Alaskan White Pass Scenic Railway in Skagway

donnajo56

North side of the train for round trips, too.

There's a "headshunt" at the Pass that lets the engines "run around" the cars

to pull them back down to Skagway. The cars themselves don't turn around.

When (steam) Engine #79 goes back into service in ::crosses fingers:: 2019,

the cars won't turn around at Frazer Meadows, either. (Can't remember if

there's a short wye there to get the engine facing forwards as well the

headshunt to get it at the front)

So the left-hand windows-with-a-view going up become the right-hand

windows-with-a-view going back.

Okay, so I don't mess this up come game-day.....When you say "left-hand" side. Can you specify which way you are facing? As in:

1. "I'm inside the train facing forward, and the best views will be to my left."

OR

2. "I'm standing on the tracks looking at the face of the engine and the best views will be had by those sitting on the left."

I believe you are saying #1. Like the driver's side of a car.

Thanks!

Okay, so I don't mess this up come game-day.....When you say "left-hand" side. Can you specify which way you are facing? As in:

1. "I'm inside the train facing forward, and the best views will be to my left."

OR

2. "I'm standing on the tracks looking at the face of the engine and the best views will be had by those sitting on the left."

I believe you are saying #1. Like the driver's side of a car.

Thanks!

Yep. #1. (That's why I said "north" ;^) "Portside", if you will.

...assuming you're starting off from Skagway.

Edited by Haboob
added Skagway caveat

• 4 months later...

We did Dyea Dave. Kathy was our drive and it ended up being just Her, my wife and I.

We drove around town, drove up to photo spot for the City (I use that term loosely, lol) of Skagway, the Summit, a little beyond but not all the way through the Canadian entry. Back in town we stopped at the cemetery and then she gave us a insider's tour of the town. She dropped us off at Skagway Brewing, We had beer there and then walked through town down to the Red Onion. Had a beer there and then back on the ship. $90 for the tow of us. Paid with a check. Gave her a tip in cash.

It worked well for us. We did see the train being super convenient. You get off the ship and the train is right there at the dock. As we drove up and stopped for photos we could se the train winding through the pass.

I did not read the whole thread but wanted to post, what we felt was a better alternative. We rented a car and drove all the way to Emerald Lake. It was a beautiful trip (you can see the train traveling on the other side of the mountain) part of the way up. But with a car, you can stop at the Carcross desert, the little towns, waterfalls and vistas along the way. We even stumbled upon a black bear grazing by some railroad tracks and got to watch her at a leisurely pace.

We did Dyea Dave. Kathy was our drive and it ended up being just Her, my wife and I.

We drove around town, drove up to photo spot for the City (I use that term loosely, lol) of Skagway, the Summit, a little beyond but not all the way through the Canadian entry. Back in town we stopped at the cemetery and then she gave us a insider's tour of the town. She dropped us off at Skagway Brewing, We had beer there and then walked through town down to the Red Onion. Had a beer there and then back on the ship. $90 for the tow of us. Paid with a check. Gave her a tip in cash.

It worked well for us. We did see the train being super convenient. You get off the ship and the train is right there at the dock. As we drove up and stopped for photos we could see the train winding through the pass.

Having been to Skagway many times, it seems to me, the train is a better value, especially with the discount coupon. No driving stress, historical, fun and relaxing. The stunning scenic views you get at each curve, photo is fron the animal life grazing near the tracks, from the train, things you could never see from the roadway, fun fact filled entertainment on board. the train platform, stops at the train depot for an included buffet lunch at the top of the pass, a guided tour of a ghost mining town, and the scenic stops (by bus) during the turnaround ride back to Skagway.

Unless you have mobility issues, Skagway is such an easy town to just walk around and experience own your own. Best seen by walking. The town not that big. Five blocks long, three blocks wide on each side of the Main Street? There are free 2 hour guided walking tours of Skagway by National Park rangers from the NPS office and museum, located in center of town.

And, the cruise dock is less than a 10 minute walk from town. JMO.

Happy cruising.

Hung

Edited by Kingofcool1947