Brooklyn Red Hook Cruise Terminal

travel-to-go

Just to stir up the waters,

I happened upon an email from someone whose business is located in the area of the new Cruise Terminal in Brooklyn.

Attached is an artist's rendering of the new terminal

You can get more info on a webpage from an organization called "waterfrontMatters.org" detailing meetings and such for the past couple of years pertaining to the new terminal and the QM2's pending move.

http://www.waterfrontmatters.org/pages/9/index.htm

Ooops, sorry, the PDF is too big.

Here is a direct link to it.

http://www.waterfrontmatters.org/images/Carnvial_rendering_from_water.pdf

Be sure to check some of the "In The News" articles.

Karie

Attached is an artist's rendering of the new terminal Karie

Karie,

This is the 'old' New terminal, originally destined for Pier 7, but now to be Pier 12 - a dock alongside pier, rather than a finger pier as is Pier 7. But I'm sure the immediate area is just as nice!;)

Peter

Just to stir up the waters,

I happened upon an email from someone whose business is located in the area of the new Cruise Terminal in Brooklyn.

Attached is an artist's rendering of the new terminal

You can get more info on a webpage from an organization called "waterfrontMatters.org" detailing meetings and such for the past couple of years pertaining to the new terminal and the QM2's pending move.

http://www.waterfrontmatters.org/pages/9/index.htm

Ooops, sorry, the PDF is too big.

Here is a direct link to it.

http://www.waterfrontmatters.org/images/Carnvial_rendering_from_water.pdf

Be sure to check some of the "In The News" articles.

Karie

As someone who owns a logistics business with an office in the South Bronx, I won't even let my drivers spend the night in Red Hook, even though there is lots of parking for semi trucks. Nothing but hookers, pimps, and drug dealers in the area after about 5:00PM. No food, nothing!!!!

Someone should have their head examined for locating a cruise pier there. I don't care how nice the facilities will be, the neighborhood will still be the same. And cruises that don't leave until after 5:00PM will have to hire so much extra security just to keep the watch sellers, hookers, etc. away from the passengers, it will be a money drain, not a plus. And for those that want to go explore NYC before their cruise, how are they going to get into Manhattan? Most people are not bold enough to get on a bus or subway to go exploring. Taxi fares are prohibitively expensive and you generally don't find a lot of taxis in that area. Even the taxi drivers avoid it. Another Carnival fiasco. I'm off my soapbox.

As someone who owns a logistics business with an office in the South Bronx, I won't even let my drivers spend the night in Red Hook, even though there is lots of parking for semi trucks. Nothing but hookers, pimps, and drug dealers in the area after about 5:00PM. No food, nothing!!!!

Well, obviously, I am about the least qualified person here to speak on the matter, having never (as far as I know) been anywhere near there. I have driven once to Nassau Coliseum and gotten lost in -I'm not sure where, but probably not a good neighborhood. I remember going by some botanical garden, and a lot of area where everything was in Spanish. I have taken the train in for concerts at MSG, and ridden a company car to Jacob Javits center (I wasn't driving) for the Info (IT and Telecom) shows back in the 80s. That's pretty nearly the limit of my knowledge- Oh yeah, I drove THROUGH on the way to Philly and back last August- nearly got in trouble trying to get over to Palisades PKWY on my way back- See the sign for exit 1 mile- make my way over to the far right through traffic, only to discover that the exit was the third lane in! People were nice and let me in- I guess I looked like a lost soul with my CT plates! I must say signage coming up there is lacking. the signs coming up from New Jersey give you the option of Lincoln Tunnel and GW Bridge, neither of whcih I was taking! No "Thru Traffic" or anything else! I was afraid I had gone off into never-never land! And this waw during one of the yellow or orange or whatever alerts where they weren't letting certain vehicles in the Holland tunnel due to fears of something getting blown up in the tunnel. Also I Went to see Statue of liberty when I was maybe 10, if that- Plus the '64 (?) World's Fair. That's about it!

Oh yeah- took a Baseball trip on a limo/bus- (one of the short buses with a bathroom) All I remember was the Cross Bronx Expy and that if you slowed down below 10 mph they were liable to steal the tires off your vehicle while it was still rolling! <LOL> Scary place!

Karie

Thanks for the lessons in Geography/Sociology, all!

(Hmm, which if those "careers" could I use to pay for my next cruise out of "the Dark Side")- Just kidding! How bout selling all of that Bloomies stuff and boomboxes from another thread?

Still, it seems that some of the arguments FOR the neighborhood is that they are trying to put up "deluxe" condos, and I guess a few blocks away are a couple of gourmet food places and art museums. Is it the beginning of a renaissance or wishful thinking? I haven't a clue! Maybe re-gentrification? Maybe. they said there was a speciality liquor store over on Van-something.

Folks say that the ships will now move down Buttermilk Channel I guess this goes alongthe East side of Manhattan instead of the west? Is there nothing worth seeing there? Either way, it goes by Miss Liberty. I'm asking earnestly, as I don't know! Idid happen to stumble upon something recently that Idid not know. Did you know there used to be an airport on Governor's Island? You can still see the outlines of the runway if you fly over it. I think when it was last used it was a Coast Guard field. There's some history all around!

Oh well, I wish them luck at Red Hook. Maybe I will find out some day!

We are travelling on the LA- NY QM2 South American voyage and have been informed that our arrival (Sat April 15 2006) will be in Brooklyn as part of the opening ceremony.

Is this true??????

Cunard office in Australia also advised that the addition of Fort Lauderdale to the itenary was so that the ship could be provisioned without having to rely on the new facility. I imagine that they would perhaps be expecting some "teething" problems.

Any up to date information would be appreciated.

Archived