one of the X ships we haven't sailed yet. I noted that he was once quoted as a CD for Costa in reference to a performer.

I had Shawn C on the Zenith and he is a great guy, You have to get to know him,, stop him when you see him and start chatting with him and he will be very charming...

His wife sometimes travels with him working in shore excursions.

Don

I had Shawn C on the Zenith and he is a great guy, You have to get to know him,, stop him when you see him and start chatting with him and he will be very charming...

His wife sometimes travels with him working in shore excursions.

Don

He did visit our CC party, and in a 1-on-1 basis, he was quite personable.

However, one of the CD's larger responsibilties includes the stage, and Shawn didn't really shine there.

As a somewhat frequent cruiser, it's my feeling that the high profile job of a CD requires both the personality and interest in the guests at the individual level AND the ability to project that on stage. Even on a little ship with 87 passengers (the Viking Pride - Good Job, Casey!), the role of the CD in helping to set the tone for the cruise is important. Shawn didn't seem to be setting a tone as much as trying to force one, if that makes any sense. It's as though he were trying to convince me that I was having a good time instead of sharing one with me.

It's something that I'm sure could be acquired as a skill, and I'd be willing to bet that Shawn could do it, too.

I'm very glad to hear that Celebrity has kept him on and vice versa. Thus far, we've had only one cruise with him - the Galaxy cruise 3 years ago. I hope that we have the good fortune to run across him again. I'd agree that he's one of the best. He builds a real rapport with his audience, and as you say, was very visible off-stage as well. He actually seems to enjoy what he does for a living -- and that can make a very big difference.

As a result of your post, I've looked around, and as far as I can tell, Allan has worked at times on the Infinity and Galaxy, started with the first sailing of Mercury in 1995, and has recently spent his time on Century -- one of the X ships we haven't sailed yet. I noted that he was once quoted as a CD for Costa in reference to a performer.

Hi Canderson !

I do believe that Allan was with Costa many years ago. I had the good fortune of spending some time with him on my Century sailing a few weeks ago, and he can truly tell you some fascinating stories of life as a CD. He is a very geniune person, and very well liked by passengers and crew. Celebrity is lucky to have him.

I am pretty sure that Allan (other than his time off) has spent much of the past 2-3 years on Century. From our conversations, he seems to feel very comfortable there.

Archived