Snorkeling question for Travelworks

momofzeke

Travelworks, I saw your post about Goff's Caye/Bannister Island snorkeling. Can you (or anyone else) tell me more about the snorkeling in these two spots? Specifically, I'm wondering about Bannister Island. You say snorkeling is better on Goff's Caye, but are there fish to see off Bannister Island at all? Goff's Caye looks beautiful, but it seems like there might be a bit more to do at Bannister Island for the rest of my family, who aren't all that interested in snorkeling. I've only been snorkeling once, and it was in Cabo San Lucas, where there were HARDLY any fish at all, and I still loved it!

• 2 weeks later...
Travelworks, I saw your post about Goff's Caye/Bannister Island snorkeling. Can you (or anyone else) tell me more about the snorkeling in these two spots? Specifically, I'm wondering about Bannister Island. You say snorkeling is better on Goff's Caye, but are there fish to see off Bannister Island at all? Goff's Caye looks beautiful, but it seems like there might be a bit more to do at Bannister Island for the rest of my family, who aren't all that interested in snorkeling. I've only been snorkeling once, and it was in Cabo San Lucas, where there were HARDLY any fish at all, and I still loved it!

Sorry....I just saw this!

I just was there two weeks ago...and I am so in love with this little gem of the world...I really feel sorry for people on the threads who didn't like Belize...I can honestly say they didn't book an excursion...because this is the most wonderful place in the world...a lot of choices!!! It really is a matter of personal choice...The Cayes are on the second largest barrier reef in the world...so next to snorkeling in Austrailia...it doesn't get much better! I am right now writing my review of our day in Belize and will have it posted within the hour it will be titled my "Best day ever in BELIZE" with loads of references and at least one or two pictures! Please read it and if you have any further questions and cannot find me surfing the boards email me at cruisephotos@gmail.com !

I live in Cozumel but visited Turneffe Atoll last year and the coral formations and sealife were very impressive. Belize is certainly up there as one of the world's top snorkeling destinations along with Cozumel, but of course it depends on exactly where you go...

The www.belize-paradise.com tour goes to Turneffe first (for snorkeling) then on to Bannister Island afterwards. You can snorkel at the island too, but Turneffe is the best. The island is more for relaxing, sunbathing, kayaking etc.

Hope that helps a little

Ian

I live in Cozumel but visited Turneffe Atoll last year and the coral formations and sealife were very impressive. Belize is certainly up there as one of the world's top snorkeling destinations along with Cozumel, but of course it depends on exactly where you go...

The www.belize-paradise.com tour goes to Turneffe first (for snorkeling) then on to Bannister Island afterwards. You can snorkel at the island too, but Turneffe is the best. The island is more for relaxing, sunbathing, kayaking etc.

Hope that helps a little

Ian

Thanks Ian...

Great reference!!!

It is also a ship-sponsered tour so it does pick you up right from the ship... www.belize-paradise.com - the catamaran that takes you to Turneffe holds around 170 people. It is also more money because of this...but...

I also think it is a much better option than just going to Bannister Island...

because you can get a great snorkel and then later a beach to relax on...

(I still think the Cayes- Rendevous or Goff's- are great! and give you both in one location...~)

For those who are interested and now totally confused:

Turneffe is a great location...Turneffe is something I would normally recommend for expierenced divers/snorkelers...or people who have been to Belize before and are looking for a new adventure! There is more to see here in BELIZE than any one day can do...you could live here your whole life and not see everything!

ABOUT TURNEFFE ATOLL

Turneffe isn't a caye it is an atoll.

It is pretty big(see description below)...so if you book this ask them where they are really going to snorkel at the atoll...because there are several sites!

I also have added a map below...just so you can see what it looks like.

It is not right on the barrier reef it is actually further East! Despite the fact they claim this in their website...none the less it is amazing site....

map.jpg

map.jpg

Turneffe Atoll is the closest to the mainland and the barrier reef of the three atolls in Belize. Located 15 miles east of Belize City the Turneffe Islands surround the largest atoll. Unlike the other atolls, Turneffe is unique; it is not a ringlet of sandy islets like Lighthouse Reef Atoll and Glover's Atoll (the other two atolls in Belize), but is instead nearly covered with thick green mangroves and a shallow lagoon. Turneffe is the only Caribbean Atoll made up of dozens of mangrove islands which are the juvenile nurseries for coral reefs and many schools of fish. Turneffe Atoll, the largest of three atolls found in Belize, is 30 miles long. The water dept measures between 55 and 65 feet.

