six hours in Juneau, rental car?

kathyemma

We arrive in Juneau at 10am. We have a whale watching trip booked at 4pm. We were just going to take the shuttle over to Mendenhall Glacier in the morning and hang there. I keep seeing posts about people renting cars for the day. Is it just to save money on the shuttle? Are there other things near Juneau that we will want to see? If we rent a car is there parking at the Glacier? I understand cabs drop you off a bit from the glacier - would this be where we would have to park? My daughter has a handicap parking pass. Is there handicap parking in the area?

We arrive in Juneau at 10am. We have a whale watching trip booked at 4pm. We were just going to take the shuttle over to Mendenhall Glacier in the morning and hang there. I keep seeing posts about people renting cars for the day. Is it just to save money on the shuttle? Are there other things near Juneau that we will want to see? If we rent a car is there parking at the Glacier? I understand cabs drop you off a bit from the glacier - would this be where we would have to park? My daughter has a handicap parking pass. Is there handicap parking in the area?

There is plenty of free parking at Mendenhall - there is handicapped parking too. Where is the whale watching tour originating? If it would make sense you could go there in the rental car instead of going back to the ship and having them pick you up. You'll save time that could be used for something else.

FYI, if anyone in your group has one of the Senior Pass (or possibly your daughter with the handicapped parking pass has the lifetime free entrance card) can take themselves and three others into a park for free.

Here's a link for info on getting the pass for disabled people: NATIONAL PARK ACCESS PASS INFO

There is plenty of free parking at Mendenhall - there is handicapped parking too. Where is the whale watching tour originating? If it would make sense you could go there in the rental car instead of going back to the ship and having them pick you up. You'll save time that could be used for something else.

FYI, if anyone in your group has one of the Senior Pass (or possibly your daughter with the handicapped parking pass has the lifetime free entrance card) can take themselves and three others into a park for free.

Here's a link for info on getting the pass for disabled people: NATIONAL PARK ACCESS PASS INFO

We are doing the whale watch with Jayleen's Alaska. That is a good idea. I should contact her and just meet her at the location instead of heading back to the ship. I will look into the passes.

Thank you