Diving Accident

CruiseKing

We're talking about a 52 year old, who "became separated from her diving group" and drowned. We don't know what exactly happened and without any additional information, we really shouldn't speculate, nor throw stones at the dive operator. Diving is a very dangerous activity. Notice, I don't mention sport, it's serious business. There are so many possibilities, from heart attack, to equipment malfunction with which, the inexperienced diver possibly could not cope. We don't know what her experience level was, nor her physical state was. This type of incident should give every diver, food for thought!:cool:

This is a very sad story indeed. However, it has got me thinking. I am a beginner diver. I have only 5 dives under my belt. I havent dove in 6 yrs, but I did take a refresher course (yesterday) as a matter of fact. I am looking forward to diving. I dont have a dive buddy, but I do plan on asking someone once we get to our dive site. I realize I am pretty much inexperienced and would like to pair up with someone that has been around the block a few times. I dont want to hold anyone back though either. Any suggestions?? In March, I will be in St Thomas, St kitts, Greanada, Isla Margarita, and Aruba. Any feedback on any of these places? I realize that this is a dangerous activity, and safety/life is our #1 priority. This incident is a real tragedy and really brings light on just how dangerous this hobby is.

This is a very sad story indeed. However, it has got me thinking. I am a beginner diver. I have only 5 dives under my belt. I havent dove in 6 yrs, but I did take a refresher course (yesterday) as a matter of fact. I am looking forward to diving. I dont have a dive buddy, but I do plan on asking someone once we get to our dive site. I realize I am pretty much inexperienced and would like to pair up with someone that has been around the block a few times. I dont want to hold anyone back though either. Any suggestions?? In March, I will be in St Thomas, St kitts, Greanada, Isla Margarita, and Aruba. Any feedback on any of these places? I realize that this is a dangerous activity, and safety/life is our #1 priority. This incident is a real tragedy and really brings light on just how dangerous this hobby is.

Hi,

The first thing you should do is to really take the time to evaluate what conditions you feel comfortable with. Do waves bother you? Do you have problems with bouyancy or how deep you go? Do you feel at ease in the ocean? The most important part of your dive is deciding to get in the water or not. Also be honest with your dive buddy and let them know the level of your experience and the answers to the questions above. I know I've taken inexperienced people down with me before and knowing what they could and couldn't do really made the difference between having a good dive and having to pull their rears out of the water to safety. Also as a new diver how are you on air? I can get over 70 minutes out of a tank above 65ft. (though you'd be hard pressed to find a dive boat that would let you stay down that long) but on the other hand I dove with a guy who went through his whole tank in 18 minutes. If you haven't developed the breathing technique yet, let your buddy know this as well so they can monitor your air with you. Another thing is navigation. I know when I started out all those reefs looked the same to me. If you need navigation help, ask if your dive buddy minds leading the dive.

Also I think you need to evaluate your dive buddy. Are they someone who is patient and is willing to show you the ropes underwater or are they just as green? Another alternative is to request to dive with the dive master if that's an option. Some boats put their DMs in the water, some don't. But most of all, use the time going to the dive site to get aquainted with your new dive buddy and make sure there's no surprises for when you get wet.

One more thing, I don't know if you've been diving on a dive boat yet but remember there are protocols. Don't get on board before the captain says so. Pick a spot and stay there. Don't spread your equipment out all over the place. Pack any gear you bring in the reverse order that you'll need it. Listen to the dive briefing even if you aren't completed gearing up. Follow any and all rules as far as entering/exiting the water and break down your gear on the way back so the crew don't have to wait for you before they can start cleaning up.:)

Anyway, if you have more specifics I'd be glad to give you more help on this any time.

Hope this helped,

Randall

Archived