TURNEFFE ATOLL AND THE TURNEFFE ISLANDS UP CLOSE:

turneffemapsm.jpg

***ALSO~IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE IN BELIZE FOR MORE THAN ONE DAY~OR A VERY LONG DAY-and you are a serious diver/snorkeler...This place is awesome!!!***

ABOUT THE BLUE HOLE:

THE BLUE HOLE ...Not too far from Turneffe Atoll is expensive but an amazing place!!! It is located further east than Turneffe Atoll at the Lighthouse Reef Atoll. The Blue hole formed during the ice ages...it is a real world wonder! This is a $125 snorkel for serious snorkelers...you need a lot of time to do this~this tour doesn't start at the pier it starts from Caye Cauker. Divers expect to pay more here! My dad did this dive 3 years ago and hasn't been able to top it since!

SNORKEL BLUE HOLE

Snorkel the world famous Blue Hole. A geological phenomenon is 1000 feet in diameter and over 350 feet deep. Ancient coral reef that developed and prospered. We snorkel the perimeter of the hole as the divers explore the stalagmites. Next snorkeling site is Half Moon Caye's wall. We start on a sandy seabed, imprints of sting ray and conchs, leading to patches of sea grass with garden eels protruding from the sand sinuously moving together then vanishing rapidly as you approach. Coral patches vigorously alive with marine life. Eagle rays, turtles, morays may be seen. We enjoy a well prepared lunch on Half Moon Caye Island and have lots of time to find the red footed booby birds. We depart Half Moon Caye and journey to Turneffe Atoll where we cruise the uninhabited mangrove islands of Turneffe Lagoon before reaching Caye Caulker by 4:30pm. Trip starts at 7am.

swirling%20bullet.gif $125USD including $80BZD park fee

Blue%20Hole.jpg

THIS IS THEIR WEBSITE:

There are other Dive Shops that also do this area but here is the guys that do this snorkel trip....

http://www.tsunamiadventures.com/snorkeling.htm

So to get back to your original question....

I do not think Bannister island is a good place to snorkel...there isn't any coral to speak of...it isn't a reef...it is a nice beach with a bar. That is it.

But that may be what you are looking for so I am not knocking it...

If you want to snorkel and have a beach time....I recommend you also look at the excursion Ian mentioned or go to one of the cayes...where you get an island beach on a reef ...so you can have the both sand and snorkel...

I hope that helps...

Here is also my link to my most recent review from my latest trip there...please keep in mind that everyone in our group except me was new to Belize and most were first time snorkelers...I picked my location for this reason...It is a nice place to learn to snorkel...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=273574

I also happened to be in Belize on a great day for weather and visibility...about 130 feet! If I had been diving this day...the blue hole would have been awesome! I think it is really important that people do what they want no matter what someone else says is the "BEST"...because we are all individuals and have different comfort levels...and different interests!

The important thing is just to do something!

Have fun!!! It is your vacation!

Amy

PS email me and share how your day went!

cruisephotos@gmail.com

Picture below is of my best friend Kathleen and I on Goff's Caye...she says she dreams of still being here when she is sleeping...It was a great day!

attachment.php?attachmentid=14899&stc=1&d=1136281716

We will be on the Explorer in March and was wondering if the snorkeling/beach break excursions were appropriate for an 8 year old. He's a good swimmer but I wasn't sure how deep/rough the water is.

Thanks!

It depends on the eight year old...

I had my kids out on the cayes snorkeling from the beach starting around 6 years old...

I brought their life vests from home with me and they had there own snorkels sets. I wanted to make sure the masks fit their little faces with out leaking and that they had the newer "easy clear comfort vent" at the bottom of the snorkel for easier breathing (I attached picture below)---the old snorkels just looked like a long letter j and it took a greater effort to clear them if water got in)...It made me feel safer! And they never had any problems!

I wouldn't recommend snorkeling in really rough waters ever for anyone~old or young~...it is hard work!

When the weather is good and the water smooth it is fun for all ages no matter how deep it is because you are floating at the top. I also would recommend young children who are snorkeling for the first time to go from a beach (My children's first snorkel was from Goff's Caye)...when they get tired they can swim back in and rest....

I think jumping in from a boat the first time scares some people....I wanted my kids to have a good first experience...now they are like fish in water and can snorkel anywhere....

When you are snorkeling everyone should have a partner for safety...So I always swim with my youngest one as my partner and then try to keep up!!!

Have fun!

Let me know how it goes!

1028399093_atshirtlogo6.jpg.ea88d79dac28923140494eb52573b14e.jpg

Have fun no matter what you decide...I am glad that you are doing something!!! Belize City and the pier are not that great compared to the incredible things that you can see and do in Belize...

please enjoy some tour here...this really is a great place~there is so much to see here...between the reef/and cayes...the limestone carverns(cave tubing)...the jungles(ziplines) and the ruins~ It is hard to make up your mind~ I think it is one of the best cruise stops because of this~the only people who don't like Belize are people who do not book tours here...there is way to many ecological tours to be bored here!

Have Fun and please let me know how your day goes!

cruisephotos@gmail.com

Archived