Our Day in Grand Cayman - NativeWay & Rays, Reef, & Rum Point

tbag124

The following is taken from my review on the Carnival board for our cruise on the Carnival Liberty 12/4/05 - 12/10/05

Wednesday, 12/7 – Grand Cayman – My Favorite Day!

We got up early this morning. Unfortunately, Tuesday night I started to get a sore throat that would bother me for the rest of the week, but NOTHING was stopping me from going to Grand Cayman! So I loaded up on Advil and started our day. We were nervous about getting a tender in time b/c they made it sound like if you didn’t have a Carnival tour booked, you weren't getting off the ship til after 9:30. We went down to the Victoria lounge where the Carnival tours were meeting around 8:15 to see what the deal was. Butch, the Asst. Cruise Director told me to go to the Venetian Palace and maybe they would open early. Well, they did, seemed like that was the plan all along. We got tender #1 tickets and only waited about 15 mins from when we walked in the lounge til we were on the tender. We made it over by 8:50. We were supposed to check in for our Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour w/ NativeWay at 9:15, so this was perfect.

We checked out the Rum Store right near the tender lines and wished we ordered what we wanted then b/c we took too long when we came back figuring out what we wanted and we missed the time frame to place our order. Oh Well! We got a couple bottles on the ship. Our tour left right on time. We were directed by Sheldon to walk a bit across town (about 5 mins) to their van. We loaded everyone up and went to the pier.

Our Rays Reef and Rum Point tour only had SEVEN people on it. I can't tell you enough how much I LOVED this tour. It was so intimate and personal and just by looking at the herds of ppl on the Carnival tours, I knew I did the right thing. Besides saving a ton of money.

Our guide was Chris, he was great. The Stingrays were crowded, so we went to the Reef first for snorkeling. This part wasn't really for me, I knew when I booked it. I am really not into snorkeling or being up close and personal w/ fish. So I just kinda hung back by the boat. Chris, tried to coax me out, grabbed my hand, swam me out a little bit, I thought that was very nice and he was going the extra mile. But I just wasn’t into it. It just wasn't for me. I wasn't disappointed though. I knew this want for me, I knew my DF would like this part and he did. I was really excited about the Stingrays and Rum Point.

Next, we went to the Stingrays, which I absolutely LOVED!! I was a little freaked out at first, as I know many are. But you get used to them and they are so soft and friendly. I actually held one!! I really didn’t think I would but I'm glad I did and DF got a picture for proof. This part of the excursion was really great. I am so glad I had these boards to recommend it. I was so much fun, we are still raving about it to everyone!

Then, we went to Rum Point Beach which was awesome! DF wants to move there! It is just a perfect little slice of heaven. Not crowded, beautiful water, what more can you ask for? We were served a TERRIFIC lunch. Chris took our order on the boat and they had it ready for us when we got there. Let me just say that our lunch was so delicious. I had the Spicy Mahi-Mahi Caesar Wrap w/ fries and DF had Chicken Tenders w/ fries. They give you a very big serving and everything tasted really good.

This excursion was SO worth $55/person!! Lunch alone probably would've cost us almost that much in Grand Cayman. We, of course, had to have a Rum drink at Rum point, these were very pricey at about $10 each, but worth it for the experience. We gave Chris a nice tip, he really deserved it. I will recommend NativeWay to everyone. This was a really fantastic day.

Tendering back over was very easy. We were only in line about 10 mins even though the line was long.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just reserved this tour. We have snorkled a couple of times and I love it but kind of nervous about snorkling off a boat. Did you have to dive down to see any fish or notice people doing that? Also do they take pictures with the stingrays and how much were they if they did.

Thanks for info on Coz - Rum Punch Beach sounds like to place I am looking for. Any thoughts on 2 people taking a taxi there for the day? Are there hotels - that offer chair, food and beverage? Any ideas will be appreciated. FYI - we are there on RC next week I think on the 12th! Sounds like we will have lots of company.

We have just reserved this tour. We have snorkled a couple of times and I love it but kind of nervous about snorkling off a boat. Did you have to dive down to see any fish or notice people doing that? Also do they take pictures with the stingrays and how much were they if they did.

Hi, I didnt really snokel too much, but I dont think you had to dive down to see everything. I saw lots of ppl floating on the top of the water. On our trip, there were only 7 ppl, so they didnt have a cameraman or anything like that, probably b/c our group was so small. Not one that I noticed anyway. But I have heard of other people saying they did a video or something of their trip. I didnt see that on ours. We just took a lot of pics w/ our disposable underwater cameras. Hope that helps! :)

Have sent two emails to Nativeway...no reply?

I would try again. They were very quick to respond. One of their emails got lost in the shuffle to me and when I emailed them to ask about it, they got back to me w/in a day.

Thanks for info on Coz - Rum Punch Beach sounds like to place I am looking for. Any thoughts on 2 people taking a taxi there for the day? Are there hotels - that offer chair, food and beverage? Any ideas will be appreciated. FYI - we are there on RC next week I think on the 12th! Sounds like we will have lots of company.

Hi, As far as I know, it is a very long ride to Rum Point Beach via taxi. I saw a thread about ppl renting a car to get there. That might be the way you want to go. If you don't want to book an excursion, like the one we did, and get there by boat, you should check out the thread on this board (Grand Cayman) called "Rum Point Beach - Not to be missed" or something like that. That has a lot of details about getting there on your own and what the island has to offer. We really only hung out at the beach club part, in front of the resturant, but I think I remember reading that there is 1 hotel there or something? I'm not sure. It is a very nice empty spot, not tons of ppl. Hope that helps! :)

Archived