Post cruise flight at 7pm what to do?

ahoffmann

Flying out of San Juan at 7pm disembarkation day.

Any suggestions how to best spend the day and get to my flight on time?

I have cruised out of San Juan may times so been and done Old San Juan. Have been to El Yunque.

Have not been to the rest of the island.

Was thinking of renting a car and driving to Ponce or taking one of the post cruise tours offered by Princess.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

The Camuy Caves are amazing and the tour is about 1 & 1/2 hours. There is a small gift shop and eatery right there. Only another 45 minutes near the caves is the largest radio telescope the Arecibo ( seen in Xfiles show)

The park is equipped with picnic areas, walking trails, food facilities, and exhibition hall and a souvenir shop, making it the perfect place to spend a day. Reservations are essential, as this place is understandably popular. Open Wednesdays through Sundays and holidays; 8am to 4pm. For information call: (787) 898-3100 or (787) 763-0568.

http://www.puerto-rico-sunshinetours.com/camuy-caves.htm

Thanks for your replies. Camuy caves sounds really interesting. We will be renting a car after we get off our cruise. Hopefully we will be able to disembark early to be able to get to the caves. I believe the drive is about 1 1/2 hours from San Juan.

I will definitely call for reservations.

We also have a 7:00 pm flight out of SJU, in Feb coming off the Constellation .Last April ( same cruise) I had a late afternoon flight and took a taxi to the Ritz Carlton ( close to the airport) and hung out there all day! I didn't have to get a day pass. That pool area was heaven, giant rafts to float on! had a great lunch there as well. The bathrooms in the lobby are huge and beautiful(to change in bathing suit etc. ) and there is an out door shower down by the pool. Just check your luggage with the Bellman. I do hear that the Marriot is nice too . I would love to be able to book a room just for the day .I am going to call about that.( if they would let you check in early) Have fun, when are you going?

We are leaving on a Princess cruise which returns to San Juan on Jan 28.

Was on the Constellation a few years ago. Beautiful ship.

To those on the board that recommended the Camuy Caves, upon calling them they informed me that if we don't arrive there really early there was no chance of getting in. The caves are really popular they reach capacity early.

Too bad they sounded really interesting but we probably wouldn't make it there until noon.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

AHoffman, we did a post-cruise stay on our last visit to SJ and rented a car and drove to Ponce. It's an easy drive, once you get out of SJ, and Ponce is a beautiful little seaside town. There is a little tourist bus you can ride around for free to see the various sights. It was a lot of fun, and we had a wonderful lunch at the hotel there. Although pricey, it was fantastic food.

On another day, we drove out to Arecibo to see the radar telescope. There is a visitor center there, and it was a very worthwhile trip (if you care for that sort of thing). Here's the website for the center: http://www.naic.edu/outreach/hours_fset.htm

Becki

AHoffman, we did a post-cruise stay on our last visit to SJ and rented a car and drove to Ponce. It's an easy drive, once you get out of SJ, and Ponce is a beautiful little seaside town. There is a little tourist bus you can ride around for free to see the various sights. It was a lot of fun, and we had a wonderful lunch at the hotel there. Although pricey, it was fantastic food.

On another day, we drove out to Arecibo to see the radar telescope. There is a visitor center there, and it was a very worthwhile trip (if you care for that sort of thing). Here's the website for the center: http://www.naic.edu/outreach/hours_fset.htm

Becki

Looking into post cruise options I called the Marriot.

To use the facilities (pool, beach, health club) you need to buy a day pass through the ocean club. $30 per person I believe.

They advised me to call them the day before because sometimes when the hotel is fully booked they will not sell them.

You cannot reserve in advance just buy them when you get there

The luggage can be checked with the bell captain. Don't know if there is a charge, probably have to tip them.

Its difficult to call them direct since they have a small staff, so I went the local reservation number and they connected me.

Archived