Montego Bay Beaches/Port Area

punkin35

We will be in Montego Bay in 2 weeks! We booked this cruise because this is one place we haven't been on any of our other cruises. Now, with the state of emergency and the violence, I'm a little worried to do an excursion.

Has anyone been to Montego Bay in the last few weeks? What was the situation like? Did you feel safe getting off the ship? And, are there things to do near the port, like a beach or shopping that would be considered safer than an excursion?

Looks like the Dream will be the only ship in port that day. Any info is appreciated! Thanks

My mom is going to Ochos Rios this week. I'll get a report back from her. It seems Montego Bay is the worse area though. We may just have a pool day on ship that day. Not taking any chances.

I'm hoping someone replies that has been there recently. Let's stay tuned :D

We will be in Montego Bay in 2 weeks! We booked this cruise because this is one place we haven't been on any of our other cruises. Now, with the state of emergency and the violence, I'm a little worried to do an excursion.

Has anyone been to Montego Bay in the last few weeks? What was the situation like? Did you feel safe getting off the ship? And, are there things to do near the port, like a beach or shopping that would be considered safer than an excursion?

Looks like the Dream will be the only ship in port that day. Any info is appreciated! Thanks

We were there on the Breeze on January 17th which was a few days before reports of violence started hitting mainstream media. We traveled 18km south from the cruise port for a river rafting excursion and afterward we went to the beach at Hard Rock resort near the cruise port for a couple hours. We saw nothing that hinted of any violence which doesn’t mean it isn’t occurring. I would go back with no reservation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll be there next week on the Dream. The State Dept. still only has a level 2 travel warning for Jamaica. Most other places in the Caribbean have a level 2 or even worse level 3 warning. I have an excursion planned and feel pretty safe about it.

The state of emergency merely means that the police are cracking down on the bad guys and there will probably be less violence than usual while the state of emergency exists.

Following also.

Will be on the Dream March 4th. Always been very skeptical about the safety in Jamaica anyway...a little more now with the reports I have been reading. Of course, violence is everywhere and you just have to be careful. Depending on what everyone reports, we may do an excursion, but no jewelry, no purses or bags except for waters and a few snack so if it gets gone oh well. All money and ID will be on an inside pocket of clothing (which I prefer most of the time).

Cruise #6 coming soon!

I read this idea on another post but thought it maybe useful if you are planning on doing an excursion and worried about being rob. Take a fake wallet with you and hide your real wallet in an inside pocket. The thieves know you won’t leave the ship without ID and money so I don’t think you can fool them by saying you don’t have anything. I thought it was a good idea. I truly don’t think that the cruise lines would go into a port if they felt it was unsafe for their passengers. Have fun just be smart!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First, I love your screen name... Get your fat pants on!!!!! Cracks me up!

Next, that is a great idea... but scares the crap out of me to think about that happening!

We've yet to decide what we will do. Doesn't look like MoBay has too many excursions nearby without traveling to Ochoa Rios. I think we will just play it by ear. Maybe just go to a nearby beach. Even though I looked at those and there was nothing that looked too great either (Trip Advisor). But hey, we are on a cruise and not at work, so it's all good!!!

I read this idea on another post but thought it maybe useful if you are planning on doing an excursion and worried about being rob. Take a fake wallet with you and hide your real wallet in an inside pocket. The thieves know you won’t leave the ship without ID and money so I don’t think you can fool them by saying you don’t have anything. I thought it was a good idea. I truly don’t think that the cruise lines would go into a port if they felt it was unsafe for their passengers. Have fun just be smart!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...