How light should I pack?

lilducky

I keep hearing and seeing that I should pack as light as I can for my cruise. Now, as I am quite anal about planning things and all, Id like to get everything I can into my suitecase NOW, and make a list of what else I will be adding in as the date gets closer. Any idea how many pairs of pants and shorts I should pack? Long sleeved and short sleeved/tank tops? On a normal trip I would pack one set of clothes for each day and then some extra as well. Im told I certainly do not want to do this for the cruise. And is there anything I should make sure I bring that a first time cruiser like myself might not think of? TIA!

That depends on which cruise line you are going with and how many days you have on the ship. Carnival, for example, has laundramats on some of their ships (our ship had one on our level). When we were on Celebrity Zenith, you could only send your clothes out to be cleaned by the staff. If you are on a short cruise, then you don't want to have to do laundry. A 7 nighter might be different. Then I'd say about 3-4 pairs of pants/shorts and then do a load of laundry if possible. On the other hand, how dirty do you get? Can you wear the same pair of pants or shorts 2 days in a row? Give us some more information to go on and then we'll try to help you. Thanks.

Each person, itinerary, etc. is different, but here's what I learned from my first cruise last week, for which I *seriously* over-packed. We did a 7-night Caribbean.

Don't load up on shorts and capris. What wound up happening is that I wore those only on sea days. On port days, I wore my bathing suit and appropriate coverup, then dressed for dinner where no shorts are allowed (this could vary with line/dining style/preference for buffet). Our next cruise, I'm taking 3 shorts and 2 capris - that's it.

Take as few slacks as possible and just change out tops - no one will ever know the difference.

Take your most comfortable sandals, a pair of tennies and a pair of dress shoes and just live with it - regardless of how much of a shoe hog you are. Shoes take up a lot of room.

Take at least 3 bathing suits - you'll wear them pretty much every day and I just feel icky if I wear the same one more than twice without washing it.

Take a light jacket and one pair of light "warm" pants - no more. If you get lucky like we did (assuming you're doing something warm weather) you won't even need those.

Try to take as lightweight clothes as possible.

Don't fold your clothes - roll them. It saves A LOT of room and they won't get as wrinkled. I took a steamer but only used it once and could have done without it then.

"Stuff" is harder. I took a lot of first aid (analgesics, antacid, bandaids, etc.) and never needed them - but what if we had needed them? I think I'll still take them next time.

The two best things I took were the over the door shoe holder so often recommended here and 2 gallon zip lock bags. The bags were so popular I gave quite a few of them away to folks who thought they were a great idea. They're primarily used on port trips that involve water - and then not water. Great way to keep up with wet clothes and water shoes.

Most importantly of all, take your sunny attitude, your patience, your tolerance and your fun-loving gene and have a great cruise!

Hi Ducky, and welcome to the boards.:)

It's SO easy to get carried away and pack 'way too much clothing. You will realize, once on board, that nobody really pays any attention to what you're wearing. I take everything that will mix-and-match, particularly evening wear. One pair of black dressy shoes can go w/all your evening outfits. One pair of tennies, some deck slides, and I'm good to go. One black evening bag; otherwise, totes can be taken anywhere.

You can take a few pair of shorts and several different tops to go with them, to change the look; same for capris or pants. Bear in mind that you may even buy a few new tees/tops while on the cruise.

Rule of thumb: Pack what you think you'll need - then take out half the clothing and leave it at home.:D

TidePrideGA, I have to agree with everything you have written. As far as the first aid kit goes, take just a couple tabs of each medicine (cold, stomach etc...) and just a small amount of other meds, it cuts way down on that kit. I can fit my whole first aid kit into a sandwich bag.

lilducky, restrain yourself from packing now, do it just a day or two before you leave. Otherwise, you will end up packing way too much and forget some things have already been packed, or you may forget something you are currently using and have thought to pack later.

Instead, make yourself packing lists - and stick to them when you pack, checking off as you go.

It helps to organize your list by listing the days/evenings and what you will be needing for those days. That way you can see how to mix and match and what can be left behind. I keep packing lists on my computer, on a spreadsheet, then just tweak it for every trip we take. There is a great list on another site, cruisediva dot com.

You really can wear some things twice, you really will save room by not taking 10 pair of shoes, you really do need your most comfortable shoes. I also take along 3-4 bathing suits on a warm weather cruise, you're in those more than any other article of clothing.

After packing both ways, light and over-the-top, I have to say packing light is a more desirable way to travel. Not only do you not have as much to pack, haul, organize, then re-haul home again, it's cheaper (no new clothing purchases), less laundry when you get home from a cruise. You can move around easier, not have as much to deal with checking in and out of airports, hotels, cruise ships, getting in and out of taxis, shuttles and not have the big pile of stuff blocking everyone elses way at all the above locations.

I will be flying into Miami FL on Jan 13th. On Jan 14th we board the ship for our 7 day/night western caribbean cruise. Im trying to fit everything into one carryon and one large suitcase for myself, and the same for my BF.

Sounds like a good plan ducky. A large suitcase and a good carry-on should carry all you need. One little hint: Cross-pack some of each person's clothing in both large suitcases. That way if one of the bags goes missing enroute, at least one will have some clothing for each person. We once did a "his" suitcase and a "hers" suitcase and had a near disaster when "hers" didn't arrive till the next day. Its also a good idea to carry a change of clothing including under garments in the carry-on bag. That's the one bag you know will go where you go because you carry it yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

To make room for items that will be purchased, pack and/or wear some clothing that you can throw away. For example: when I replace my gym shoes I store the old pair for my next cruise. They are destined for the trash anyway therefore I wait and put them to one final use while on a cruise. I wear the tennis shoes when they are needed on the cruise and then leave them in the trash can in my cabin when I do my final packing. (This was especially helpful when climbing Dunns River Falls). I do the same with socks and underwear and have even tossed a pair of pants. It is amazing how much extra space I can create when doing my return packing...and equally surprising how quickly my spouse can hand me purchases to fill it.

It can never be said enough (as mentioned earlier) that one should pack far less than one thinks will be needed (especially on a Caribbean cruise).

Archived